No.power and water again .

kevvy

1 minute ago, sceadugenga said:

UPS hate power fluctuations, they either like it full on or full off.

OK didn't realise that. Was a waste of money then, although it could prove useful for something else in future I guess.  But as I was warned with this cheaper model, you can't stop it beeping so it will drive you crazy regardless unless you physically disconnect it

• Like 1

The lights have gone out in one room, plugged in the socket tester, 125V. Crazy stuff. The air-conditioner still runs and the computers do as well.  Lights are now back, so voltage must have recovered. If this was the UK I'd be lodging a complaint, but in Thailand - well it will be up to my wife, but I know she won't. And probably nothing would happen anyway. I just have to get used to it as the new normal????

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

OK didn't realise that. Was a waste of money then, although it could prove useful for something else in future I guess.  But as I was warned with this cheaper model, you can't stop it beeping so it will drive you crazy regardless unless you physically disconnect it

My problem wasn't with the power supply, the UPS copes quite well normally, but my own meter box was faulty ...which I did not realise for a while. Once that was fixed the UPS does it's job, I have about ten minutes to save any work.

I buy them now from Technocom, they have several always available in their service area at the main market shop.

Don't be tempted by the cheaper ones from Power Buy at Central, they now offer  no local service and I was told that even getting  a battery changed could take up to a month.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Went to pay my PEA bill at the local office the other Friday. They said come back on Monday as they had a power cut!

Had to chuckle...

Hilarious !

We had another 7 hour power cut this week. I think these are actually scheduled outages to repair and upgrade equipment. I wish they would publish them though.  I looked on their website and can't see anything where they give advance notice. Yesterday was fine, and the voltage seemed nice and stable as the aircon fan did not change pitch all day. Long may that continue ????

• Like 2

You would think that after all these years they would work out about the power grid and why the power cuts off and on so often .I am sure our oven got so many power surges that it damaged  the electronic timer.  When my wife rings up they ask is there a thunderstorm of is it windy .. 

4 hours ago, kevvy said:

When my wife rings up they ask is there a thunderstorm of is it windy .. 

My wife won't phone them, she says it is the same for everyone so no point !

I'm concerned about what the voltage dips might be doing to the air-conditioner, but so far anyway it keeps going.  Whether the voltage spikes up over 220V when it recovers I don't know. If it dips to 160V and then jumps back to 220V and not more, then that is probably less of a risk.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:48 AM, Tuvoc said:

My wife won't phone them, she says it is the same for everyone so no point !

I'm concerned about what the voltage dips might be doing to the air-conditioner, but so far anyway it keeps going.  Whether the voltage spikes up over 220V when it recovers I don't know. If it dips to 160V and then jumps back to 220V and not more, then that is probably less of a risk.

Power shut off last night ,and again this afternoon  it really <deleted>s  you more when you just started cooking dinner  . LOS

...Land Of no Service

On 3/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, Tuvoc said:

They are not a waste of money they will protect your computer from those brownouts. The supply to the computer will go on while the UPS might switch to battery mode.

For all of you who have no power (had it before in the gated village at times but not long like you guys) aren't those generators a thing you could buy. I mean it might be a bit of an investment but without power for hours is like not being able to live.

Power cuts are the norm here, other day power cut in the evening, locals all moaning about the farang home plenty of lights on, everybody else in darkness.

Wife and myself have a good laugh about it, we have 10 solar lights, sensor lights, spot lights, street light type , yet we are the only home here with solar, others moan but do nothing about it.

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

They are not a waste of money they will protect your computer from those brownouts. The supply to the computer will go on while the UPS might switch to battery mode.

In practice it is the exact opposite. The one that is plugged into the wall keeps going and the one plugged into the UPS gets shut down when a voltage drop triggers the UPS to switch to battery power. PC power supplies are universal, they are sold everywhere in the world from 110v in the USA to 230-240v in some countries. So here with a 220V supply, if the power dips to 160V they couldn't care less, they just keep going because they are rated down to 110V and in fact considerably less. On the other hand, a big voltage dip causes the UPS to switch to battery mode, and because it only has enoufgh juice to power the PC for a couple of minutes it will turn off.  Big Thumbs down to the UPS. It is useless here for me. The PC doesn't need protecting from a brownout, the power supply is designed to cope with the huge range of voltages.  OK it may need protecting from surges if they occur, but surges above 220V, well I'd eat my hat if that happened. It is plugged into one of those cheap multi-socket things that has rudimentary surge protection anyway.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Power cuts are the norm here, other day power cut in the evening, locals all moaning about the farang home plenty of lights on, everybody else in darkness.

Wife and myself have a good laugh about it, we have 10 solar lights, sensor lights, spot lights, street light type , yet we are the only home here with solar, others moan but do nothing about it.

Solar lights are very worth while ! Had solar security lights in the UK, zero running costs compared to the 300w conventional unit the replaced.

In addition a proper solar installation with solar panels and battery storage would also be a great option. Fairly expensive, but if you're in an area with unreliable power it is well worth considering.

