Do you use a Distance Device?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Shot_Scope_PRO_L146.jpg

The PGA Tour have recently agreed to allow these distance measuring devices to be used during their tournaments.

For us amateurs they have been around for some time.

However not all of us can afford to own one, so those that do are at an advantage. 

Do you think that if one player has a device, then everyone in that fourball during a competition, should be entitled to use it?

1 minute ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

However not all of us can afford to own one, so those that do are at an advantage. 

It's like saying you don't wan't to spend the money on lessons/new clubs etc. Like any other spending it is up to the individual to decide what they want to spend their money on.

Since you can buy rangefinders or gps watches for less than  $200 I think that is a nonsense. Yes you can spend a lot more but same on clubs - PXG vs nearly any other brand for example.

6 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Do you think that if one player has a device, then everyone in that fourball during a competition, should be entitled to use it?

Why? As mentioned (and by the previous poster) they are not that expensive.

It is almost like the OP has been written to "provoke" a debate.....

More relevant perhaps would be how many people have either (rangefinder/gps) and how much benefit they believe it is to their game.......... 

15 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Not for the reason given but perhaps, as most instruments require calibration to be called accurate, one instrument would elimate that requirement as it would be common to all four.

3 minutes ago, jensmann said:

haha, no amateur needs a rangefinder...

what does it help when you know it is exactly 112 yards and you shoot your wedge between 80 and  120 yards and mostly far right or far left. a joke and slows down the game...

Amateurs come in all shapes, sizes.......and abilities. I know mid teen handicappers who don't do what you suggest. 

Many, and I mean many, amateurs already use a rangefinder/gps so this ruling changes nothing for them.

Perhaps you should look at finding new playing partners - or are you talking about yourself........ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not ashamed to say i am thoroughly dependent on my laser and would n,t play without it. Having said that if i knew All yardage markers were to the front of the green and was given a Pin sheet....i could play without it,but they are not are they...some are to the front some to the middle some in metres some in yards,also makes the game quicker imho.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are cheap now, 1,500 baht for a laser on Aliexpress. The one I have is as good as my Bushnell, which was around 10,000 baht equiv

What's the good in that, no matter the Price . 

One still has to be able to Hit the Ball so that it will end up in the right place.

One would have to be a  Top Pro to Hit the ball exactly with the Required Force and at the right place time and time again to make that Range finder to be any help.

No.. they shouldn’t be entitled to using it.. if it’s a friendly round and someone asked to use it.. not a problem. 

I’ve only been asked to borrow mine when the distance was really

in doubt.. like incorrectly  placed yard markers ... 

For our nay sayers it’s a useful tool no matter how good or how not so good you are..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

One still has to be able to Hit the Ball so that it will end up in the right place.

One would have to be a  Top Pro to Hit the ball exactly with the Required Force and at the right place time and time again to make that Range finder to be any help.

Presumably you don't play golf

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Shot_Scope_PRO_L146.jpg

The PGA Tour have recently agreed to allow these distance measuring devices to be used during their tournaments.

Who writes this nonsense?

Please tell me where in the Rules of Golf a player cannot give the distance to a fellow competitor? 

Hint:  It is factual information and so perfectly allowable.

PH

8 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Please tell me where in the Rules of Golf a player cannot give the distance to a fellow competitor? 

PH

You are correct, see below:

Rule 8-1 states that “a player must not give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner or ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies”. This sounds pretty comprehensive, but if you’re playing a monthly medal with your mates, does that mean you’re limited to talking about the football results and Game of Thrones? Not quite. Our breakdown of what you can and can’t discuss will enable you all to score your best, without breaking any rules…

Can I ask for a yardage?

The distance between two objects is considered to be a matter of public information, not advice, and can therefore be exchanged without restriction. You can ask your mate how far it is from the tee to that ominous looking fairway bunker, for instance, or even how far it is from your ball to the green. This also enables you to share a distance measuring device, provided they are permitted in the competition. 

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

you are right and you said it more professional than i did!

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Eh? 

Many golfers have a  yardage they hit the ball with each club and be - usually - within ten yards of that.  To know that your target is (say) 100 yards away, and know you hit your wedge 100 yards means that you will usually be within 10 yards of your target.  If you guess that the distance is actually 120 yards, then only very occasionally will you be abywhere near your target.

PH

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to wipe their balls with your towel? Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to grab tees from your bag? Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to use your new driver? Should I go on or is my point sinking in?

29 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to wipe their balls with your towel? Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to grab tees from your bag? Do you think that everyone in your fourball should be entitled to use your new driver? Should I go on or is my point sinking in?

1.  Why not?

2.  Not without asking, and then ony occasioanlly if they have run out

3.  Not without asking and not unless you are content that you cannot then use it again for the rest of the round.

4.  Do you have a point?  Or do you just not know the Rules of Golf?

PH

47 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

1.  Why not?

3.  Not without asking and not unless you are content that you cannot then use it again for the rest of the round.

PH

1 - because in this covid era, or even before, I would not want to use a towel that other people had wiped their balls on...... :whistling:

4 - yes he is making the point that irrespective of the rules most would see it as "taking the pish........"

Whether he is aware of the Rules of Golf I have no idea and in the context intended pretty irrelevant :thumbsup:

On 2/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, Phulublub said:

PH

Ah, but if he tells a porky it is not factual is it. Therefore it is helping another player, what is the penalty for giving advice 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:13 PM, PFMills said:

Ah, but if he tells a porky it is not factual is it. Therefore it is helping another player, what is the penalty for giving advice 

knock yourself out........

https://golfrulesguru.com/2020/06/06/misunderstood-rules-2-giving-or-receiving-advice/

see end of this article -

https://www.liveabout.com/advice-and-golf-rules-1561364

I played golf for years and never used a rangefinder.  Now, I use it religiously.  It does help.  Not just to give you confidence in the distance, but to show you how far your ball is actually going. 

Having said that, I find it annoying when a guy in the group is constantly asking me for the yardage or to borrow my rangefinder.  Maybe occasionally, but not every round, nearly every shot.  Get your own already!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 3:49 PM, Phulublub said:

1.  Why not?

PH

so. just a lame shot since you had nothing intelligent to say? 

Rangefinders are a must for any A or B grade player that wants to improve.

All top juniors use them. But I saw one of my 14 year old students use it in a greenside bunker. Told her that if i ever see her use it for a 20m shot again I will burn it.

I had to go to the IMG junior world and US junior a couple of years ago. Every player uses a rangefinder. They certainly speed up play, instead of finding a marker and pacing it out.

Personally i cant use them, my hands shake too much. 

Range finders are a must in Thailand. I can't tell you the amount of times I have corrected a caddies guess of distance by anything from 10 to 30 yards!

I also have no problem in letting my opponents have a distance if they don't have a range finder. I'm never in that serious a game to make it a 'thing'.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Thaivisa Golf said:

Shot_Scope_PRO_L146.jpg

this has to be joke, right?

I bought my rangefinder for 800 baht some 6 years ago, it's still working but not looking as crisp anymore.

and no. it's a personal piece of equipment, not for share, same as clubs. "oops it fell" ... well done. no, no sharing.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy a rangefinder, go for shooting / hunting gear. basic shooting rangefinders cost 800-1000 baht and are ok for golf, but as soon  as you mention golf, the price goes up to 3000 baht for a similar item, lol.

some are available on Lazada for 1500 baht.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1