Best truck under 900k

stoneinfocus

The BT50 4 four door is 771,000, while the Isuzu is ฿686,000. I think this is the cheapest four door and seems very good value. It also has the smallest engine. It seems the best value.

How do the different brands compare on safety? Besides the basic versions, they all seem to be raisbe, which really affects handling.

Edited by Smithson

5 hours ago, Smithson said:

The BT50 4 four door is 771,000, while the Isuzu is ฿686,000. I think this is the cheapest four door and seems very good value. It also has the smallest engine. It seems the best value.

How do the different brands compare on safety? Besides the basic versions, they all seem to be raisbe, which really affects handling.

Not sure about safety, I think they all have airbags, but you're better off not hitting anything.

The Isuzu 1.9 is a pretty new (3 yr?) engine, but all the engines seem to be getting smaller. 

You really should go to the Motor Show, look at them all, sit in them all, pick one you like.

Don't torment yourself, there all good.  I'd rather drive a good car L like than a great car I don't like. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:17 PM, superal said:

1 point for consideration may be the service intervals on new motors  . On my ladies Mitsu Attrage there is no escaping servicing because of low mileage as they also state a time period regardless of the motors mileage . Some of the services are not cheap and only yesterday when having a 2 year service they told my lady that the battery was only working at 80% and needed replacing for 4000 baht . I politely rejected their offer . 

Service intervals are a sales gimmick if diesel 10k no less, 50k on auto trans forget what dealers says 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:10 PM, Thai Dan said:

I bought the 2016 Ford Ranger XLT, 4 door, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic Transmission for 869,000 with one year first class insurance.  The same model today is 899,000 including first class insurance for one year (appr. THB 18k value).  We still love the truck as if it were new.  Here is a comparison between the automatic and manual transmission models at this link:

Ford Ranger Double Cab 2.2L XLT Hi-Rider

We test drove all other trucks in the same class from the other manufacturers and they all have certain bells and whistles that one may or may not like, but the things that stand out for us on the Ranger, even to this day, are as follows:

• Drive quality.  The driving/operating quality and the comfort while doing so are the best for us.  One thing I did with all brands/models was to drive with 2 wheels on the road and 2 wheels on the shoulder at about 50 Kph.  The Ranger handles that with confidence and comfort while other brands felt jerky, clunky and a tad unstable.  Again, trucks in this class range, special models not included.
  • Turning radius.  For doing U-turns, the ranger has the smallest/tightest turn radius, meaning you can pull off a U-turn in one go instead of having to reverse and go again to complete a tight U-turn.  U-turns in Thailand are a fact of life and they are dangerous, so a one-shot U-turn capability makes a big difference when you have cars waiting behind you and cars coming at you in the oncoming lanes.
  • Interior comfort.  Front seats on all the trucks may be similar, but the rear seats in this model have more recline than any others with good legroom, and a long trip when sitting in the back seats is not a problem, even for a farang sized person.
  • Power assist steering.  The steering wheel tension becomes firmer as your speed gets higher.  Hard to describe this until you test drive it, but it makes a difference so that you're not oversteering at speed, while by the same token making the turning effort easy at very low speeds, such as parking or U-turns or just about town and country.
  • Visibility.  Of all the trucks we drove, the Ranger has the best line of sight all around, meaning you can see better for parking in tight places and you have a good awareness of your lane vs other lanes/vehicles on the road.  The slope of the hood is especially good for visibility in the front.
  • In 4 years of driving, we have never missed having 4 wheel drive or a bigger engine.  The truck is still as tight as it was when new and we have no rattles, vibrations or other "looseness" that older vehicles used to suffer from.  We drive between 15-20k kilometers per year.  Put a new set of tires and "mag" wheels on last year.  We change the oil every 10k km and use Shell silicon oil.
  • We still love the truck and have no plans to sell or trade any time soon.  No reason to: it still drives and looks great.

Of course, these are just my personal observations.  Your mileage may vary.

image.png.4bdb849ae996d01960c7f050e167cffc.png

We have a bt50 3.2 back home, my work runs a fleet of rangers in every spec from 2.2 rwd upto 3.2 4wd. On paper 2.2 has such less power and torque but to drive feels so much more responsive. Good choice. 3.2 better for payload and towing.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, colinneil said:

You just cannot beat Isuzu, we sold a Highlander at 9 years old to B.I.L. he still drives /abuses it every day, goes from his gate to road junction about 130 mtrs screaming in first gear.

Yet it has never missed a beat in 13 years.

Bought a Dmax just over 4 years ago, only thing done to it, new battery 3 months ago, we are thinking about another new 1, not even considering looking at any other make, it will be a Dmax.

Check out new bt50 is a dmax 

On 3/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Yellowtail said:

Not sure about safety, I think they all have airbags, but you're better off not hitting anything.

Of all the things we do in life, driving is one of the most dangerous to life and limb. Safety is worth discussing, but normally overlooked, especially here.