14 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Power shut off last night ,and again this afternoon  it really <deleted>s  you more when you just started cooking dinner  . LOS

...Land Of no Service

Could it be fixed with a generator ? Crossy knows how to wire those things. I mean if its that regular I would not want to depend on them. I would have gotten a small generator to be able supply power to aircon computer and some lights (but not sure how hard that is to do)

10 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

In practice it is the exact opposite. The one that is plugged into the wall keeps going and the one plugged into the UPS gets shut down when a voltage drop triggers the UPS to switch to battery power. PC power supplies are universal, they are sold everywhere in the world from 110v in the USA to 230-240v in some countries. So here with a 220V supply, if the power dips to 160V they couldn't care less, they just keep going because they are rated down to 110V and in fact considerably less. On the other hand, a big voltage dip causes the UPS to switch to battery mode, and because it only has enoufgh juice to power the PC for a couple of minutes it will turn off.  Big Thumbs down to the UPS. It is useless here for me. The PC doesn't need protecting from a brownout, the power supply is designed to cope with the huge range of voltages.  OK it may need protecting from surges if they occur, but surges above 220V, well I'd eat my hat if that happened. It is plugged into one of those cheap multi-socket things that has rudimentary surge protection anyway.

Not so sure about the power supplies being universal. You might be right but im not sure. But on my computer when the power goes off the UPS takes over without shutting the computer down.

https://www.quora.com/If-a-personal-computer-built-in-the-U-S-is-taken-to-Europe-can-it-work-by-just-changing-out-the-power-supply-or-will-it-damage-the-motherboard-and-CPU#:~:text=American devices run%2C for the,rated for the higher voltage).

seems your right but its not automatic. Its a switch you have to switch manually.

Edited by robblok

Computer power suppliers are universal, if you bought it in the last 15 years or so. I remember them either having a switch, or being rated for one specific voltage only, but I haven't seen that in over 20 years.

Yes the UPS will take over and keep the computer going in a total power cut (or severe sustained voltage drop) , but for how long depends on the capacity of the UPS and your PC power draw. For a typical consumer UPS, if your PC is pulling a couple of hundred watts, you've got about a minute or two and that is it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I bet they'll all be sitting there, asking each other when the power will come back on.

When we have a power outage, I wait for thirty minutes in case it returns, then I phone the PEA call centre on 1129. They're very helpful, rather than try to contact any local number.

Within a minute they can tell me if there's a major issue in the area, and the fact they have a repair crew on it.

Or if they aren't aware of anything, someone will be sent out in around an hour to investigate.

A very efficient service - but only only if people get of their rrr's to contact them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not so sure about the power supplies being universal. You might be right but im not sure. But on my computer when the power goes off the UPS takes over without shutting the computer down.

https://www.quora.com/If-a-personal-computer-built-in-the-U-S-is-taken-to-Europe-can-it-work-by-just-changing-out-the-power-supply-or-will-it-damage-the-motherboard-and-CPU#:~:text=American devices run%2C for the,rated for the higher voltage).

seems your right but its not automatic. Its a switch you have to switch manually.

No, read further:

"Only the old units from the 2000s and earlier had a switch for 110 or 230/240V."

Any recent power supply is 99.9%  going to be a universal one.

23 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

No, read further:

"Only the old units from the 2000s and earlier had a switch for 110 or 230/240V."

Any recent power supply is 99.9%  going to be a universal one.

I see.. but i wonder how it copes with the half half.. i mean would it not want to work in either.. or is the whole range in between good. 

45 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Computer power suppliers are universal, if you bought it in the last 15 years or so. I remember them either having a switch, or being rated for one specific voltage only, but I haven't seen that in over 20 years.

Yes the UPS will take over and keep the computer going in a total power cut (or severe sustained voltage drop) , but for how long depends on the capacity of the UPS and your PC power draw. For a typical consumer UPS, if your PC is pulling a couple of hundred watts, you've got about a minute or two and that is it.

I paid for a good big APC i got half an hour got my monitors on an other UPS. Works for me. But thankfully not many power outages anymore. They were common in the area i lived in the past but it got all upgraded. Still it sucks if work is lost because of not having an UPS.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tuvoc said:

The lights have gone out in one room, plugged in the socket tester, 125V. Crazy stuff. The air-conditioner still runs and the computers do as well.  Lights are now back, so voltage must have recovered. If this was the UK I'd be lodging a complaint, but in Thailand - well it will be up to my wife, but I know she won't. And probably nothing would happen anyway. I just have to get used to it as the new normal????

When we first built out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet during 2004, the nearest neighbours were about 500m away on either side and the electricity and water supplies were fine.

Now you can't even slide a fag paper between all the houses. We have a resort next door and another 2 neighbours away on the other side. The electricity supply has improved as there is 3 phase now but the single phase hasn't been really upgraded.

The water supply has not been upgraded at all and as of last week completely exhausted. People have to travel 6km to the amphur in the big village to request a delivery from the fire truck. They have to do it every week from now until probably mid June.

A good few years ago there was a plan to put a dam across the valley which was shot down after a few people complained that they would lose some land. Since about 2007 with the exception of the big floods of 2011 we have a drought every year and water delivery by fire truck. 

We have brought some lights from Lazada , the run for about 7 hours and then you can charge them.We have 5 of them and they are great just to have some lights on . We watch a movie on wife laptop on usb stick .

We are thinking of getting a small generator to get the computers working ..