Can I book a semi commercial flight via Google Flight or do I have to book such flight in some special way?

I understand that to go to Bangkok (e.g., via visa exemption, regular tourist visa, or special tourist visa), one currently has to book a so-called authorized semi-commercial flight. To book such flight, is it ok to book it via Google Flight and just making sure that the last leg of the flight has a Flight Number (e.g. SFO---(UA 837)--->NRT----(NH 805)---->BKK) that is listed in the list of authorized semi-commercial flight? Or do I have to book such flight in some special way?

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to reserve your flights directly with the airline.

thank you do you know if "You have to reserve your flights directly with the airline." means one can reserve online via the airline website, does this means one have to talk to an airline agent to make the booking?

Re "having to book direct with the airline", based on what? The information on that link is just telling you not to contact the Embassy for semi-commercial flights and to ensure you have all required/correct documentation. It doesn't exclude anyone booking via Google flights etc.

At this time the way flights can be cancelled, I'd say it's prudent to book via the airline but it's not essential.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Based on what? The information on that link is just telling you not to contact the Embassy for semi-commercial flights and to ensure you have all required/correct documentation. It doesn't exclude anyone booking via Google flights etc.

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ says:

For the semi-commercial flights, please contact the airlines directly.

This could be understood as booking via Google Flight being invalid (except if Google Flight perhaps redirected to the airline website).

However, I don't see what the motivation behind this is. This makes no sense. But many other requirements also makes no sense, so I am not sure which requirements are required.

3 minutes ago, user70 said:

From my understanding, this is just for repatriation flights for Thai nationals. (no clue why they would have different flights than non-Thais).

You are correct - I skim read it and missed that, but your comment regarding "please contact the airlines directly" may apply.  For something as sensitive to change as this, I'd be doing that anyway.

3 minutes ago, user70 said:

From my understanding, this is just for repatriation flights for Thai nationals. (no clue why they would have different flights than non-Thais).

As I understand it, they've arranged a set number of flights to get their people home, hence giving the contact details so those eligible can arrange to get on those flights and avail themselves of the free quarantine.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

You can book online using the airline's own website. No need to talk to anyone.

Perhaps that's case by case, the Singapore Airlines daily semi-commercial flight (S'pore to Bkk) is not showing on S'pore airlines main website and you have to talk direct to the airline. Calling from Australia the call redirects to a SQ officer in S'pore (but charged as a local call). I've called already, the SQ officer was courteous, good listener and gave a lot of good advice including the specific address to check current situation with transferring flights in S'pore, no hurry and (at least for the flight I was asking about) the fare is much reduced (both legs of the flight; Syd to S'pore and Spore to Bkk). SQ officer also indicated I could book the flight and pay through her immediately (Visa/M'card etc.) or 'call back when your ready' and she gave her name. There is a AU$50 fee for booking using this service. Calling from Australia the Tel no. is 13 10 11.

17 hours ago, Salerno said:

As I understand it, they've arranged a set number of flights to get their people home, hence giving the contact details so those eligible can arrange to get on those flights and avail themselves of the free quarantine.

Plus for many countries there are still many citizens having big problems to get home, currently some 40,000 Australians still trying to get home and the repat. flights can't cope with this, hence they started another stream of flights (labelled semi-commercial flights) which are planned to, on arrival, be met by local health, immigration etc., officials in Bkk, and to get these folks (when all checked) into vehicles owned/operated by the quarantine hotels. It's working well.  

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus for many countries there are still many citizens having big problems to get home, currently some 40,000 Australians still trying to get home and the repat. flights can't cope with this, hence they started another stream of flights (labelled semi-commercial flights) which are planned to, on arrival, be met by local health, immigration etc., officials in Bkk, and to get these folks (when all checked) into vehicles owned/operated by the quarantine hotels. It's working well.  

The semi-commercial flight list spreadsheet is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=1563230051

It's created/updated  regularly by the Thai Office of Consular Affairs

last update was yesterday 10 Feb 2021. 

Interested to know the cost of flight,mate of mine just booked SQ flight BKK SIN Canberra for 1500AUD, . via input from Oz Embassy here.

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps that's case by case, the Singapore Airlines daily semi-commercial flight (S'pore to Bkk) is not showing on S'pore airlines main website and you have to talk direct to the airline. Calling from Australia the call redirects to a SQ officer in S'pore (but charged as a local call). I've called already, the SQ officer was courteous, good listener and gave a lot of good advice including the specific address to check current situation with transferring flights in S'pore, no hurry and (at least for the flight I was asking about) the fare is much reduced (both legs of the flight; Syd to S'pore and Spore to Bkk). SQ officer also indicated I could book the flight and pay through her immediately (Visa/M'card etc.) or 'call back when your ready' and she gave her name. There is a AU$50 fee for booking using this service. Calling from Australia the Tel no. is 13 10 11.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Interested to know the cost of flight,mate of mine just booked SQ flight BKK SIN Canberra for 1500AUD, . via input from Oz Embassy here.

If you mean the semi-commercial flight I was eluding to (not on SQ main website) the details are:

- SQ212 Departs Sydney 7.77 am - Arrives S'pore 2.15 pm

stopover around 1hr 45 min, then

- SQ712 Departs S'pore 16.00 pm - Arrives Bkk (Suv) 17.25

pm.

Total airfare Syd - S'pore  AU$745, economy class, plus AU$50 phone booking fee. (Bus class is available but I didn't take any details of fares.)

SQ officer also mentioned that this is a special class of airfare (because it's an agreed semi-commercial flight) with different calculations and subject to fluctuations, can change every day or every few days. Can go up, can go down. 

Semi-commercial flights are not available Bangkok to Sydney.

Normal SQ Bkk - Syd flights are available on the SQ main website subject to normal booking process and normal fares (quite expensive).

As mentioned above passenger can book and pay for the Semi-commercial flight on the phone and can at the same time book and pay for return flight, which is subject to normal pricing.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps that's case by case, the Singapore Airlines daily semi-commercial flight (S'pore to Bkk) is not showing on S'pore airlines main website and you have to talk direct to the airline.

I can see it on their website and can take a dummy booking all the way through to the payment page.

image.png.040a9ed3bb278dbb25eec2fb9734ac8e.png

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

SQ712, on the snip attached above departs S'pore 15.25 & arrives Bkk 17.00

SQ712, on the semi-commercial flights spreadsheet departs S'pore 16.00 and   arrives Bkk 17.25.

Confusing...

The spreadsheet is using the northern summer timings.  Choose a date from April on and it'll be the same as the spreadsheet.  It's the same flight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, blackcab said:

You can book online using the airline's own website. No need to talk to anyone.

That might depend on the airline and whether online you can see/access the actual flight number you must book.

Maybe it's changed but a few weeks ago the only way to get a booking on the semi-comm. flight list with S'pore airlines was by phone.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe it's changed but a few weeks ago the only way to get a booking on the semi-comm. flight list with S'pore airlines was by phone.

Seems OK more recently from the screeenshots upthread.

Archived