Foreigner on superbike and Thai woman seriously hurt in Samrong after song thaew smash

webfact

Foreigner on superbike and Thai woman seriously hurt in Samrong after song thaew smash

8pm2.jpg

Thai media 77kaoded reported that police and rescue services in Samrong on the outskirts of Bangkok were called after a powerful bike collided with a song thaew at the end of Sukhumvit Road Soi 78 yesterday. 

Good Samaritans had already taken a Thai woman called Kanokphan, 36, to hospital with serious injuries.

Nicholas E., 44, (nationality unknown) was treated by Poh Teck Tung medics at the scene for a head injury and injuries to his knee and shoulder before being taken to hospital.

8pm1.jpg

Found on the footpath nearby was a Suzuki Hayabusa 1340 cc with Bangkok plates. Its front was smashed in.

There was also damage to the front left of a Phrapadaeng Port to Samrong song thaew pick-up. 

The driver of the public vehicle said that the motorcyclist was going 100 kmph and hit him as he was turning.

A motorcycle taxi guy told the media that the bike was in the left lane and the song thaew was in the middle lane and had turned into the soi.

8pm3.jpg

The motorcyclist had been travelling in the direction of Bang Na after going past Imperial World mall. 

Police are checking CCTV to verify the information given by witnesses. 

Soure: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-08

2 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I just use my moped for local stuff now. I had a few too many near misses out on the main roads.

You can do your best to drive responsibly but ultimately your safety is in the hands of those around you.

It's worthwhile considering just how much you really trust your fellow road users !....

So true ! Assume they are all trying to kill you and you'll usually fair much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just to add, once again, this demonstrates it not about your ability etc, its ALL about the actions of others (mostly) when it comes to accidents here. 

Disagree, a good rider sees that this could happen and takes that into account.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A motorcycle taxi guy told the media that the bike was in the left lane and the song thaew was in the middle lane and had turned into the soi.

Maybe he should have told the police instead?

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

I avoid the most left lane.. rather pay a fine once in a while. I mean this happens often that cars just turn into a soi without looking even if they are n ot on the most left lane. Not to mention that taxi's will pull in front of you and so will busses without any regards of those on the left lane. 

So yea you can avoid some stuff by being pro active. But there are always things you can't avoid your just more vulnerable on a bike compared to a car (i still mainly use my bike)

I don't mind the left lane, but not fast. And yes, I always take into account someone can turn left or right unexpectedly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

just turn into a soi without looking

But even if the do look they will turn. Do any of you recognize this: Thai driver stops at the side of the road, opens his door a crack to look back to see if anything is coming and it’s safe to open the door all the way. But then, no matter if anything is coming or not, the door swings open all the way almost right away.
I’ve had this happen to me so many times on my motorbike in and around Chiang Mai: car stops, driver looks back and sees me, but then swings open the door regardless, so I have to swerve to avoid hitting the door. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't mind the left lane, but not fast. And yes, I always take into account someone can turn left or right unexpectedly.

Im in BKK so for me taxi's all of a sudden going from whatever lane they are at to the most left lane to pickup or drop a passenger  (without looking) same goes for minivans and busses. That is why i avoid the inside lane not because sometimes i get cut off by a car turning into a soi . I usually drive on the fast lane or the lane to the left of that lane. Always at the speed of traffic or faster

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Just to add, once again, this demonstrates it not about your ability etc, its ALL about the actions of others (mostly) when it comes to accidents here. 

Absolutely, that is why you need some protective gear and not a couple of flip flops, shirt and shorts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Too much bike for Thailand's roads.

If I were on one of these I would be wearing more suitable clothing for starters.  

A bike like that says ' Hey look what I have ' , a bit like driving a Lambo . around . No sense at all in BKK.  More money than sense . But that is only my thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yep, that left lane is deadly - buses, taxis, TukTuks etc. swerving across to pickup/dropoff passengers or turn left at the last minute.

I totally ignore that left lane rule. I'd rather pay a few 200 Baht fines to ride where it's safest than end up like this guy.

Yes I completely agree with you. Riding in  the left lane is bad enough, but overtaking in it is fraught with danger.

We discussed this at length just a few days ago.

Edited by Moonlover
Add sentence