UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Seriously? - Before Brexit there was no problem with Biden's/Democrats attitude to trade with UK as we were in the EU. 

What Biden is considering now may be better than Trump but it's still LESS than if we were in the EU.

Get over it the UK is out of the mafia club already.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, youreavinalaff said:

No.

Like I said, the nature of driving and the law regarding breaks, means that many drivers are well under the 90 days limit.

Let me give you an example from my first hand knowledge:

Day 1, Drive from Tilbury to Scotland.

Day2, Load Scottish Beef and drive to Dover.

Day3, Drive to Spain.

Day4, Continue drive to Spain. Tip beef in Spain and collect oranges. Start return journey.

Day5, Continue drive back to Tilbury and tip oranges.

Day 6 and 7, 40 hour break.

There you go. A typical week for a long distance driver. Maximum of 3 days per week in EU countries. That gives 30 weeks to use up the 90 days. I believe that there are only 26(ish) weeks in 6 months.

I used to claim tax back as I cumulatively spent more that 30 days outside UK.

however you have to bear in mind that you can no longer do picks for return journeys, certainly if they are within the EU. Your vehicle can be restricted to the number of trips per year. 

As we no longer share the same VAT computers as the EU even though goods are not subject to "duties" they have to be documented for VAT and tracing purposes.

If you pick up one load of beef or any bulk load the documentation is quite simple but it has still cause delays.

However if you are a mixed load or groupie the paperwork can resemble the Lord of the Rings volumes.

The days when a transport company from UK could start a run in UK and then continue through various pickups and drop-offs around EU before returning to UK are over.

Because of the cost of documentation and delays at borders the exercise becomes non-profitable for hauliers in general.

They also used to rely on paying relatively low salaries to EU drivers who now no longer feel they want to spend any extended length of time in the UK.

you may have noticed that warehouses in UK are not vocmplaining yet of having no space - this is because goods is,[pl;y aren't coming into the UK at.

It also affects goods coming from outside the EU - such as sports goods, white goods and electronics - they are sent to distribution centres in the EU but then require another set of documents to proceed to UK.

All this costs and eventually results in the goods not being sent (or bought)

It also works the other way - people trying to buy goods from the UK are is,ply giving up due to the long delays that are now becoming permanent/ Why do you think they need a truck part and permits in Kent?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thunglom said:

There is no "upside" or benefit from Brexit.  Never was, never will be

sure there is..... first 6 months of the year a drop of 18% on exports to the EU, that's an "upside"  555 

(sarcasm intended)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

How about, we are not going to be ruled by the U.S. of G. a bit further down the road.......????

1873386153_UnionJack.jpg.67296a022a6555d1204e41407b1129e0.jpg

Either you are joking or  you have no understanding of how the EU works - it is typical of the ignorance that surrounded Brexit. UK was on track to be the biggest economy in the Eu, now it is a vassal of the US of A.

it is typical of Brexit arguments that they basically use falsehoods and nebulous misconceptions to justify a situation that has hard, clear drawbacks that categorically show that Brexit isn't working, it is damaging both the UK economy and the UK itself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 1:27 PM, Thunglom said:

It's mazing that there is no-one who can cite an upside to Brexit....ever.....yet they still think it was a good idea....what kind of mind is that??

Nonsense, try reading the whole post.

There's plenty, and they've been highlighted previously, but you lot are too stubborn and / or blinkered to recognise or accept them.

Don't ask what, because I'm not about to get into this fruitless, repetitive debate again.

However, just look at the UK ONS figures and see that exports from UK to EU have increased since (I think it was) 2016, (can't be bothered to check) and imports have decreased, with a corresponding increase of imports from other countries with lower tariffs. Sounds like an upside to me....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

There's plenty, and they've been highlighted previously, but you lot are too stubborn and / or blinkered to recognise or accept them.

Don't ask what, because I'm not about to get into this fruitless, repetitive debate again.

However, just look at the UK ONS figures and see that exports from UK to EU have increased since (I think it was) 2016, (can't be bothered to check) and imports have decreased, with a corresponding increase of imports from other countries with lower tariffs. Sounds like an upside to me....

