Need things for Lasagne

fredwiggy

Looking, specifically in Sisaket province, for Ricotta (or cottage) cheese, lasagne noodles and ground ,lean, beef. I live close to Ubon Ratchathani and Sisaket, and I've been to Tops, but didn't look when I went there. I've found mozzarella, ground chicken and parmesan, but need the rest. Preferably Ricotta but would substitute Cottage cheese. Anyone know specific stores in the two cities?

https://www.tops.co.th/en/filata-ricotta-cheese-200g-c?from=search

https://www.tops.co.th/en/tops-minced-beef-10percent-fat-200g-8853474030811?from=search

https://www.makroclick.com/en/search-results/?keyword=lasagne

If your store doesn't have it, you can order it online. I couldn't find lasagne sheets, but Makro has it.

Edit; I just asked my better half and she said the tops market in Ubon (Central Plaza) has all three of these things.

Edited by 2530Ubon

It's made with both sheets and long flat noodles. I have many Italian relatives, some from Sicily, and they use both Ricotta and Bechamel. Tops didn't have either, nor cottage cheese, so I went to Big C and got cottage. It's a fair substitute. The sheets do absorb more of the sauce, so that's why a lot use them. I'm Polish/Irish and watching my relatives as I grew up got me to make a great lasagne. I make it leaner than usual, using lean ground beef and turkey, and turkey sausage, but also use all the full fat ingredients occasionally.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It's made with both sheets and long flat noodles. I have many Italian relatives, some from Sicily, and they use both Ricotta and Bechamel. Tops didn't have either, nor cottage cheese, so I went to Big C and got cottage. It's a fair substitute. The sheets do absorb more of the sauce, so that's why a lot use them. I'm Polish/Irish and watching my relatives as I grew up got me to make a great lasagne. I make it leaner than usual, using lean ground beef and turkey, and turkey sausage, but also use all the full fat ingredients occasionally.

Sheets is what interests me, I tried to make lasagna a few years back, naively I bought the sheets uncooked and with instructions on the box to cook the sheets in oil before putting it all together.

Cooking the sheets (in oil as per the instructions) was a total disaster, never made lasagna again.

But good luck, hope it all works well and delicious.

Edited by scorecard

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sheets is what interests me, I tried to make lasagna a few years back, naively I bought the sheets uncooked and with instructions on the box to cook the sheets in oil before putting it all together.

Cooking the sheets (in oil as per the instructions) was a total disaster, never made lasagna again.

But good luck, hope it all works well and delicious.

Cook the sheets in a large pot of salted water, with some oil added. Stir constantly, and don't cook long. Just a few minutes after boiling is enough.Using long flat noodles, if you can find them here (I haven't yet) is a lot easier, and it makes a great lasagne also.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:20 AM, fredwiggy said:

Looking, specifically in Sisaket province, for Ricotta (or cottage) cheese, lasagne noodles and ground ,lean, beef. I live close to Ubon Ratchathani and Sisaket, and I've been to Tops, but didn't look when I went there. I've found mozzarella, ground chicken and parmesan, but need the rest. Preferably Ricotta but would substitute Cottage cheese. Anyone know specific stores in the two cities?

For Good ground beef in Thailand, get a meat grinder and make your own. The come from hand operated ,for a couple of hundred baht to electric for a thousand or two. look in Lazada. With  some of the better meat grinders, you can also make sausages. 

For the Pasta , it is easy to make on your own (look on youtube) , I do all the time. search "Pasta roller" on Lazada I saw a very nice one for two thousand baht. 

image.png.fc66d893049160acedb68eb7221ab3a9.png