Gardening Shoes

stubuzz

I brought over a good pair of boots from Ireland with me for the serious work, got years of good work out of them and all, but alas, they're getting pretty shook like myself. For lighter work, a cheap pair of comfortable shoes. 

The missus always wears rubber ankle boots (wellies) when in the garden. Something to do with snake bites. 

• Like 1

About 10 years ago I was taking our cultivator to the field ,I had it strapped on to a set of harrows ,going to cultivate  a piece of land then harrow it.

Got to the field unloading the cultivator, it slipped and 60 kg of steel landed on my right toes ,I was wearing some steel cap boots ,a good job no injury.

I used to wear  them in the UK  when working ,over here I used to get them from our local market ,but only last week I got a pair from Thai Watt Sado ,basically very heavy-duty Trainers with steel caps .

But in the wet season Wellington boots ,and now just pottering around the garden/  just flip-flops .

PS,  do not weld steel in flip-flops weld splatter is hot and makes you dance a jig when it lands on your foot, especially if it is old galvanized steel pipe, that stuff  does spit some  splatter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

... PS,  do not weld steel in flip-flops weld splatter is hot and makes you dance a jig when it lands on your foot, especially if it is old galvanized steel pipe, that stuff  does spit some  splatter.  

A former boss needed a short piece of steel strap for a project.  He was wearing shorts and slipped on his cowboy boots.  He cut it off with his cutting torch. It fell down in his boot onto his instep.  It was nasty.  I imagine he did a bit of dancing ...

https://media.tenor.com/images/6c1f9e7f27399146f49acf4ec334ac9a/tenor.gif

On 2/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, kickstart said:

do not weld steel in flip-flops weld splatter is hot and makes you dance a jig when it lands on your foot

Still weld with flipflops, but tie 'chaps' below my knee that covers my legs and my feet. I made them from an old synthetic leather welding apron.

For the farm I tried "gumboots", in my home country they are strong, durable and fits naturally. I tried a few local pairs in vain, way too tight around the calves and without breathing my legs sweat inside. The rubber tend to stretch and my feet slip inside leaving me with rotten toe nails. Rubber boots here are made for Thais with chicken legs and hobbit feet.

Clipboard01.jpg.dd7fcd9fee3c6a721cc428360c59f516.jpg

I wear the these tipe of 'water shoes' around the farm these days. They don't slop mud around like boots and flipflops. They work well in most conditions and are comfy and easily washable, the soles last as long as  cheap flipflops if you don't drag your feet like a buffalo. They are about 150฿ with delivery on Lazada.

• Like 2

crocs are great for general gadening as they are light and let your feet breathe while stopping them getting sunburnt, when spraying, brush cutting or after heavy rain I wear rubber boots and if I have to dig I wear safety boots, really up to you as to what feels most comfortable and protects our feet

On 2/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, djayz said:

I brought over a good pair of boots from Ireland with me for the serious work, got years of good work out of them and all, but alas, they're getting pretty shook like myself. For lighter work, a cheap pair of comfortable shoes. 

I'm envious. On my last trip to the US nearly 2 years ago I was about to bring over my nice work boots but decided the ones I had already brought still had some life left in them and I would wait for my next trip to replace them. Then came Covid and my boots have long since worn out working at the farm. I still beat myself up over that decision to leave the boots. I did find some ankle high Nash work boots at DoHome that fit my large feet. Not so comfortable nor durable but cheap enough at about 450 baht. They last about six months.