UK exports to EU down 18% as Brexit bites: EU data

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-08-15/UK-exports-to-EU-down-18-as-Brexit-bites-EU-data-12KvuF0wvM4/index.html

Imports into the European Union from ex-member Britain fell 18 percent in the first six months of this year, EU data showed on Friday, as post-Brexit trade relations took hold.

UK exports to European Union down 18 pct as Brexit bites, says EU data

https://english.alarabiya.net/business/economy/2021/08/13/UK-exports-to-European-Union-down-18-pct-as-Brexit-bites-says-EU-data-

Edited by Mavideol

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I suppose the pandemic has nothing to with it and you are still one of those remainers that are waiting to say I told you so. 

Soooo sad. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Sorry there aren't any - try saying one yourself = without looking really dumb.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I suppose the pandemic has nothing to with it and you are still one of those remainers that are waiting to say I told you so. 

Soooo sad. ????

If you compare other countries figures you can see that the government are using the pandemic to cover up the damage caused by Brexit. For instance - no shortages in supermarkets on the continent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Whale said:

It's over, we left. We now need to sort out how we continue to progressively go forward, end of. 

We have to rejoin the Customs Union and Single Market.

Every country trades most with its neighbours 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bannork said:

We have to rejoin the Customs Union and Single Market.

Every country trades most with its neighbours 

Why? We can happily trade with the EU, without being in the CU or SM. It's called international trade! In fact, we already are, and hopefully in future, with far less interference from the peevish EU, when they deign to stop trying to punish the UK for leaving, and trying to make an example of Brexit - if ever.... (tongue in cheek wishful thinking).

• Like 2

no benefit to Brexit? I think EU MPs will disagree, no more long tirades by Nigel Farage on the floor of the EU Parliament, no more silly vetos by the UK to promote their hidden agenda, no more UK civil servants sabotaging the EU initiatives for national pride, etc... ????

it's actually a great deal!!! ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tofer said:

Why? We can happily trade with the EU, without being in the CU or SM. It's called international trade! In fact, we already are, and hopefully in future, with far less interference from the peevish EU, when they deign to stop trying to punish the UK for leaving, and trying to make an example of Brexit - if ever.... (tongue in cheek wishful thinking).

As you know we are now a third country regarding trading with the EU resulting in companies facing realms of red tape and costs in dealing with the EU. whilst previously trade was seamless.

Its inevitable we at least rejoin the CU and SM.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bannork said:

As you know we are now a third country regarding trading with the EU resulting in companies facing realms of red tape and costs in dealing with the EU. whilst previously trade was seamless.

Its inevitable we at least rejoin the CU and SM.

Exactly what we expected, as we are no longer a member of your precious club, as you remainers so frequently remind us. The realms of red tape are all the 'NEW' regulations brought in by the EU to punish the U.K. For having the audacity to leave, hence my belief we would be better off on WTO.

I don't run an export / import business in U.K., so wouldn't know the difference between trading with the EU under the WA and regular WTO terms, but I would happily bet WTO is way less onerous.

Rejoin the CU & SM - in your dreams....

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 3:53 PM, GrandPapillon said:

no benefit to Brexit? I think EU MPs will disagree, no more long tirades by Nigel Farage on the floor of the EU Parliament, no more silly vetos by the UK to promote their hidden agenda, no more UK civil servants sabotaging the EU initiatives for national pride, etc... ????

it's actually a great deal!!! ????

What "hidden agenda" would that be?

• Like 1

Here’s one indisputable benefit for those that will live the rest of their lives out unable to accept where we are with the decision to leave the EU.

If we had stayed in the EU the vaccine rollout would have been dictated by Brussels. Not only would that have meant a delay in recovery from a health perspective, it also means the UK’s financial recovery will be much faster than the rest of the EU.

I can’t believe people are still hanging onto the ‘it will be / has been a disaster’.

Firstly you cant isolate Covid from the scenario, thus it’s impossible to evaluate accurately the impact of Brexit. My business has witnessed sweet fanny adams impact due to Brexit; Covid-19 restrictions are decimating my business. Finally and to all those concerned about trade, containerisation from the 1960’s to date has contributed more to world trade than all the trade agreements in the same period.

• Like 1