Bar owners in Pattaya demand midnight closing time

webfact

9 hours ago, Saltire said:

I just an hour or so ago stumbled on a YouTube live stream from a music bar in Key West, Florida. Many obviously under the influence and not a mask in sight on the dance floor. For the passers by outside I'd guess about 50% had masks. The place was busy at 9 PM and still is (-12 hours).

Struck me as strange in a country that is leading the pack in covid cases that they were open with little or no restrictons.

I kind of sympathise with the government on this on trying to control the result of most peoples behaviour after alcohol, but I am afraid it's an impossible goal.

25 Thousand people just attended a stupor bowl, many more gathered in celebration at Florida bars not to mention millions at home parties. Since last March when there was just a few thousand cases, not much was really done in States with Republican governors. No legal way to control peoples behavior other than closing venues and no legal basis for binding travel restrictions. The entire society needs to be reformed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greenbottle555 said:

Big YES to all three. Every country has dumb hoes. Expats and tourists seem to be infatuated with Thai ones for some reason.

Good jobs might be available (depending on your definition of "good") but I doubt they would be able to earn as much as an attractive girl/boy could in a bar.  As has been discussed earlier in the thread, prostitutes in most countries are far less accessible than the bargirls and barboys in places like Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok.  Try just offering to buy a western hooker a drink and have a chat!

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

In my wife's Issan village, many stop at Grade 6 (end of primary school, to continue high school elsewhere) or Grade 9 (half of high school, when they can transfer to vocational training). Unfortunately many leave it at that. For one, even at the "free" government schools there are still fees to pay, along with their uniforms, school supplies, and mandatory trips or activities.

Would point out at Grade 9, staying on at high school is by invitation of the school only.

Many kids are ejected at that age, continuing in 'vocational training' is rarely a free choice.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I know from experience many so called professionals, ie nurses, secretaries, office workers etc opt to work in bars because the salary is potentially better, the hours are better and they get paid to have fun. Not all bars are quiet so the bars should be open until 12.00 or later to give these ladies a chance to make some money.  

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

How much more of a "living" will they make from 11pm to 12am from expats?

Alot of these businesses are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Many have dipped into their life savings, to keep their businesses afloat, and some have come to the end of the line. Anything will help, and one extra hour will not hurt anyone. The government has been doing so little for small business owners here, it is beyond shocking, and a very sad indictment, of where their heads and hearts are. Throw them a bone. Do something. Just do not do nothing. 

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of these businesses are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Many have dipped into their life savings, to keep their businesses afloat, and some have come to the end of the line. Anything will help, and one extra hour will not hurt anyone. The government has been doing so little for small business owners here, it is beyond shocking, and a very sad indictment, of where their heads and hearts are. Throw them a bone. Do something. Just do not do nothing. 

I understand your point of view, and no argument from me about the pathetic response of the Thai government shown to the Thai population.  

After a few drinks, you slow down the drinking pace.  Just wondering if the extra hour of sales would be worth it, given it's also an extra hour of expenses.  Eg. electric etc.  

I could understand for a big venue, with many customers, like a nightclub, but for small bars, would it really be worth it? 

3 minutes ago, smiggley said:

Later on in the night customers get a bit freer with there money hense the extra hour can be quite lucretive sometimes.

And after this extra hour another extra hour. And after this extra hour another... Not all of them care about the closing time anyway. At least here in Central Pattaya.

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

And after this extra hour another extra hour. And after this extra hour another... Not all of them care about the closing time anyway. At least here in Central Pattaya.

That said, 11pm is rather early for a place like Pattaya. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would say that extra hour would take away from the earnings of the previous hours.  More expense than sales.  

Not at all.... people just prefer to be out late and that late hour is lucrative. There are many working Expats who may drive to town for a night out and not start the evening until 8pm.... you can see from the OP that the bar owners know later timings is better for them, and they should be in the know. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, hotchilli said:

Late closing encourages late arriving... if you close at 11pm most will start to arrive earlier.

In the past bars in my area used to close at 2am, people wouldn't go out until 11pm

When in Pattaya I always went out at 10PM as it wasn't interesting till then.

Back in the 90s there were always bars/ discos open all night, never mind this nanny state BS closing entertainment at midnight in a tourist area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When in Pattaya I always went out at 10PM as it wasn't interesting till then.

