UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

LOL. Julian Jessop - hardly an independent economist, He was the Chief Economist for the Brexit think tank IEA - A lobby group in support of Brexit.

Briefings for Britain is about as right wing as the BNP.

He also notes the following in his conclusion:

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/have-uk-exports-to-the-eu-really-slumped-by-68/

To be fair, UK-EU trade has indeed been severely disrupted over the last few weeks. The Observer is also right to reflect the concerns of the haulage industry about what might happen after the end of the current transitional arrangements. Nonetheless, it is unlikely that UK exports to the EU fell by as anywhere near as much as 68% last month, or that this figure is a useful guide to the longer-term impact of Brexit.

Note the use of the word unlikely - he clearly doesn't know and is writing a puff piece to help his Brexit friends out.

Do you with your hand on your heart believe those figures of 68%, especially coming from the remainer press, they might come across to a lot of people as fear mongering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

These figures have not been created by the press, and have been corroborated by other sources, I. E.

"But Richard Ballantyne, chief executive of the British Ports Association, told the Observer that the 68 per cent figure sounded “broadly in line” with his own information."

https://www.ft.com/content/f7514242-7efd-413a-903a-e1590eef842b

Having said that, you are right to state that It's only a proxy, as part of the trade is carried by other means. So the actual figure may be lower..... or higher. 

I think that is the best I'll get as a fair and honest answer, so thank you, I have seen figures of traffic flowing at 90% and a lot of that is down to many things, we will have to wait and see the true figures, but I doubt very much that they will be anywhere near 68%, of course those figures may have been calculated between 10pm and 11pm one Friday morning, there is so much to take into account.

But a lot of it is the remainers acting like the grim reaper shouting 'we're all doomed' 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

When Trump was still around Boris looked half sensible. But with Trump gone I struggle to think of a more full of it leader and is really exposed for what he is.

I'm not a Boris fan, but several names come to my mind; (alphabetically)

Jair Bolsonaro (Brazil)

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (Turkey)

Rodrigo Duterte (Philippines)

Vladimir Putin (Russia)

Xi Jinping (China)

One could argue who's more full of it, but I think Duterte or Putin has to be in it for the win. Boris is a bit too tame - more of a panderer really.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

I'm not a Boris fan, but several names come to my mind; (alphabetically)

Jair Bolsonaro (Brazil)

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (Turkey)

Rodrigo Duterte (Philippines)

Vladimir Putin (Russia)

Xi Jinping (China)

One could argue who's more full of it, but I think Duterte or Putin has to be in it for the win. Boris is a bit too tame - more of a panderer really.

Those blokes above are all full of it in a different way. Smart, shrewd, ruthless leading hardcore countries with long term plans and goals and personally cashing in big time. 

Boris is full of it in the way that he just makes it up as he goes, backflips easily and sugar coats and talks up everything as if he is doing a good job with Brexit and the Covid situation etc and will only admit any negatives if he thinks he can spin it in a way that suits him. 
 And is struggling a bit financially on his salary with his kids to various mothers.

Just slogans and spin, no results.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Actually, no; the majority of us Brits did not vote for them.

In 2019 the Tories received 43.6% of the vote. An increase of only 1.2% over their 2017 share; a mere 0.1% better increase than the Greens.

Whilst Labour's share went down by a massive 7.8%, the largest share of those lost votes went to the LibDems who increased heir share by 4.2%.

2019's turnout at 67.3% was also lower by 1.5% than 2017's.

(Source)

without the "first pass the post" system, things would be very different..

as far as brexit is concerned, we would have a softer brexit with a more "normal" government in power instead of these idiots ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hi from France said:

without the "first pass the post" system, things would be very different..

as far as brexit is concerned, we would have a softer brexit with a more "normal" government in power instead of these idiots ?

Whereas you elected a weirdo who married his teacher.

Edited by nkg
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1