Looking to purchase a Big Motorbike

dsmiththailand

We have been renting  a forza 300 and now looking to purchase our own big bike. As we only have experience with Forza, are there better bikes for a couple that someone can recommend? Are goal would be to travel around Thailand on the bike so looking for great horsepower and comfortable seat for two. Thanks

18 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

We have been renting  a forza 300 and now looking to purchase our own big bike. 

So.. if you want something similar - Maxi Scooter... You’re looking at

- Yamaha TMAX 560cc (expensive 500,000 Baht)

- Honda Forza - now a 350cc (173,000 Baht)

- Honda PCX 

- Honda NC750x (more motorbike, fully auto with storage where fuel tank normally is)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.. if you want something similar - Maxi Scooter... You’re looking at

- Yamaha TMAX 560cc (expensive 500,000 Baht)

- Honda Forza - now a 350cc (173,000 Baht)

- Honda PCX 

- Honda NC750x (more motorbike, fully auto with storage where fuel tank normally is)

PCX only comes in 150cc....i think.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

We have been renting  a forza 300 and now looking to purchase our own big bike. As we only have experience with Forza, are there better bikes for a couple that someone can recommend? Are goal would be to travel around Thailand on the bike so looking for great horsepower and comfortable seat for two. Thanks

I think the small ( 14 or15" ) wheel size make these types of bike to unstable for touring.

I'm sure others will disagree.

• Haha 1

OP was is your level of experience?

Well maybe wasting time, because not so long time ago a newbie asked for advice and he ended up buying a Honda Goldwing, ha-ha, not sure if he was trolling or not but he sounded serious.

So how did you find the Forza 300? The new 350 got about 4hp more, will that be enough with 29hp 2up?

Honda 500X got a bit more hp and will be better suited for 2up touring, Versys650 even more.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you want? A bike with a big engine or a bike which looks big but has a small engine and not even gears?

Ship.thumb.jpg.51adc5f57c7fadbde9eccdcf3969d2ae.jpg

I think that a propeller blade visible under the rear light? So it's amphibious!! That bloody cool man, where can I buy one and I will be sailing off to Sri Lanka.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I think that a propeller blade visible under the rear light? So it's amphibious!! That bloody cool man, where can I buy one and I will be sailing off to Sri Lanka.

I saw it a that location a couple of times.

13.723249350743158, 100.55538197682674

Maybe you want to make the captain an offer.

jack-sparrow.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OP was is your level of experience?

Well maybe wasting time, because not so long time ago a newbie asked for advice and he ended up buying a Honda Goldwing, ha-ha, not sure if he was trolling or not but he sounded serious.

So how did you find the Forza 300? The new 350 got about 4hp more, will that be enough with 29hp 2up?

Honda 500X got a bit more hp and will be better suited for 2up touring, Versys650 even more.

I have more than 15 years expericence riding motorbikes within many countries including Thailand.  We have fun with the Forza and seriously looking at the Forza 350 for a new purchase but just wanted to check around with the community first.  I would love to take a drive to Phuket from Pattaya but just a little hestiate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsmiththailand said:

I have more than 15 years expericence riding motorbikes within many countries including Thailand.  We have fun with the Forza and seriously looking at the Forza 350 for a new purchase but just wanted to check around with the community first.  I would love to take a drive to Phuket from Pattaya but just a little hestiate.  

Well if you are happy with the Forza then why not, must admit that I had a closer look on-line myself but I am always riding solo.

20 hours ago, dsmiththailand said:

Our goal would be to travel around Thailand on the bike so looking for great horsepower and comfortable seat for two. Thanks

I have met two travelling on a CB300R so size is not super important. What is , is comfort. Used Harley 883 might fit the bill or maybe a BMW400 scooter? If it is not comfortable the "we" will soon tire of it.

If she is happy on a Forza buy one of those. Once up country the traffic is quite mellow and travels at about 100-110kph.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

It might be a prototype of one of the new subs...

45 years if riding big bikes.. ..I'd recommend a Honda CB 500x. You can easily tour 2 up unless both of you are very large. Its low to the ground, easy to find accessories for it as its very common here, easy to maintain, unlimited choices for tires, comfortable.  Mine is a 2014, now has 80,000k with no problems  I put most of the mileage  on it myself. The newer version has a larger front wheel for better offroad riding. There are many 2nd hand ones fully equipped for touring on the market. Susuki V-stroms or Kawasaki verseys are also good choices.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

I think the small ( 14 or15" ) wheel size make these types of bike to unstable for touring.

I'm sure others will disagree.

It is a proven fact, that a motorcycle with i.e. 17 inch wheels has a substantial higher gyroscopic force, than a scooter with 14 inch wheels. Therefore a real motorcycle is way more stable especially in critical conditions. Besides you want to look at a motorcycle with a seat which is comfortable for two persons, preferably with no elevated exhaust, which will prevent you from installing saddle bags on one or both sides of the bike. The W850 Kawasaki and the Triumph Bonneville are bikes to look out for, just to name two.

1 hour ago, Ganoga said:

45 years if riding big bikes.. ..I'd recommend a Honda CB 500x. You can easily tour 2 up unless both of you are very large. Its low to the ground, easy to find accessories for it as its very common here, easy to maintain, unlimited choices for tires, comfortable.  Mine is a 2014, now has 80,000k with no problems  I put most of the mileage  on it myself. The newer version has a larger front wheel for better offroad riding. There are many 2nd hand ones fully equipped for touring on the market. Susuki V-stroms or Kawasaki verseys are also good choices.

Nice bike, but for me a little under powered.  Isn't there a 650 version? I would go for a Triumph, almost any model over 800 cc, lovely looking bikes

I have been riding bikes for more than 50 years. You could do a lot worse than trying to find a good Honda Phantom. Wonderful little bike. I traveled from Nakom Phanom to Krabi on mine with the wife. Very comfortable and easy to ride. I own 3 of them now.

Phantom South.jpg

Phantom North.jpg

Phantom Egypt.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

It is a proven fact, that a motorcycle with i.e. 17 inch wheels has a substantial higher gyroscopic force, than a scooter with 14 inch wheels. Therefore a real motorcycle is way more stable especially in critical conditions. Besides you want to look at a motorcycle with a seat which is comfortable for two persons, preferably with no elevated exhaust, which will prevent you from installing saddle bags on one or both sides of the bike. The W850 Kawasaki and the Triumph Bonneville are bikes to look out for, just to name two.

The two bikes you mention are not tourers.

I currently have a multistrada and have had BM GS's in the past, both very comfortable with a pillion ( or alone ), the pannier brackets and configuration on both bikes are excellent, they've a proven track record everywhere they've been used.

Could n't be bothered googling what 'gyroscopic forces' are but a large wheel will take impact better ( especially if spoked ) than a smaller wheel in my experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

If you are looking for a medium class bike, I have been riding my Honda cbr650f since 2014 from new and it's been a great bike. It has all the power you need and is comfortable to ride. Try renting one to see how you like it.

ER6N's ( i think Z600's they're called now ) are also a robust mid range bike.