Back in the 90s there were always bars/ discos open all night, never mind this nanny state BS closing entertainment at midnight in a tourist area.

Given that that got a like, to expand a bit, I'd start at Lucky Star bar complex to observe the passing parade ( this was after Walking Street started- before that Soi 8 was THE scene. About midnight I'd move to Marine Disco till that closed about 4am. Then I'd move to a disco behind Lucky Star bar complex which went on till after dawn. I never stayed long enough to know when that closed. I'd walk back to hotel on Soi 10, but run when the ladyboy posse came for me on the corner in front of Walking Street entrance.

Plenty of bars with farangs drinking after dawn.

However that was long ago when Pattaya was in it's heyday, and the management hadn't daydreamed about becoming the new Riviera ( and getting mega rich ).

Back then Pattaya was fun, fun, fun for big boys. Very sad what happened to it, and it's not been much fun for a long while now.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, jacko45k said:

people just prefer to be out late and that late hour is lucrative.

What people?  Elderly retired expats?  

How you accounted for the slower drinking rate as it gets later?  

Many successful bars, the world over, get the people in early whilst they are thirsty.  They fill them full of alcohol, and then when the pace slows down, they close, to save on costs. 

The now intoxicated people go to another bar, where their next drink, or two, that they sit on for 30 mins each, ends up tipping some of them over the edge, and they cause trouble in your competition's bar.  

On 2/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, jacko45k said:

There are many working Expats who may drive to town for a night out and not start the evening until 8pm..

Not that many.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What people?  Elderly retired expats? 

Yes, I am one and do, as did the other 5 or 6 guys I was out with too.... Expats, some not elderly, we got those too. Expats from Bangkok, none of them want to be told to go to bed at 11pm... and the British ones want to watch the football... not go home at half time,

Don't apply your Western scenes to Pattaya, here it gets later, people spend more, buy lady-drinks, go clubbing. Even in the West they open late because most customers work during the daytime. Stopping by the pub next to the tube station for a couple of hours on the way home is less common.

Your argument is that of a sieve

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I am one and do, as did the other 5 or 6 guys I was out with too.... Expats, some not elderly, we got those too. Expats from Bangkok, none of them want to be told to go to bed at 11pm... and the British ones want to watch the football... not go home at half time,

Don't apply your Western scenes to Pattaya, here it gets later, people spend more, buy lady-drinks, go clubbing. Even in the West they open late because most customers work during the daytime. Stopping by the pub next to the tube station for a couple of hours on the way home is less common.

Your argument is that of a sieve

I would agree, if we were talking about 2am or 3am or 5am closing, but it 11pm versus 12 midnight.  Hardly "clubbing" time, is it?  

I concede some bars here may turn a small profit in that 1 hour, but for many, that 1 hour would run at a loss.  

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would agree, if we were talking about 2am or 3am or 5am closing, but it 11pm versus 12 midnight.  Hardly "clubbing" time, is it?  

I concede some bars here may turn a small profit in that 1 hour, but for many, that 1 hour would run at a loss.  

Every little helps and in the case of watching UK football that is an important hour. If they are running at a loss they are entitled to operate their own timings... but those I have spoken to are far from happy with 11pm. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Every little helps and in the case of watching UK football that is an important hour. If they are running at a loss they are entitled to operate their own timings... but those I have spoken to are far from happy with 11pm. 

I agree on the bars showing the football. I doubt there is much to be made between 11pm and 12am in the bars that don't.  

The virus doesn't hibernate at 11pm, so it's a ridiculous law anyway.  

Edited by Leaver

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree on the bars showing the football. I doubt there is much to be made between 11pm and 12am in the bars that don't.  

The virus doesn't hibernate at 11pm, so it's a ridiculous law anyway.  

And I think you are wrong.... many do make money with the later crowd. Nightclubs as an example.... Perhaps the law is easier for the police as they don't seem to work nights nor early mornings. 

Just the opposite for some of us early risers they open too late.

Many of the good bar areas, Soi 6 and Boomerang open at 2 or 3 pm.

Way too late I think not everyone wakes up at noon.  

They have lost me as a customer as by that time I have been online or at massage which smartly open at 9 or 10 am.