Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

GPS coordinates without Internet


Recommended Posts

Hello, I would like to have an application which gives me my GPS  location , on my smartphone, for instance if I have an accident, to explain the insurance where I am

 

I have already a GPS Garmin, but I don't have it all the time with me ( I am with a motobike ) and to have a smartphone with me is more convenient when I don't travel far 

I have GPS Route Finder, but I think I must have Internet on my smartphone to use  , and I don't want it  ( on my PC, it's enough ) 

thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many smart watches that have GPS. Mine is a Garmin Fenix but there are other Garmin watches and other brands.. The Garmin connect app that it can link with on your smartphone (is required) is also great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhacsyn said:

There are many smart watches that have GPS. Mine is a Garmin Fenix but there are other Garmin watches and other brands.. The Garmin connect app that it can link with on your smartphone (is required) is also great. 

Sorry should say if required for smartphone

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

https://www.am22tech.com/does-gps-use-internet-data/

 

Internet is NOT needed for your phone to get GPS co-ordinates.

Another example is Sygic, download the maps and you have an offline gps position and guidance system, motoring or walking as you choose. NO internet required.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO 

 

Just get a cheap internet account. Just a basic one and then you can use line to send your location and GPS really easy. Line is often used in Thailand if you start using programs that others don't use it won't be good. But with line you can send and share locations.

 

An internet package can be had from a couple of 100bt a month so that is what you will have to pay for safety.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Another example is Sygic, download the maps and you have an offline gps position and guidance system, motoring or walking as you choose. NO internet required.

Sure but how to send it to your insurance then or to know that they know what to do with these coordinates. I have found it most easy to just get internet and use line for these kind of things. Most Thai companies have line and most Thais have it too. So its an universal program that can be used to share location.

 

I don't see why a couple of 100bt is such a problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Another example is Sygic, download the maps and you have an offline gps position and guidance system, motoring or walking as you choose. NO internet required.

 

When I was working in the remote and jungly bits of Myanmar and away from their otherwise fast 4G network, I downloaded the relevant google maps to my smartphone for offline use. Worked fine.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NanLaew said:

 

When I was working in the remote and jungly bits of Myanmar and away from their otherwise fast 4G network, I downloaded the relevant google maps to my smartphone for offline use. Worked fine.

The problem is not really getting a GPS coordinate from a map. The problem is sending it to an insurance agency and making sure they understand how to use it. So compatability of apps would be far more important. Just having a GPS coordinate does not make it easy for the insurer. Unless they are a bit tech savey. If not then your screwed.

 

IMHO anything that is not standard or takes a lot of doing is hard to communicate with Thais. Best is to keep it simple and just use line to send a location and not fret about 100bt or so internet subscription per month. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, robblok said:

IMHO 

 

Just get a cheap internet account. Just a basic one and then you can use line to send your location and GPS really easy. Line is often used in Thailand if you start using programs that others don't use it won't be good. But with line you can send and share locations.

 

An internet package can be had from a couple of 100bt a month so that is what you will have to pay for safety.

 

I recall in another thread where members didn't have a data package for ThaiChana or MorChana tracking apps, I recall @Eindhoven suggested a DTAC package that apparently gives you 1-year of 64 kbps data.

 

*103*55*9#

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

 

I recall in another thread where members didn't have a data package for ThaiChana or MorChana tracking apps, I recall @Eindhoven suggested a DTAC package that apparently gives you 1-year of 64 kbps data.

 

*103*55*9#

You seem to have the same memories as me. I read that too and it would be good enough for this use. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, by Not being 4G etc online, but purely GPS, your Co-ords are set by the satellite network - whereas if using the Assisted-GPS you are likely to be have the Co-ords recorded for the location(s) of the 4G network transmitter tower... even more so if say the signal was sooo low that you were sligned via a single 4G tower. This means you could easily be 'seen' as being 40km or so away from your true gps location...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, robblok said:

The problem is not really getting a GPS coordinate from a map. The problem is sending it to an insurance agency and making sure they understand how to use it. So compatability of apps would be far more important. Just having a GPS coordinate does not make it easy for the insurer. Unless they are a bit tech savey. If not then your screwed.

 

IMHO anything that is not standard or takes a lot of doing is hard to communicate with Thais. Best is to keep it simple and just use line to send a location and not fret about 100bt or so internet subscription per month. 

 

I see that issue but isn't there an option to save the location coordinates and share as a simple sms? You don't need a data package for sms. Then it's up to the insurance company's agent to be savvy enough to work that out (hopefully he moonlights as a Food Panda or Grab delivery guy!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but how to send it to your insurance then or to know that they know what to do with these coordinates. I have found it most easy to just get internet and use line for these kind of things. Most Thai companies have line and most Thais have it too. So its an universal program that can be used to share location.

 

I don't see why a couple of 100bt is such a problem.

Only any good if you have a signal or connection. If you are not in the postion to make a connection then its useless so cost doesnt enter into it. Thats when you need offline option to record where etc and screenshot it, so you can forward it later when a connection is available.Atleast its all recorded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Only any good if you have a signal or connection. If you are not in the postion to make a connection then its useless so cost doesnt enter into it. Thats when you need offline option to record where etc and screenshot it, so you can forward it later when a connection is available.Atleast its all recorded.

Sure, but it looked as if the OP was talking about motorbike travel not far from home. I think much of Thailand has internet coverage. Unless you go trekking or anything like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

 

I see that issue but isn't there an option to save the location coordinates and share as a simple sms? You don't need a data package for sms. Then it's up to the insurance company's agent to be savvy enough to work that out (hopefully he moonlights as a Food Panda or Grab delivery guy!)

