Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

MIAMI.jpg

Miami. File photo for reference only

Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume has revealed ambitious plans to transform the resort into a truly world class tourist destination, on a par with the likes of Dubai, Singapore and Miami.

Speaking to Sophon Cable TV on Tuesday, Mr Sonthaya said that the project to develop the resort (dubbed Neo Pattaya) will play an important role in the Eastern Economic Corridor, which aims to spur business, investment and development throughout the eastern seaboard.

When tourism finally resumes, more quality tourists, generating even more income will visit the resort, Mr Sonthaya predicted.

Eventually, Pattaya will become not only a better place for tourists, but will be much improved for people living and working in the city.

The mayor cited Singapore, Dubai and Miami as examples for Pattaya to follow in its bid to become a world class resort, which eventually would include an exciting nightlife, lots of activities for families and a diverse economy.

The mayor added that Old Town Naklua, Koh Larn, Bali Hai Pier, Khao Thap Phraya, Pattaya Beach Walk and Jomtien Beach have all been earmarked for redevelopment, in addition to the upgrades planned for Walking Street.

The news comes as local officials and business leaders, including the mayor himself, were told Pattaya must end its reliance on foreign tourism. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-10

• Like 1

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? This guy must be smoking Ice or Yabba lol Pattaya will only ever be Pattaya and nothing more and even at that it will take a long time for it even to be Pattaya again. The mayor should give his head a good shake 

• Haha 1

Realistically, Pattaya tourism needs to be relaunched in the way that has always made it successful. The mayor could concentrate on an effort to organize the infrastructure to make it a little better than before. There is too much to do, just to attract a higher caliber of tourist. 
Comparisons with Miami etc. are delusional. What if foreign investors were at least encouraged to come here? Perhaps after a century of improvement, some of Singapore’s clientele might wish to check it out. 
He needs to get real and start helping local businesses to recover. Or he could take up writing imaginary books. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

..........perhaps he is referring to the astronomically high murder rates and ruinous drug culture?

don't worry , I've got my Vice Cop cosplay outfit ready !!

Now , I can understand the laughter .

BUT one thing is certain , the old Pattaya is a dead duck , this was obvious long long ago , Covid a once in a lifetime opportunity . Overall that's a great thing , opportunity for a more diverse hub , and really so much more than some skanky bars , that really do bring down a critical area .

Sex tourists , overall ..goodbye , that's a good thing ,  better for all , far far more to Pattaya , was always going to happen .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The only way Pattaya will ever resemble Singapore, Dubai and Miami is during the summer heat spells!  36 degrees day after day with 90% humidity!

I have been to Miami often and I would not wish it on my worst enemy!

10 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

For this to happen Thailand has to start and treat tourist correctly and not looked upon as people to rip-off at every turn, also provide clear footpaths and safe roads instead of allowing three or four drunken Thai's speeding around town and going which ever way they want along one-way roads as is the norm now. I could go on but the list is endless - Nice dream but that is all it is .........!!!

There's also the issue of the Thai police trying to rip off the farangs who rent motorbike. They stop you and ask for a license, once you show the licence they say it's not valid in Thailand, so you are basically driving without a licence. They write you a fine of 500 Bhat that you need to pay now at the police station. There's a motorbike taxi already waiting to take you there (almost 200 Bhat more), you get there pay, they stamp it so when you get back they let you go with the motorbike. This is real extortion, the whole thing is illegal. What a shame! 

37 minutes ago, sandhurstmolonski said:

Now , I can understand the laughter .

BUT one thing is certain , the old Pattaya is a dead duck , this was obvious long long ago , Covid a once in a lifetime opportunity . Overall that's a great thing , opportunity for a more diverse hub , and really so much more than some skanky bars , that really do bring down a critical area .

Sex tourists , overall ..goodbye , that's a good thing ,  better for all , far far more to Pattaya , was always going to happen .

Maybe, if the right investments are made it could be rebranded as a digital nomad destination. That's a big maybe as there's a lot of global competitors... 

If there ever was a time to change Pattaya's image it is now with no money flowing in. It will never happen, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  What will be the main attraction? Just become another sterile shopping city?  Before I moved here (and was single then) did a week in Pattaya until the liver and wallet had enough then went exploring around the country to close out the trip with a few days in Pattaya. Lived for those vacations and Pattaya was part of it.   Pattaya had a niche in the world whether good or bad, it was a place a lot of people wanted to go for various reasons.  Everything evolves just hope Soi 6 stays in tact lol!

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Surely making it as expensive as Singapore or Dubai will make Pattaya too pricey for the regular Cheap Charlie brigade?

Singapore is not that expensive as it look like on first place if you have a job.

Still can work here and feel welcome and safe, earn very good money in an English speaking environment. Tax is as three times lower for me as in Germany. The little higher cost for a good way of life has to see as an additional tax you pay free of your own decision.

I save 30% Tax against Germany, take 5% from that saving for my entertainment here and be happy. Still have 25% plus.

At home near Pattaya, I go seldom there. Just for shopping. Spend my life with my Thai friends at their or my home.

The Thai People want the quality tourists and get the Chinese troupes.

They will learn the next years that Thailand lose the game in tourism.

But is ok, if they want this like that. But the rich people, they look for, can find many better places in the world. The normal people who build up that town are not welcome anymore.

The old Farang with less money also want not come back due to that attitude of only money sucking without service. Dear Thai People, you need to try working with your hands again.

The Golden Cow stay away.

• Like 1