Earthing a freezer.

up2you2

13 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

So my question is here, could in fact a water pump, be creating a feedback to the fuse box, and then in turn to the chest freezer please?

I don't see where you have earth in your box, yah?  If so, there is nothing to "feed back" and if there is a proper earth any fault should go to the ground.  Are your spark and pump guy related?  Your pump may well have an issue but you should get a better understanding of what they think is the problem and a list of "parts" needed for their "fix".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, up2you2 said:

Some further details have emerged, regarding the source of this electrical current coming off my chest freezer.
Seemingly in the same fuse box, one of the leads goes to my outside water pump.
First off an electrician, established that this was confirmed source of the problem.
Next up the pump man has also agreed that this is the source, but to remedy it, he is requiring over 4,000 Baht, which I believe includes parts.

So my question is here, could in fact a water pump, be creating a feedback to the fuse box, and then in turn to the chest freezer please?

Anyway he takes away the pump, I presume some of the electrical wires needed to be replaced, perhaps even some parts.
As you can imagine, I was incredible wary of this, rip off of the year, but blow me down, even disconnecting the pump solved the problem.
Got a result - happy.

35 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Anyway he takes away the pump, I presume some of the electrical wires needed to be replaced, perhaps even some parts.
As you can imagine, I was incredible wary of this, rip off of the year, but blow me down, even disconnecting the pump solved the problem.
Got a result - happy.

Good to hear. Don't trust answering here. The easy and cheap way I am sure id their motto.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:18 PM, Dazinoz said:

I purchased a brand new fridge a couple years ago. All  metal casing but no earth. Plenty of earth designated connections on the back. I thought it would be my luck if i rewired with a three pin earth plug so would go wrong and my warranty voided so I ran an earth wire from a connection on the back and cable tied to the existing cable and put a three pin plug with only the earth connected. Not 100% safe but much more than what it was and warranty not voided.

I've done exactly the same thing on some major appliances here, even though they are supposed to be double insulated, or perhaps as Crossy has said, perhaps one is getting a tingle from a capacitor installed in the circuit?

Having said that I decided to measure the PD between the fridge and a good earth using my little meter, and it measured over 50 V, so I did just as you said and ran a separate cable from the back of the fridge, which by the way had an earth screw and lug just waiting for an earth cable, into a three pin plug and used that. Problem solved.

On another appliance I simply used a three pin plug and the appropriate three core cable and ran it into the back of the large industrial style  microwave, and connected it all up and the problem was solved.

Never keen on having stray voltage around the place, having had quite a few large shocks in my time, including a 440 V one in a power substation, and lucky to be alive.

• Like 1