I would not get your hopes up, i even got people (grab) that cant deliver to my home even with my GPS coordinates. They still ask what street i live in. Anything out of the ordinary is usually too much. That is why i prefer to keep it simple. Almost everyone has line and it has a easy way to send your location. All they need to do is click on the screen. 

 

Maybe that an sms with coordinates goes straight to googlemaps (if that is the case) then it should be sufficient too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

... besides the last time in Thailand, my mobilephone that I was using for GPS purposes, I had set as Offline for the entire 3 weeks we were there and driving about. 

When we finally arrived home and online in OZ again; I looked at my Google Maps on the PC, logging into the original email account of the phone (remembering it had been Offline for the entire period in LOS) - and every single turn, drives, Rest stop locations and durations were all truthfully represented and displayed on the PC. My phone had faithfully offline recorded (cached?) all relevant data to enable the Google account to be updated/appeneded with all that mobile offline co-ords data... 

 

It was a sort of two step process, once on the PC

 

At first many of the 'journeys' (when perusing History) were displayed as straight lines from the Beginning and End locations of each trip.'

RightClicking on each 'blue leg' enabled all the exact 'tracks' to be appended as follows: 

957491157_GPStoA-GPS.png.55f2d5d62668b990fc9267d050065b7a.png

 

remembering that the entire LOS visit was done on a GPS Offline mobile, that never had any Thai (or any) SIM installed.... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe for the benefit of the poor ol' Uber eats deliverer - that one has Stored on ones offline GPS Mobile:

- a Saved photo of what their Front Door Address looks like as if from a StreetView snap?

 

a picture speaks a 1000 words

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tifino said:

... besides the last time in Thailand, my mobilephone that I was using for GPS purposes, I had set as Offline for the entire 3 weeks we were there and driving about. 

When we finally arrived home and online in OZ again; I looked at my Google Maps on the PC, logging into the original email account of the phone (remembering it had been Offline for the entire period in LOS) - and every single turn, drives, Rest stop locations and durations were all truthfully represented and displayed on the PC. My phone had faithfully offline recorded (cached?) all relevant data to enable the Google account to be updated/appeneded with all that mobile offline co-ords data... 

 

It was a sort of two step process, once on the PC

 

At first many of the 'journeys' (when perusing History) were displayed as straight lines from the Beginning and End locations of each trip.'

RightClicking on each 'blue leg' enabled all the exact 'tracks' to be appended as follows: 

957491157_GPStoA-GPS.png.55f2d5d62668b990fc9267d050065b7a.png

 

remembering that the entire LOS visit was done on a GPS Offline mobile, that never had any Thai (or any) SIM installed.... 

 

 

You have read and agreed with the terms of usage and privacy when turned your new phone on for the first time :biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fdsa said:

 

You have read and agreed with the terms of usage and privacy when turned your new phone on for the first time :biggrin:

my mind has taken more than one minute to attempt to decipher the above...   

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OP,you can always just turn on mobile internet in case of emergency.

Have line or messenger installed if you don't have that already.

I gather you have a prepaid sim?

Activate internet,open line or messenger,send share location and done!

Do not forget to turn of the internet after the insurance people have arrived.

If there are Thai people around it is as easy as hand over your phone to let them

know people where you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tifino said:

my mind has taken more than one minute to attempt to decipher the above...   

 

Sorry, let me clarify:

when you buy a new phone and start it for the very first time it offers some personalization (language, time, etc) and asks to confirm with Google's (if Android) or Apple's (if iPhone) terms of privacy.

These 300+ page terms could be shrinked to the single phrase "we will gather and sell every possible bit of information about you, regardless of your privacy settings".

You have read and agreed with these terms.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fdsa said:

 

Sorry, let me clarify:

when you buy a new phone and start it for the very first time it offers some personalization (language, time, etc) and asks to confirm with Google's (if Android) or Apple's (if iPhone) terms of privacy.

These 300+ page terms could be shrinked to the single phrase "we will gather and sell every possible bit of information about you, regardless of your privacy settings".

You have read and agreed with these terms.

yet the GPS features (i.e.the Offline) all fully functions from a mobile that I got 2nd/3rd hand from a pawnshop - which I subsequently factory reset back to scratch upon turning it on...  (i never, and still have not attributed any SIM to it) 

When I get these old preloved phones; apart from the TRestet, I always ticked 'No' to anything regarding: Collections/feedback/Updates etc etc 

 

I originally got my swathe of these mobiles from a CashConverters/pawnShop, purely for nonSim IpCam use; not originally ever wanting to use for GPS... but I needed one for the trip... 

  What you're referring to is more likely any agreement one had when creating a new gmail account for using Google (gmail, Maps etc) accounts...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fdsa said:

try OsmAnd or Maps.me

I found Map.me excellent......you just download what you want...when I go to Oz I download Sydney, wipe it off and download BKK or all of Thailand. they just update for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I found Map.me excellent......you just download what you want...when I go to Oz I download Sydney, wipe it off and download BKK or all of Thailand. they just update for you.

yes I used map.me for driving all over europe in a rental 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tifino said:

yet the GPS features (i.e.the Offline) all fully functions from a mobile that I got 2nd/3rd hand from a pawnshop - which I subsequently factory reset back to scratch upon turning it on...  (i never, and still have not attributed any SIM to it) 

When I get these old preloved phones; apart from the TRestet, I always ticked 'No' to anything regarding: Collections/feedback/Updates etc etc 

 

I originally got my swathe of these mobiles from a CashConverters/pawnShop, purely for nonSim IpCam use; not originally ever wanting to use for GPS... but I needed one for the trip... 

  What you're referring to is more likely any agreement one had when creating a new gmail account for using Google (gmail, Maps etc) accounts...

 

Regardless of what you check or don't check or whether it has a SIM or not, if you turn on an android or apple phone and connect to the internet, you are still traceable by the handsets IMSI number.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...