No one left behind: Thailand gives biggest hint yet that expats will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will then begin domestic production of  61 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Officials have indicated that production of the vaccine will begin around May or June. 

Why have they not started already? They have been talking about this for months and should have been in a position to start production once the vaccine was approved for use!  What should also be remembered is that two injections 3 months apart are required for the most efficacious results. So all in all, about 130 million doses should be available.  Good news about it being free to expats too. ????

27 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Which one of these vaccines can be taken by people above 65 years without being endangered by side effects resulting in not feeling well, or even death?

My Aunt in UK has had the Astra-Zeneca vaccine without side effects, and she is nearly 107 years old and still as bright as a button! ????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Husain Tula said:

I have never seen anything given free to expats in Thailand.  This would be a first.

I don't pay anything when I go to the hospital (where I am registered for social security).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

I'm hoping the Chinese vaccine is all used up by the time they get around to expats, rather pay for Astra Zeneca vaccine then get a free SinoVac.

Latest News Today, South Africa has suspended trials of Astra Zeneca Vaccine as it is failing to be effective against the new strain.

Although they say this is a temporary measure, Astra Zeneca are now rushing to try to provide a modification to the vaccine.

So what this means, is that the vaccine is not working well on the new variants and many countries are looking for supplies of other vaccines to fill in the gap.

So what does this mean for Thailand, will they produce a dud or will they wait for Astra Zeneca to come up with a new variant to what they have, and that won't be done by tomorrow.

The vaccine supply is a shambles and now the Astra does not work on the new strain which is rapidly spreading everywhere.

Thailand would have to think about this, as if they produce the current version, and the new variant/s spread's they will be caught with pants down.

All of this is about money for the big Thai medical company, maybe they could not broker a deal with Pfizer or sputnik, Astra is hard to handle and needs special fridges, stupid for Thailand to go for this.

I did hear some time ago that Thailand would vaccinate expats free and so they should, but then how they define you as qualifying could be tricky.

Anyhow watch the news in the next few days I predict that Thailand will be reverting to Plan B, if it thinks it will be able to supply Astra dud vaccine at 61 million doses.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well blow me down, in all the years I lived here I have never seen anything free. I know the air is free but just look at all the chemicals in it. I only hope the  free vaccines  doesn't mean the cheapest vaccines ,that nobody wants. I would rather pay for a vaccine that works.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin said that 200,000 doses of the Chinese CoronaVac will arrive in Thailand later this month, followed by a supply of the AstraZeneca vaccine, Bangkok Biz News reported. 

Thailand will then begin domestic production of  61 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Officials have indicated that production of the vaccine will begin around May or June. 

Isn't the AZ vaccine distributed at cost, and licensed free? Supplying it to expats at cost/free isn't exactly the bigliest of magnanimosities...

5 hours ago, Husain Tula said:

I have never seen anything given free to expats in Thailand.  This would be a first.

No it won't. I have attended the free mobile health clinics and the free flu jab program. My pink card was also free but hardly related.

Free medical initiatives normally require a yellow book, because of allocations you only qualify in your area of residence.

This forum is the architect of it's own expectation, something the private hospitals are just waiting to capitalise on.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

I'm hoping the Chinese vaccine is all used up by the time they get around to expats, rather pay for Astra Zeneca vaccine then get a free SinoVac.

Here here, I’m with you on this sentiment and would happily pay for A Z but keep your Sinovac away from me!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

He said "residing in Thailand"

Foreigners on non-immigrant visas aren't considered as residents, but as temporary visitors.

So if this turns out to only apply to permanent residents he wasn't lying.

Resident in this sense means an inhabitant or occupant. I don't think this only applies to "permament residents". There are millions of foreign workers that need vaccination. Not too worried myself, as I have government health cover. 

4 hours ago, drbrit said:

Encouraging words, but I would welcome clarity on *how* they identify foreigners 'residing' in Thailand.  I hope that doesn't mean people with PR.  Will it be those on a non-O, non-OA, non-B, taxpayers etc...

Covid 19 has no preference to what type of visa you have . Main thing is to inoculate as many people as possible . Good sense is  prevailing thankfully .

• Like 2

Whatever country I am living in, I don’t expect to be given anything for free. Once the vaccine is available here, I will pay to be vaccinated.

The issue is that it’s not available yet and, I might be wrong here, I don’t think any vaccines have even need approved for use.