Bar owners in Pattaya demand midnight closing time

webfact

Bar owners in Pattaya demand midnight closing time

Pattaya.jpg

“Permanently Closed” signs in front of bars, pubs and entertainment venues in Pattaya reflect the problems that owners are facing during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Many of them could not save their businesses, as their income relied heavily on foreign tourists, to the tune of about 24 billion baht a year.

The owner of the “Lisa Guesthouse” bar, located on Jom Thien beach, joined others in demanding the reopening of entertainment venues. Although they have reopened, she thinks that only being allowed to open until 11pm doesn’t ease their burden, as customers don’t normally arrive until around 9pm.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bar-owners-in-pattaya-demand-midnight-closing-time/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Although they have reopened, she thinks that only being allowed to open until 11pm doesn’t ease their burden, as customers don’t normally arrive until around 9pm

Late closing encourages late arriving... if you close at 11pm most will start to arrive earlier.

In the past bars in my area used to close at 2am, people wouldn't go out until 11pm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

after 11pm 

It is somehow a strange situation. Everywhere you have to run around with a mask but if you are customer of a bar this is not necessary anymore and you can sit close to other people. But if you leave the bar don't forget to use your mask again and care about social distancing! 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

From link A cashier at Cheeky Bar said she had been working there for a year when the outbreak began. Although her salary is not high, she still gets extra money by entertaining customers,

Is that sort of juggling or something ? 

Wow. That statement bluntly says much about the economic situation in Thailand.

Not even joking. Can these ladies get a good education? Are there good jobs available to them? What then are their options?

I often watch YouTubers filming the Patts and BKK nightlife. Often there are what appear to be customers who've happily decided to hire these ladies. I then see a few comments from Thais angry to see them in this line of work. Hah, ok then. I'd really like to know what they're doing to remedy the situation.

Khun Somchai, I take it you're hiring for your office or factory? When can they start?

I just an hour or so ago stumbled on a YouTube live stream from a music bar in Key West, Florida. Many obviously under the influence and not a mask in sight on the dance floor. For the passers by outside I'd guess about 50% had masks. The place was busy at 9 PM and still is (-12 hours).

Struck me as strange in a country that is leading the pack in covid cases that they were open with little or no restrictons.

I kind of sympathise with the government on this on trying to control the result of most peoples behaviour after alcohol, but I am afraid it's an impossible goal.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Get customers to come earlier. Back in the UK when pub's closed at 11pm I always found it strange that people went out at 9pm drunk as much as they could in 2 hours

I tried that, I started out earlier than usual... but was still disappointed that everything was going dark soon after 11 and could have done with another hour. A few GGBs were still going of course... and I still woke up with a headache.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

From link A cashier at Cheeky Bar said she had been working there for a year when the outbreak began. Although her salary is not high, she still gets extra money by entertaining customers,

Is that sort of juggling or something ? 

Two balls in each hand takes skill and should be rewarded.

• Like 1

I think chess. 

They had a chess club in Hua Hin. Met on a Friday evening above the chippy. And the chess in Udon Thani drew in loads of new people.

What about mathematics? There are many farang that would like to improve their maths. Could study for an on-line 'O" level.

Gin-rummy and crib; if the local police could relax the card playing rules. 

Battleships anyone!?

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

These Pattaya bars are mainly fronts for hookers catering to mostly elderly sexpats. 

The owners are pimps. 
And are making demands from the government. 

They must be stark raving mad. 

Who ? ...

Hookers, elderly sexpats, pimps, owners or government?

• Like 2

Personally I'm really happy with the 11:00pm close .… much less noise pollution from the small rural bars that have large sound systems. 

..… that is apart from Sundays when I Iike a beer and a game of pool ????

9 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Not even joking. Can these ladies get a good education? Are there good jobs available to them? What then are their options?

Unfortunately if their from Isaan (only because I don’t know about other areas) due financial reasons and? most are done with school in 8th or 9th grade ( apologies I don’t know what the equivalent is here in Thailand).

i hope the country starts having everyone no matter finance or whatever get an opportunity to at least finish 12 grade. Sure they’ll be some dropouts but kids

need to learn to have a glimmer of a chance to survive in the workplace.