New Zealand Maori leader ejected from parliament for not wearing a necktie

webfact

Back in the 1990s as a field engineer I had to wear a tie at the office, but as soon as the meetings were over I got in my company car, took my ie off and threw it in the back where it stayed until I got home on Friday.

Nobody could come up with a reason other than "You are a professional engineer, and all professionals wear a tie". Nobody could answer the question, does the tie make me a better engineer? When I came to work in Thailand, same company, same stupid rule. I went out to the market stalls and bought some of the gaudiest, flashiest and most revolting ties I could find and wore them to the office at Monday morning meetings.

My bosses didn't like that either and were definitely unimpressed when I said if they wanted me to wear proper ties I would, but I would expense them as essential business equipment.

A tie is useful as a sling or a tourniquet in an emergency but useless for every day wear.

• Like 2

I have no idea what the dress code is in the New Zealand parliment but if it calls for a neck tie

this guy is wrong.

If he would work on a construction site they would  make him wear safety gear(gloves,hardhat,safety shoes) in traffic he will have to wear a seatbelt and on a motorbike he would have to wear a helmet!

This is also a workplace so there may be a dress code.

I remember the Dutch prins Bernhard who took of his tie and shocked every one but that is another topic.

Edited by jvs
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

New Zealand Maori leader ejected from parliament for not wearing a necktie

Like it or not, if there is a dress code then people participating should respect this code, I myself have be refused admission to places for this very point but I had to respect their point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Waititi, who has called ties "a colonial noose," was told last year that he would be ejected from the House if he did not wear one. On Tuesday he wore a taonga, a Maori greenstone pendant, instead.

So he's ok with a culturally-appropriate noose...

Anyway, it's just a storm in a tie-cup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Neckties! The most useless piece of apparel ever invented, I have a hard time trusting people who wear neckties!

No ties on Pat. 

Try getting in to the members in Melbourne during spring carnival without a tie. They won’t let you in.

Even most of the plebs outside the members wear a tie these days.

It confuses me why I have to wear a tie to watch a horse race, but not at the footy or cricket.
There is a pay off though, all the shielas tart themselves up and get blind drunk which gets them in the mood, similar to weddings, which doesn’t happen at the cricket and footy. 

54 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Like it or not, if there is a dress code then people participating should respect this code, I myself have be refused admission to places for this very point but I had to respect their point.

Its not a private business place. 

He is correct, the rule will be changed.