Why Skytrain fare hike may end up wrecking Bangkok’s mass-transit success story

webfact

1 hour ago, chasboyuk said:

Will TIT ever learn, if you want people to get out of their cars and use it, you got keep it worthwhile.

Especially as money is getting tighter for the average Thai. 

Not Thailand, but on the same subject. I recently had to travel the 100 miles (160 km) to London rtn recently. It cost around £90 on the train, all-up, probably could've done it for £70 by car.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

But is the minimum wage in Australia twice that of Thailand?  Minimum wage Thailand is about 313336 baht. If Australians only earn minimum wage of 672 baht (about $30) per day then your comment is valid otherwise it's comparing apples with oranges.

Even on the dole (unemployment benefits)  they earn more than $30 a day but then get concessions on public transport.

Sky train users are not minimum wage. Your forgetting cost of living. I'm in Oz now and its through the rough 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone has made some good points but the 65b fare was in place a long time...I think Mo Chit to Bearing ?   Wouldn’t future fares be agreed upon before big expansions of the line are undertaken ?  The government has some serious responsibility here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eventually the supply and demand rules would kick in. The higher the price, the fewer the consumers. And with that, the prices of land and residences further away from the city centre would start dropping as people would move closer to MRT rather than BTS. I'd say - let them raise it. They can raise it to 10,000 baht per 1 km, and still won't make any more revenue than now, virtually certainly far less than they do now despite higher fares.

• Like 1

I doubt that the small increase will impact ridership level. The cars are packed much of the day. BTS has never been the transit option for the  working poor. This is transit for the urban middle class and they have the money to pay, and the numbers top keep cars full.

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

104 baht gets you quite a distance in a taxi. 

Also gets you traffic jams with delays.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Not Thailand, but on the same subject. I recently had to travel the 100 miles (160 km) to London rtn recently. It cost around £90 on the train, all-up, probably could've done it for £70 by car.

Ok. And you factor in wear and tear and the cost of parking in London?  How much is parking in London now, assuming you can find a place? £6-10 and hour, isn't it? A few hours will set one back £25 easy. Add in the cost of time too because of London traffic congestion.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Elkski said:

105 baht each way.  210  That will be 25% of many workers daily wage.   I guess it's been so crowded they think they can raise fares.  So much for those who rent or bought a condo way out on the line. 

It has been free from Bearing to Keha since 2018. Nine stations, about 12 kms. Commuters have been using this and got used to it and now they will have to pay extra.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

I doubt that the small increase will impact ridership level. The cars are packed much of the day. BTS has never been the transit option for the  working poor. This is transit for the urban middle class and they have the money to pay, and the numbers top keep cars full.

Also gets you traffic jams with delays.

Ok. And you factor in wear and tear and the cost of parking in London?  How much is parking in London now, assuming you can find a place? £6-10 and hour, isn't it? A few hours will set one back £25 easy. Add in the cost of time too because of London traffic congestion.

I factored in the cost of fuel, parking, and congestion charge, still cheaper than the train. Time wise, it took 8 hours, about the same as in the car, or even more. By car was cheaper than the train. If you go on the internet, you can get parking for £3-5 per hour.

They privatised the trains many years ago in the UK, train fares have been rising ever since. Forget all that BS about competition making things cheaper, it didn't here. With competition came the profit-motive.