GPS coordinates without Internet

Aforek

On 2/9/2021 at 11:34 AM, wprime said:

Take a photo, it should record the GPS co-ordinates in the metadata of the photo.

didn't find where it is

thanks for the answers, I have Google maps and OsmAnd, I will have a try 

jvs, good advice ! 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, robblok said:

An internet package can be had from a couple of 100bt a month so that is what you will have to pay for safety.

Couple of 100 bt ? which one ? my GF has one with AIS ( I think ), and she pays 320 bahts/month 

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

Couple of 100 bt ? which one ? my GF has one with AIS ( I think ), and she pays 320 bahts/month 

Just shop around a bit in this topic there was a suggestion. But for me 320 is a couple of 100bt. But im sure there are cheaper ones depending on the internet speed. You don't need fast speed just a connection. So im sure cheap is available

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 4:59 AM, robblok said:

The problem is not really getting a GPS coordinate from a map. The problem is sending it to an insurance agency and making sure they understand how to use it.

Nowhere did the OP say that he wants to send the GPS coordinates to his insurance agency. From everything he wrote, he obviously would give them this information in a phone call.

27 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Nowhere did the OP say that he wants to send the GPS coordinates to his insurance agency. From everything he wrote, he obviously would give them this information in a phone call.

Just for your information its quite hard to imput GPS coordinates and expect the right place. As for instance garmin uses different coordinates then google. When i said send i assumed by mail message or line. I did not even think about doing it by phone. The problems there are even worse. 

The OP clearly does not want to use mobile data but it just occurred to me that there is a way to send the coordinates from his phone without an Internet connection, ie with an SMS.

You don't even need a dedicated GPS app for this as you can copy the coordinates of your position directly from Google Maps and paste them into the SMS.

Edited by Puccini

• 2 weeks later...

Not a GPS app as such, but this app has already saved several lives and now the UK police recommend it.

It's called What3Words and is available from app stores.

https://what3words.com/language.valid.bedding

How it works is, the world is divided up into 3m x 3m squares. Each given a three word name. available in several languages. Here is an article from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760

I just wish the Thai postal service and Lazada couriers would start using it. ????

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, Aforek said:

I think I must have Internet on my smartphone to use  , and I don't want it 

Every smart phone these days has a GPS antenna built in so you don't need internet. Buying a Garmin is something we did in the early 90's before smart phones.

Many latest mid range phone models come with multi band GPS antennas (with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC) for even more precise fixes usually sub 3 m.  If you just want coordinates lat/longs there are many apps to display this like GPS status that don't need internet. If you want a map background there are many free apps to install country wide base maps on the smart phone. I use Maps.me and Here We Go maps but the choices are infinite. Having internet also helps with support data like live traffic status on roads, but these are not needed for GPS to work.

• Like 1