Thai olive oil and honey , real or fake ?

superal

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Like many folks on here I've travelled around the world a bit and tasted many olive oils, and many of them are very good, but a couple of the best I've ever tasted, I tasted in New Zealand!

About 30 minutes north of me in Auckland there was an olive company called the Albany Olive Press, and I visited it and met with the English owner, and he showed me around, and also showed me the machinery that produced the oil, and of course I got to taste several versions, and I have to say they were lovely.

Also tasted some at a "farmers market" in Nelson (South Island) and it was delightful.

I don't think it's exported to Thailand, but there is a superb olive oil I've seen and tasted in TOPS which is from a single estate (if that's what you call it) but can't recall the name right now.

I think that buying the product at source is the only way to be confident that you have  genuine olive oil or honey. Some folk believe that buying a well known label ,which is top end price such as Bertolli , is a sure fire way of getting the real thing but I am afraid they are wrong . These top of the market products began life as an authentic produce until dodgy mafia gangs changed the content somewhat in order to make significant profits ( in excess of $1 billion a year ) in Europe . Supermarket shelves are loaded with so called olive oil and honey which were procured by the stores buyers who are mostly interested in maximising profits for their store . ( that's their job and they are judged on their buying performance annually ) , So a kind of conflict of interest .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, superal said:

Amazon ? do they deliver in Thailand ?

Yes Amazon will ship most things to Thailand.Just wait till you see the shipping rates! You'll soon change your mind. They were ok until about 4-5 yrs ago and shipping increased by a ton.

Better to try E Bay.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jaideedave said:

Yes Amazon will ship most things to Thailand.Just wait till you see the shipping rates! You'll soon change your mind. They were ok until about 4-5 yrs ago and shipping increased by a ton.

Better to try E Bay.

yrs ago and shipping increased by a ton

OP could order 100 kg only......

33 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Like many folks on here I've travelled around the world a bit and tasted many olive oils, and many of them are very good, but a couple of the best I've ever tasted, I tasted in New Zealand!

About 30 minutes north of me in Auckland there was an olive company called the Albany Olive Press, and I visited it and met with the English owner, and he showed me around, and also showed me the machinery that produced the oil, and of course I got to taste several versions, and I have to say they were lovely.

Also tasted some at a "farmers market" in Nelson (South Island) and it was delightful.

I don't think it's exported to Thailand, but there is a superb olive oil I've seen and tasted in TOPS which is from a single estate (if that's what you call it) but can't recall the name right now.

Olive oil has a real international fraud problem and legal fraud also in many regions due to labeling standards. I'd say if the price is right and taste is good don't worry. Unless like you going to the source  and seeing actual production don't believe the hype. English owner could still be cutting the product in the back shed with vats of cheap stuff  put in a nice bottle for Farmers Market and upscale supers.  Patrons fawning to be ripped off and almost nothing can be done to stop it , such as with the organic produce  scams.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Unless like you going to the source  and seeing actual production don't believe the hype. English owner could still be cutting the product in the back shed with vats of cheap stuff  put in a nice bottle for Farmers Market and upscale supers.

Luckily enough I did go to the source at the olive grove near me and actually saw some of the oil dripping out of the press, which although a little murky was still very tasty.

The oil being sold by the producer at the farmers market in Nelson was superb, and he had a great reputation in the area, so I doubt if he would be cheating his customers, many of whom knew him.

Anyway, if he was.........the oil was bloody delicious!!

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Luckily enough I did go to the source at the olive grove near me and actually saw some of the oil dripping out of the press, which although a little murky was still very tasty.

The oil being sold by the producer at the farmers market in Nelson was superb, and he had a great reputation in the area, so I doubt if he would be cheating his customers, many of whom knew him.

Anyway, if he was.........the oil was bloody delicious!!

Sorry if I missed it but where is Nelson (NZ?)  and what was he charging per 1 liter bottle ?

20 minutes ago, superal said:

Sorry if I missed it but where is Nelson (NZ?)  and what was he charging per 1 liter bottle ?

No problem Al,

Nelson is at the top of the South Island of New Zealand, in the middle of good wine (and fruit) country, particularly Sauvignon Blanc, and it's a beautiful town and one in which I could quite easily live out the rest of my years if I didn't have an adopted daughter here and a few friends.

I can't remember how much the olive oil was, because it was about 3 years ago now, but I do remember it being quite delicious and the local friends all raved about it. Needless to say I bought some for the duration of my stay.

Just outside of Nelson on a little stretch of land is a lovely beach, and from that area and stretching back into Nelson, many "alternative lifestyle" people moved there a few decades ago and they are some gentle folk, and lots of arts and crafts to be seen, and bought; quite a unique area in its own way.

Anyway this is about olive oil and honey, so I'd better move along..........

PS. Also a lovely car museum nearby.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No problem Al,

Nelson is at the top of the South Island of New Zealand, in the middle of good wine (and fruit) country, particularly Sauvignon Blanc, and it's a beautiful town and one in which I could quite easily live out the rest of my years if I didn't have an adopted daughter here and a few friends.

I can't remember how much the olive oil was, because it was about 3 years ago now, but I do remember it being quite delicious and the local friends all raved about it. Needless to say I bought some for the duration of my stay.

Just outside of Nelson on a little stretch of land is a lovely beach, and from that area and stretching back into Nelson, many "alternative lifestyle" people moved there a few decades ago and they are some gentle folk, and lots of arts and crafts to be seen, and bought; quite a unique area in its own way.

Anyway this is about olive oil and honey, so I'd better move along..........