I prefer the low pick up, they are more economical and handle better, which is a safety feature. I'm not sure why they raised pick ups have become so popular. They have more disadvantages than advantages.

This is the Hilux failing the moose test, apparently they've fixed the problem, but I don't think that includes models in Thailand.

The Isuzu 1.9 is a pretty new (3 yr?) engine, but all the engines seem to be getting smaller. 

You really should go to the Motor Show, look at them all, sit in them all, pick one you like.

Don't torment yourself, there all good.  I'd rather drive a good car L like than a great car I don't like. 

The engines are definitely getting smaller, but they are still getting decent power. The 1.9 is claimed to be 150hp, the 4 door with this engine seems good value at B686k. A four door with the 3.0 lt is an extra B300k.

I think it's worthwhile doing lots of research, besides the cost, I'll be spending a fair amount of time on the road. Most likely I'll go to the car show tomorrow. Today I looked at the Nissan and the D-Max.

The D-Max Mega Cab low version in 3.0 Turbo Intercooler is B628k, it doesn't have any bells or whistles and looks very basic. Allegedly 190hp.

The Nissan with the 2.5 Turbo Intercooler is B608,000 and claims 163hp. They are throwing in free mag wheels, which makes it look quite nice.

The best value is normally with the cheaper versions. Features like parking sensors, mag wheels, fancy lights can be had after marker for much less. You pay a lot for the bells and whistles. The main differences are engine, seating and 4WD.

When buying the car they will offer a heap of 'extras', again these are all cheap. A friend turned  them down and asked for leather seats, the dealer agreed. I'll probably give that a try.

15 hours ago, Smithson said:

Of all the things we do in life, driving is one of the most dangerous to life and limb. Safety is worth discussing, but normally overlooked, especially here.

I prefer the low pick up, they are more economical and handle better, which is a safety feature. I'm not sure why they raised pick ups have become so popular. They have more disadvantages than advantages.

This is the Hilux failing the moose test, apparently they've fixed the problem, but I don't think that includes models in Thailand.

The engines are definitely getting smaller, but they are still getting decent power. The 1.9 is claimed to be 150hp, the 4 door with this engine seems good value at B686k. A four door with the 3.0 lt is an extra B300k.

I think it's worthwhile doing lots of research, besides the cost, I'll be spending a fair amount of time on the road. Most likely I'll go to the car show tomorrow. Today I looked at the Nissan and the D-Max.

The D-Max Mega Cab low version in 3.0 Turbo Intercooler is B628k, it doesn't have any bells or whistles and looks very basic. Allegedly 190hp.

The Nissan with the 2.5 Turbo Intercooler is B608,000 and claims 163hp. They are throwing in free mag wheels, which makes it look quite nice.

The best value is normally with the cheaper versions. Features like parking sensors, mag wheels, fancy lights can be had after marker for much less. You pay a lot for the bells and whistles. The main differences are engine, seating and 4WD.

When buying the car they will offer a heap of 'extras', again these are all cheap. A friend turned  them down and asked for leather seats, the dealer agreed. I'll probably give that a try.

I had a three liter D-Max before I got the 2.8 liter Fortuner, and I do not think the Fortuner has noticeably more power. I have the top-model Highlander, and was expecting a bit more from the Fortuner but was a little disappointed. 

I think you can test drive most all of them at the show.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I had a three liter D-Max before I got the 2.8 liter Fortuner, and I do not think the Fortuner has noticeably more power. I have the top-model Highlander, and was expecting a bit more from the Fortuner but was a little disappointed. 

I think you can test drive most all of them at the show.

Is the Fortunes supposed to be more powerful?

Hopefully I can test drive at the show. Do ppl think the car show will have really good deals or is it better to shop around at dealers?

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Is the Fortunes supposed to be more powerful?

Hopefully I can test drive at the show. Do ppl think the car show will have really good deals or is it better to shop around at dealers?

I'm not sure if the 'tuna is supposed to be more powerful or not, but the way everyone talks smack about Isuzu I was expecting to more impressed with a brand new Fortuner after driving the Highlander for three years. The Fortuner is fine, but it was no game-changer. Better looking, a little quieter, handled a little better, the Isuzu was a little more comfortable and the ergonomics were (IMO) a little better. Power was about the same and I think the Isuzu mileage was a little better on the highway. And the Fortuner was about 700-800K more than the Highlander.

I think you can get as good or better a deal at the show than you can get anywhere. Historically, shopping around for the identical model at different dealers was a waste of time, but some people have reported with covid has come a little leeway.

You can make a deal at the show and I think they'll take as little as 5k to lock it in. 

1 week ago, I purchased a 2020 Toyota Revo Rocco 2.4 2x4 automatic with 58 kilometers on the odometer for 870,000 baht including 7% vat from a Toyota Sure dealer. It had sat in a showroom for a year. Perfect condition. Dealer added ceramic window tinting. List price 1,079,000. Toyota dealers with leftover prior year stock move the vehicles to a Toyota Sure dealer.

