No.power and water again .

kevvy

Once again no.power ,3 times this week .the longest was 7 hours .Ring up and ask why and sometimes they don't even know it happened .Then the same trouble with our water. Some days low pressure  other days none at all . We  do not even get told about the water is going to be shut off.We have a pump but when there is no.power ,no water . We can drive not even 5 klms and that area has power ,it must be just Mae Lao. Seems to happen so much in this area. The good news is that they have started the four lane highway on 2011 starting just past Singh Park going south. 

Edited by kevvy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

Once again no.power ,3 times this week .the longest was 7 hours .Ring up and ask why and sometimes they don't even know it happened .Then the same trouble with our water. Some days low pressure  other days none at all . We  do not even get told about the water is going to be shut off.We have a pump but when there is no.power ,no water . We can drive not even 5 klms and that area has power ,it must be just Mae Lao. Seems to happen so much in this area. The good news is that they have started the four lane highway on 2011 starting just past Singh Park going south. 

Yesterday the long break in the power was because they were working on the line near the Hoysan Pubpla school, today I'm pretty sure that it's "just" lightning strikes.

No water problems in the village.

1 hour ago, sceadugenga said:

Yesterday the long break in the power was because they were working on the line near the Hoysan Pubpla school, today I'm pretty sure that it's "just" lightning strikes.

No water problems in the village.

Yesterday when rang them they said they were working on it but the had to split the team and send some to Maesauy. Even though you are close we are on a different water supply , the power went off again at 7.30pm . Seems to go off when a mouse farts.. I bet  NARACOORTE does not have power loss.

Yes I know what you mean, my next door neighbour is on a different power line to me, it's not unusual for us to be in darkness and him lit up.

I wondered if he had a generator for a while.

When I was in the Philippines "brown outs" were so common that nearly all businesses and a lot of private houses had their own generator.

It can be annoying, I just read or set up a phone internet hotspot so we can watch a movie or TV show episode on an iPad.

Not sure where Naracoorte comes into it, but I did grow up in a sawmilling town where the power supply was fueled by waste from the local sawmill.

It was Direct Current  and pretty unpredictable as well.

That was about 60 miles from Naracoorte . :thumbsup:

Edited by sceadugenga
spelling
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:39 AM, sceadugenga said:

Yes I know what you mean, my next door neighbour is on a different power line to me, it's not unusual for us to be in darkness and him lit up.

I wondered if he had a generator for a while.

When I was in the Philippines "brown outs" were so common that nearly all businesses and a lot of private houses had their own generator.

It can be annoying, I just read or set up a phone internet hotspot so we can watch a movie or TV show episode on an iPad.

Not sure where Naracoorte comes into it, but I did grow up in a sawmilling town where the power supply was fueled by waste from the local sawmill.

It was Direct Current  and pretty unpredictable as well.

That was about 60 miles from Naracoorte . :thumbsup:

Naracoorte is going to be our new home town 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It was for exactly that reason that when we built we put in a 1,000 litre ready use water tank about 3 metres above our highest outlets so that when the power goes out we still have showers and washing water.

Actually ,when we built our home I did not think the water would be a problem. I wash I had the brains to think about it ..You came up with a great solution..

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

Actually ,when we built our home I did not think the water would be a problem. I wash I had the brains to think about it ..You came up with a great solution..

And the power gods must have been listening to you as we have just had a 3 hour power cut.

We knew that the power is flaky here before building so the non pumped water was one of the essential points, along with enough power points (over 20 doubles in just one room)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And the power gods must have been listening to you as we have just had a 3 hour power cut.

We knew that the power is flaky here before building so the non pumped water was one of the essential points, along with enough power points (over 20 doubles in just one room)

since starting this topic our power has gone off 4 times , two time were just for 5 minutes , so everything shuts down which is annoying . I will pray to the gods for you ..cheers

• 3 weeks later...

A 7 hour long power cut in Mae Chan today, and 4 hours yesterday. And 3 hours a few days back. The water is affected also when that happens. Initially seems fine but then the pressure drops to nearly nothing.  This is not normal though in my experience last 3 months. I wonder what is causing it. Yes "normal" seems to be a power cut every 1-2 weeks for 10-60 mins but that isn't too bad. Probably the water stops more often than the power.

No power cut today, but the microwave was struggling to work earlier, a couple of the lights were flashing, and the air-conditioning slowed down. I have a socket tester, and it is currently showing 162V.   That is shocking given that it should nominally be 220V. Microwave doesn't work at all when it is that low. Pretty bad power supply, but maybe that is normal...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

We had a 4 1/2 hour power outage starting about 3:30 yesterday afternoon which took out both the single and 3 phase. My neighbour mumbled something about a power pole and a transformer fell over.

I went past the site this afternoon about 5pm and there must have been 20 PEA trucks and contractor vehicles there. It looks as though 1 pole went down and took several more with it. The PEA post holer truck was working hard for new posts and the cable crew had at least 200 metres of cable to re-hang not to mention all the cell companies having to rejig the fibre optic cables.

If the power goes out the water goes off too but we have a full 200 litre blue plastic barrel in each toilet and shower just in case. We also have rechargeable torches and LED lights always kept charged up, also just in case.

There was another 20 minute power outage this afternoon, but I am sure that they were cutting back to the old line network that has been repaired.

The local PEA guys do a very good job, plus they are often out in thunderstorms and heavy rain for the normal power cuts. Those are usually fixed in a couple of hours, anything more and it is a serious problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

No power cut today, but the microwave was struggling to work earlier, a couple of the lights were flashing, and the air-conditioning slowed down. I have a socket tester, and it is currently showing 162V.   That is shocking given that it should nominally be 220V. Microwave doesn't work at all when it is that low. Pretty bad power supply, but maybe that is normal...

My UPS shows 228V at the moment and my system works down to about 180 volts but at that level the fans are slow and some of the lights go out though the LED lamps stay on.

Today so far so good, and above 200V as well, within 10%, just.

I think in the evening the power supply dips, which I guess could coincide with people coming home from work.

Edited by Tuvoc

Power supply has been rubbish this afternoon. No cuts thank goodness, but obviously big drops in voltage because several times the air conditioner has virtually stopped for a second or so before recovering, and flaring at times. Takes the light out as well briefly. Is this typical in Thailand or just outside the big cities ?

You mention a UPS - I bought an APC one but can't use it.  I got it to protect one of my computers. During the course of one week, it beeped several times to say to was providing battery power, and then the PC shuts down pretty quick because the UPS doesn't provide power for long. I got frustrated with this, and then realised that my other PC, plugged straight into the socket, was totally unaffected and kept running happily. Then I realised why. The PC PSUs are the same worldwide. Plug them into 220V and they are happy. Plug them into 110V in the USA, they are happy. They are designed for a huge range. So here when the voltage dips from 210V to 170V they simply don't care. The UPS though does care, obviously there is a trigger point where it switches to battery power, and unfortunately the voltage drops below that trigger point all too often.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2