Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

webfact

15 hours ago, Brian Hull said:

It might be possible, long term, but not until Thailand is run by young businesslike technocrats instead of ageing and ineffective tin soldiers. The present government couldn't come up with workable and sensible visa plans for tourists and retirees even before COVID.

Not happening, the younger generation are just as bad, maybe even more so with the entitlement attitudes these days. 

• Thanks 1

Returning to its early 1960's self to then follow the Singapore and Dubai model to the 2020's would be a good ride!  Could also avoid some of the things that did not work in those 2 places.  Miami?  

The clean up to start the journey will only take 500 trillion baht and 20 years.

9 hours ago, desert dueller said:

What a joke. Had this mob been colonized, they'd at least know how to build a proper footpath. Try that first, then bignote yourselves with pompous and vacuous pronouncements and new signage (the easy part first). Mayor and Co cleaning up the pavers on Driving Street - one day before they ripped it all up to start the underground cabling job etc. You couldn't make it up. 

LOL.

Obviously never lived in Singapore in the early days after independence. Plenty of bad footpaths back then.

I'll accept that at least they had footpaths though, unlike many Thai towns.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brian Hull said:

It might be possible, long term, but not until Thailand is run by young businesslike technocrats instead of ageing and ineffective tin soldiers. The present government couldn't come up with workable and sensible visa plans for tourists and retirees even before COVID.

Thailand became a top tourist destination back in the 80s and it wasn't run by young businesslike technocrats back then.

IMO letting young businesslike technocrats be in charge would be the worst possible option. They ruined Singapore to the point tourists were not going there much anymore. Now it's only for rich people that like sterile environments. Thais would, I hope, never accept such in LOS.

Like so many elites now, they want to take something that was doing just fine as it was, and change it so they get rich, even if the place gets ruined.

Thailand has many places that self opinionated "hi class" tourists can go, but there was only ever one Pattaya big boy's playtown.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, MayPutThai said:

Singapore is not that expensive as it look like on first place if you have a job.

Still can work here and feel welcome and safe, earn very good money in an English speaking environment. Tax is as three times lower for me as in Germany. The little higher cost for a good way of life has to see as an additional tax you pay free of your own decision.

I save 30% Tax against Germany, take 5% from that saving for my entertainment here and be happy. Still have 25% plus.

At home near Pattaya, I go seldom there. Just for shopping. Spend my life with my Thai friends at their or my home.

The Thai People want the quality tourists and get the Chinese troupes.

They will learn the next years that Thailand lose the game in tourism.

But is ok, if they want this like that. But the rich people, they look for, can find many better places in the world. The normal people who build up that town are not welcome anymore.

The old Farang with less money also want not come back due to that attitude of only money sucking without service. Dear Thai People, you need to try working with your hands again.

The Golden Cow stay away.

Knitting with the thai neighbours and mongering on a budget hmm covid has really affected some it would seem.

Pattaya is already MUCH better than Miami.  There's no real comparison.  Conversely Pattaya can never be equal to Singapore, because it's much too corrupt and Thai's to not believe in or adhere to ongoing preventative maintenance of buildings and structure.  Also Thai's are notorious polluters who liter the land and sea and make no attempts stop the practice.  Dubai is a high end destination. The lure of Pattaya is the women and low end cost of vacationing there.  If he became expensive, many people would simply venture there.

4 hours ago, yoksot said:

Does this mean prices will be similar, If so added to all the extra costs of Visas, Health Insurance, etc, etc. What would be the attraction for tourists ?? having spent most of the past 30 years in Thailand, 18+ as a Bar owner in Koh Samui where the wealthy arrived to replace the coconuts with concrete I have seen a Paradise Island destroyed. 

Could not wait to escape. Now very happy again in a remote village in North East Thailand, and happy to be back in in the real world. Let's not forget it was the Back Packers that put Thailand on the tourist map, They can never be held responsible for the destruction.

Food for Thought

The Eye of Lamai

That's what annoys me when people look down on back packers, they opened up Thailand when it was as poor as you know what, and as soon as the Malaga mob turned up they destroyed the place with Paddy and his mixer with the open handed consent of the locals..... I was lucky to have travelled Thailand when it was untouched........As a back packer.......

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 1:07 AM, yoksot said:

Let's not forget it was the Back Packers that put Thailand on the tourist map, They can never be held responsible for the destruction.

It wasn't just the backpackers.  The American military had been active in Thailand since the early 60's.  In addition, you did have the Americans that were operating Air Force bases in NE Thailand.  That helped with establishing many airports in that region that might not have been built until much later if at all.  Then there was the American Navy down in Sattahip.  With the escalating war in neighboring Vietnam as well as parts of Laos and Cambodia, Thailand became a popular destination in the 60's and 70's.  After their service was over, quite a few returned to Thailand and set up bars, restaurants, etc.  

Just now, Andrew65 said:

Not so much in Thailand, but in Phnom Penh the pavement/sidewalk is considered a good place for a bit of arc-welding????

In Thailand the arc welding is done on the highway tarmac. An example is the North bound carriageway of Sukhumvit a little before Hwy 36. The left lane is taken over by a vehicle repair shop.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

In Thailand the arc welding is done on the highway tarmac. An example is the North bound carriageway of Sukhumvit a little before Hwy 36. The left lane is taken over by a vehicle repair shop.

They can probably do a quick patch up job whilst you 're stuck in traffic!????

• Haha 1