Do you use a Distance Device?

Shot_Scope_PRO_L146.jpg

The PGA Tour have recently agreed to allow these distance measuring devices to be used during their tournaments.

For us amateurs they have been around for some time.

However not all of us can afford to own one, so those that do are at an advantage. 

Do you think that if one player has a device, then everyone in that fourball during a competition, should be entitled to use it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

haha, no amateur needs a rangefinder... what does it help when you know it is exactly 112 yards and you shoot your wedge between 80 and  120 yards and mostly far right or far left. a joke and slo

Amateurs come in all shapes, sizes.......and abilities. I know mid teen handicappers who don't do what you suggest.  Many, and I mean many, amateurs already use a rangefinder/gps so this ruling c

Oh when i read the title i thought it was on about the 2m distance for covid and thought there must be some device out didnt realise it was about golf.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

However not all of us can afford to own one, so those that do are at an advantage. 

It's like saying you don't wan't to spend the money on lessons/new clubs etc. Like any other spending it is up to the individual to decide what they want to spend their money on.

Since you can buy rangefinders or gps watches for less than  $200 I think that is a nonsense. Yes you can spend a lot more but same on clubs - PXG vs nearly any other brand for example.

6 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Do you think that if one player has a device, then everyone in that fourball during a competition, should be entitled to use it?

Why? As mentioned (and by the previous poster) they are not that expensive.

It is almost like the OP has been written to "provoke" a debate.....

More relevant perhaps would be how many people have either (rangefinder/gps) and how much benefit they believe it is to their game.......... 

15 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Not for the reason given but perhaps, as most instruments require calibration to be called accurate, one instrument would elimate that requirement as it would be common to all four.

3 minutes ago, jensmann said:

haha, no amateur needs a rangefinder...

what does it help when you know it is exactly 112 yards and you shoot your wedge between 80 and  120 yards and mostly far right or far left. a joke and slows down the game...

Amateurs come in all shapes, sizes.......and abilities. I know mid teen handicappers who don't do what you suggest. 

Many, and I mean many, amateurs already use a rangefinder/gps so this ruling changes nothing for them.

Perhaps you should look at finding new playing partners - or are you talking about yourself........ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not ashamed to say i am thoroughly dependent on my laser and would n,t play without it. Having said that if i knew All yardage markers were to the front of the green and was given a Pin sheet....i could play without it,but they are not are they...some are to the front some to the middle some in metres some in yards,also makes the game quicker imho.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are cheap now, 1,500 baht for a laser on Aliexpress. The one I have is as good as my Bushnell, which was around 10,000 baht equiv

What's the good in that, no matter the Price . 

One still has to be able to Hit the Ball so that it will end up in the right place.

One would have to be a  Top Pro to Hit the ball exactly with the Required Force and at the right place time and time again to make that Range finder to be any help.

No.. they shouldn’t be entitled to using it.. if it’s a friendly round and someone asked to use it.. not a problem. 

I’ve only been asked to borrow mine when the distance was really

in doubt.. like incorrectly  placed yard markers ... 

For our nay sayers it’s a useful tool no matter how good or how not so good you are..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, digger70 said:

What's the good in that, no matter the Price . 

One still has to be able to Hit the Ball so that it will end up in the right place.

One would have to be a  Top Pro to Hit the ball exactly with the Required Force and at the right place time and time again to make that Range finder to be any help.

Presumably you don't play golf

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Shot_Scope_PRO_L146.jpg

The PGA Tour have recently agreed to allow these distance measuring devices to be used during their tournaments.

For us amateurs they have been around for some time.

Who writes this nonsense?

Please tell me where in the Rules of Golf a player cannot give the distance to a fellow competitor? 

Hint:  It is factual information and so perfectly allowable.

PH