Bangkok to Khon Kaen....bus, train or plane

rak sa_ngop

I am planning to go to KK in a week or so and just looking at my options. I do not have a car so its a choice between bus, train or plane.

Travelling by air does not seem a problem from accounts on-line except for the Mor-Chana app requirements.

Looking at bus companies, some state only Thai nationals (Budsarakam Tour) can travel. Also one on-line report from last week states Nakonchaiair only allows Thais.

Trains seem to be running OK but I cant find if foreigners are now allowed to travel.

Hopefully somebody can confirm which bus or train options are now open to farangs.

There is always the taxi (hired car) option which might allow some sightseeing on the trip and could help someone to make ends meet in these times (if you can afford).  Believe van travel is open to all if others are an issue.

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Travelling by air does not seem a problem

Normally I would go by air.

Which airport do you prefer?

ThaiSmile from Suvarnabhumi currently does ONE(!) flight per day with times varying by day of week.

ThaiVietJet also seems to operate one flight per day.

From Don Mueang seems that there is one flight per day by Lion air and one flight by AirAsia.

Never seen such low frequency (even through 2020).

Edited by KhunBENQ

25 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Still nobody can confirm which bus or trains are allowing foreigners to travel now.

Strange way of trying to get visitors back to Thailand!

I travelled Nakhonchaiair from KhonKaen to Bangkok and return in December with no problems. I would contact them and find out if you can travel because many of the onsite pages are old and do not mean a thing now as things have changed.

23 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I travelled Nakhonchaiair from KhonKaen to Bangkok and return in December with no problems. I would contact them and find out if you can travel because many of the onsite pages are old and do not mean a thing now as things have changed.

Unfortunately I have read one report of somebody being refused boarding LAST WEEK by Nakhonchaiair.

December was a 'different kettle of fish'.

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is always the taxi (hired car) option which might allow some sightseeing on the trip and could help someone to make ends meet in these times (if you can afford).  Believe van travel is open to all if others are an issue.

There is nothing to see on the way to KK it’s Boring I go monthly 

8 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

There is nothing to see on the way to KK it’s Boring I go monthly 

But that may be why it is boring?  Recall a huge modern temple area well worth a visit on last return from Ban Phai and often stopped at Chok Chai Farm for eats and the drive along Lamthklong (and the food) was nice.  But it has been a few years since last trip so maybe just fond memories.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But that may be why it is boring?  Recall a huge modern temple area well worth a visit on last return from Ban Phai and often stopped at Chok Chai Farm for eats and the drive along Lamthklong (and the food) was nice.  But it has been a few years since last trip so maybe just fond memories.  

Nothing to see after Korat and to Udon and Nong Khai is a bore , also KK is a Boring place , Udon is more interesting and fun

Does anybody know whether farang are allowed on trains nowadays? 

Train 3rd class, open windows,  is the safest way to travel.

I wouldn't want to sit in a bus or plane these days (closed space, crowded, no social distancing).

Edited by Kiujunn

On 2/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Surely the flight is just much much quicker and much easier... 

Only reason to drive 5 hrs (from BKK) is if you have your own car which you want up there or are carrying a load of stuff. 

and to avoid contact contagion with pockets of the pox showing up consistently..

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ireland32 said:

Nothing to see after Korat and to Udon and Nong Khai is a bore , also KK is a Boring place , Udon is more interesting and fun

Khon Kaen is as boring or as interesting as Udon Thani.

It all depends on what you want.

Udon is more westernised if you are looking for that, Khon Kaen is more Isan.