Craft Beer Chiang Mai

connda

With all the lockdowns suddenly I find there is a Craft Beer Association here in Thailand as they are screaming to reopen in Bangkok at least.  Which mean there should be someone with a business selling craft beer in Chiang Mai.  If anyone knows of a place that sells craft beer, could you supply the location including either GPS or Google Map coordinates.  I'm not looking for bottled craft beer but something on tap.  My preference would be a craft beer brewed and served on premise if there is such an animal.  If not, then a bar that sells a good craft beer on tap. 

Much appreciated.

Edited by connda

The Thai government places high hurdles to opening a legal brewery in Thailand in order to protect the well connected big boys.  For that reason legal "Thai" craft beer has to be bottled outside of Thailand and imported back in, after paying the import tax.  Western craft beers are also hit with the high import tax.  For that reason expect any craft beer you find to be much more expensive than the local beer.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:02 PM, Zeitvertreib said:

Namton's House Bar, 

Watket, near Gymkhana,

12-18 craft beers on tap, selection changing frequently

see google maps or Facebook for exact location and more info

That's what I'm looking for!

On 2/12/2021 at 5:39 AM, heybruce said:

The Thai government places high hurdles to opening a legal brewery in Thailand in order to protect the well connected big boys.  For that reason legal "Thai" craft beer has to be bottled outside of Thailand and imported back in, after paying the import tax.  Western craft beers are also hit with the high import tax.  For that reason expect any craft beer you find to be much more expensive than the local beer.

Sorta beats the purpose of wanting a good local craft beer on tap.  :sad:

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, heybruce said:

Agreed.  There are many entrepreneurial young Thais who have learned the joy of craft brewing and would love to set up microbreweries.  Some have tried to do so, but to my knowledge the legal hurdles have prevented any of these businesses from succeeding. 

Thailand's laws are designed to protect the rich and connected from troublesome upstarts that might eat into profits or (god forbid!) upset the established order.

Mildly interested.  What are the laws pertaining to individuals brewing their own at home?  ????

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Mildly interested.  What are the laws pertaining to individuals brewing their own at home?  ????

Illegal to homebrew, they changed the law in 2016, it used to be 200 baht fine, now it is 100,000 baht fine and possibly prison or both, ouch.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, heybruce said:

Agreed.  There are many entrepreneurial young Thais who have learned the joy of craft brewing and would love to set up microbreweries.  Some have tried to do so, but to my knowledge the legal hurdles have prevented any of these businesses from succeeding. 

Thailand's laws are designed to protect the rich and connected from troublesome upstarts that might eat into profits or (god forbid!) upset the established order.

Wine producing  is a similar situation in the reverse here in Thailand . Meaning that the home produced wine has a large advantage over imported wine on price . Resulting  in a poor  quality of  wine from the Thai producers . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, itsari said:

Wine producing  is a similar situation in the reverse here in Thailand . Meaning that the home produced wine has a large advantage over imported wine on price . Resulting  in a poor  quality of  wine from the Thai producers . 

That  'home-made'  Monsoon Syrah is on the Oriental Hotel's Wine list.