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6375black.jpg

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

1 week ago, I purchased a 2020 Toyota Revo Rocco 2.4 2x4 automatic with 58 kilometers on the odometer for 870,000 baht including 7% vat from a Toyota Sure dealer. It had sat in a showroom for a year. Perfect condition. Dealer added ceramic window tinting. List price 1,079,000. Toyota dealers with leftover prior year stock move the vehicles to a Toyota Sure dealer.

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6375black.jpg

Nice! 

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The 2.3 Litre engine is twin Turbo

2.3-L TWIN TURBO DIESEL ENGINE DIRECT INJECTIONS

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/navara-double-cab/performance.html

Thanks, I watched a Thai review and am sure he said non Turbo. Sometimes it gets confusing. Is there are regular Turbo and Twin turbo intercooler version, which is considerably more powerful?

I would prefer a sedan, but for value you can't beat the pick ups. A sedan is only worthwhile if almost all your driving is in congested areas.

A sedan is only worthwhile if almost all your driving is in congested areas.

And if you enjoy a smooth, compliant ride as opposed to a bouncy, leaf-sprung work vehicle - Lipstick on a Pig type of thing

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6375black.jpg

List price for this 'old' model was ฿995,000. Dealers were able to discount at least 75k off this price and throw in all sorts of goodies incl. A1 insurance towards the end of 2020. Totally different ride from the 'new' Rocco!

Still a good deal though!  ????

• Thanks 1

Today I went to the car show and put 5k down on a Dmax Space cab 3.0lt

Listed price was B628k. They took 10k off and threw in a few extras. Instead of the liner I got leather seats.

There's first class insurance, plus 160,000km or 5 year warranty. I was in hurry and keen on this model. If I'd pushed a bit more I might have got a slightly better deal.

Edited by Smithson
  • Like 2

Listed price was B628k. They took 10k off and threw in a few extras. Instead of the liner I got leather seats.

There's first class insurance, plus 160,000km or 5 year warranty. I was in hurry and keen on this model. If I'd pushed a bit more I might have got a slightly better deal.

Total sales of Pick-up Trucks from January to February 2021 are   52,182 units

1st Place Isuzu D-max : 26,313 units (50.3% market share)

2nd, Toyota Hilux Revo : 16,361 units

3rd, Ford Ranger: 4,081 units

4th place Mitsubishi Triton : 3,070 units

No. 5 Nissan Navara : 1,111 units

Isuzu is well known for not offering huge discounts as you can see from above they have the largest share of the pickup market without offering huge  incentives

at the moment they are selling more than the total sales of the number 2,3,4,5 brands

Some Brands do offer huge discounts if you the instalments route but it is a case of giving you a large discount in one hand and taking it back with high interest in the other hand

https://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-pick-up-feb-2021/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

Color?

I've had four of them and they were all good. No doubt there'll be some haters coming by to tell you what a fool you are...

Did you get a test drive? Isuzu parts and service are inexpensive, good and everywhere. 

Now do yourself a favor and quit shopping!!

Edited by Yellowtail

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Color?

Did you get a test drive? Isuzu parts and service are inexpensive, good and everywhere. 

I got the white, seems very popular. I like the look of the Dmax, the other one I was considered was a Triton, which doesn't look nearly as nice.

Thanks for posting the sales figures, makes me feel I made the right choice. The Dmax seems to come in the most variants. 

I had a test drive, but it was the top of the range - 4 door, 4wd and auto. So really just checking power and braking, I was happy with both. The salesmen was keen to tell me the two door was lighter and faster. Let's see.

Not sure there will be any haters. Isuzu has a all round good name, especially for reliability.

Thanks for all the posters here and the useful information.

Edited by Smithson
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:37 PM, Smithson said:

Contrary to what I was told and have typed here, the Navarra is not a Twin Turbo, still decent power though.

Im pretty sure the new one is twin turbo. Check the nissan website. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Im pretty sure the new one is twin turbo. Check the nissan website. 

I think the link said both were available depending on what model you bought, The twin-turbo is the up-level, more powerful engine.

Did you guys look at the link?

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the link said both were available depending on what model you bought, The twin-turbo is the up-level, more powerful engine.

Did you guys look at the link?

I just looked now. There's a 2.3 VGS turbo with 163hp. Then there's the 2.3 twin turbo that produces 190hp and 459 torque, exactly the same as the 3lt twin turbo Dmax.

1 minute ago, Smithson said:

I just looked now. There's a 2.3 VGS turbo with 163hp. Then there's the 2.3 twin turbo that produces 190hp and 459 torque, exactly the same as the 3lt twin turbo Dmax.

What's the RPM of each for that torque?

The sweet-spot mileage-wise for the last 3L Isuzu I had was  120km/hour plus...