PS. Also a lovely car museum nearby.

Thank You Xylophone , you paint a nice picture but since you mention wine and you come across as a wine guru what is your favourite red wine that is available here in Thailand ?  Up here in Issan I am stuck most of the time having to buy fruit wine but last week bought a bottle of Jacobs Creek Shiraz Cabernet and I have to say tasted exactly the same as the fruit wine but does it have the same values of the antioxidant resveratrol ?  Friends tell me that until recently wine was available from online suppliers but that supply chain has been stopped by the government for some reason .

Apologies for straying from my post .

3 minutes ago, superal said:

Thank You Xylophone , you paint a nice picture but since you mention wine and you come across as a wine guru what is your favourite red wine that is available here in Thailand ?  Up here in Issan I am stuck most of the time having to buy fruit wine but last week bought a bottle of Jacobs Creek Shiraz Cabernet and I have to say tasted exactly the same as the fruit wine but does it have the same values of the antioxidant resveratrol ?  Friends tell me that until recently wine was available from online suppliers but that supply chain has been stopped by the government for some reason .

Apologies for straying from my post .

Will send you a pm Al.

I always buy this raw unpasteurised honey on ebay UK which comes from Bulgaria, not sure if can source in the Kingdom..............Unbelievably delicious............

Product info below might help in diagnosis of real vs fake..........

UNFILTERED,UNHEATED,UNPASTEURIZED

High quality Raw Bulgarian organic honey, unfiltered, unheated and unpasteurised. Harvesting June 2020

Honey crystallization or granulation is a natural phenomenon by which honey turns from liquid (runny) state to a semi-solid state. Beekeepers refer to this as set honey.

Crystallization of honey is little understood by the customers. Many assume that honey appears crystallized to be an adulterated or unnatural product. That is not so. Actually, crystallization process is natural and spontaneous. Most pure raw or unheated honey has a natural tendency to crystallize over time. Crystallization does not affect the honey except for colour and texture. Crystallized honey is not spoiled and preserves the flavour and quality characteristics of the liquid honey. Some honey users like it in this state since it is easy to spread on bread or toast without dripping off and the taste is richer.

Bear in mind that crystallization of honey has no bearing on its quality, but it is an attribute of pure and natural honey.

Raw honey is a traditional Bulgarian product and it has been produced in Bulgaria for more than 3,000 years. Despite the small size of Bulgaria, the country is one of the most suitable places for honey production due to its diverse plant life and a temperate climate.

In its production and storage are eliminated all sources of pollution, and therefore in organic honey does not contain any harmful substances. All apiaries are located in appropriate areas (north-eastern Bulgaria) for organic bee keeping consisting of wild vegetation, forested areas and a large variety of natural growing herbs.

Samples of the produced honey as well as the wax are taken on regular basis every season and tested at the appropriate accredited laboratories.

The organic honey is a source of health and longevity. Also, it has a unique taste, medicinal properties and charge you with the energy of nature.

We guarantee that you will be 100% satisfied, once you try our organic product. Please check the seller’s feedbacks to enhance your opinion about Bulgarian organic honey.

Liquefying crystallized honey

Crystallized honey can be brought back to liquid consistency by gently heating it in a hot water bath or warming cabinet (box) until the honey re-liquefies. Heating should be applied indirectly, not by direct flame to a container.

*Product photo is representative of this product. Honey colour and texture may vary depending on the season and level of crystalization. Please check the product title and description for accurate contents.*

Honey (1).jpg

Honey (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:11 PM, Morch said:

MiL gets a bunch of such bottles from this crone who descends to town from Kanchanaburi every few months. I was very skeptical, but it's decent honey, thick and sometimes with bits inside. Not sure how legal it is, probably doesn't grow her own bees and all that.

Amazed I found this. A very old scan. She who would descend monthly to Mueng Petchaboon, sell bottles to three of the five westerners in the town. Maybe 5/5, no one knew what the Norwegian mission couple bought. She has one bottle behind the platter of honey combs BTW. There was some way of dribbling a bit on newsprint and checking the wet splotch it created to tell if it was adulterated or pure. I have long forgotten exactly how it went, but she sold the real deal, likely knew she would get a higher price from her small captive market. The honeycomb, you could steam, or BBQ, yum.

The sister in law supposedly has connection for pure thai honey, but  ... I buy the Langnese German here in Thailand if I want quality.

img236.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Rachevenmo said:

It's surprising to hear even major stores might have some tricks up their sleeves. The struggle with fakes seems real, from CDs to razors!

That is true  . Only yesterday I was looking for a cordless drill on Lazada . They had many Makita drills at around 600 baht . That has to be fake  

Honey is easy to tell if fake or not, YT can show you.  Or just buy the 2 bottle pack of Makro. Since honey never goes bad, not a problem.

image.png.7eac6dea98f03efe2907e94188d593c2.png

Thai Olive oil ... :cheesy:

Just get Sambrosa or other name brand, again, we shop at Makro.  We get one extra virgin, (1 liter ฿525) for non cooking use, and just replenished the cooking one yesterday, 5 L @ ฿1859, as we use olive & peanut oil exclusively.image.png.048cf48e61653b2f90e93edaf4242011.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, Rachevenmo said:

It's surprising to hear even major stores might have some tricks up their sleeves. The struggle with fakes seems real, from CDs to razors!

On a brighter note, have you had any luck finding authentic organic natural foods in your shopping adventures? Sometimes a little hunt for the good stuff amidst the chaos can be a hidden gem!

Edited by Rachevenmo
  • Like 1