Do you use a Distance Device?

ASEAN NOW Golf

On 2/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, jensmann said:

a friend of mine hits the device given distance once in a 100, then declares the range finder very helpful...

understand???

well, yes. but rangefinders are quite helpful for players that consistently hit their club distance. I'd say it's a great help for anyone playing under 18 handicap especially on courses that one doesn't know too well.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

I used a range finder for about 8-10 years and I thought I was better, one day the battery went and I didn’t have a replacement battery, after 4-5 rounds WITHOUT using it, I released I was thinking more about the conditions rather than focusing on the number.

So long story short I now play better WITHOUT a Range finder.

I tell players who still use one and they look at me and I can tell they think I’m totally NUTS, if you’ve played the same course over 100 times you don’t need to know the distance you already know the course, for a new course perhaps one would help, so it might been handy to have one, it depends on how serious you are about the game, I’m a 11-8 HC 51 years old.

Edited by bolt

8 hours ago, bolt said:

I used a range finder for about 8-10 years and I thought I was better, one day the battery went and I didn’t have a replacement battery, after 4-5 rounds WITHOUT using it, I released I was thinking more about the conditions rather than focusing on the number.

I tell players who still use one and they look at me and I can tell they think I’m totally NUTS, if you’ve played the same course over 100 times you don’t need to know the distance you already know the course, for a new course perhaps one would help, so it might been handy to have one, it depends on how serious you are about the game, I’m a 11-8 HC 51 years old.

Thats pretty much correct. I dont let my students use it until they have their distances known on the range. I use a mevo+. Then we do course lessons.

what i found was that the students will know distance but never know how to consider the lie and wind etc. they just think distance is it.

also need to tell them that if they hit 150 must allow for run etc. also need distance to hit over greenside bunker and things. Some just think its to the pin, thats wrong.

i prefer younger players to learn without it, use feel to start with.

You refer to home course knowledge, i agree. But when playing different course every week its needed.

9 hours ago, tgw said:

have you tried using a club to stabilize ?

for example, kneel and use a sandwedge as you would a use monopod

Never thought of that, good idea. Im near 60, play only once a year now. I have a bad back so cant do it like i used to. Im happy to pass things to my students.

Was pretty happy my student got 4th in img junior world then 4th in US junior. Got beaten in matchplay round on 21st hole.

Another student went to olympics in rio. All my students beat me now so i basically give up. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bolt said:

well, yes, if you know the course very well, you don't need a rangefinder.

that's to be expected.

14 hours ago, Sujo said:

Thats pretty much correct. I dont let my students use it until they have their distances known on the range. I use a mevo+. Then we do course lessons.

what i found was that the students will know distance but never know how to consider the lie and wind etc. they just think distance is it.

also need to tell them that if they hit 150 must allow for run etc. also need distance to hit over greenside bunker and things. Some just think its to the pin, thats wrong.

i prefer younger players to learn without it, use feel to start with.

You refer to home course knowledge, i agree. But when playing different course every week its needed.

yes, the lie, slope, elevation difference... but also the quality of the stance. for example, if you have unstable footing and therefore can't rotate as much, your swing will lose power. standing in sand equates to about 1 club for me, very soft sand about 2 clubs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Do I use a distance device, absolutely, but more a distance strategy; I stay away from the golf course, about 10 km to be precise. 

Come on, some have nice bars. You can sit and have a nice lunch and beers and watch the players come in drenched in sweat and paying losing bets. ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tgw said:

yes, the lie, slope, elevation difference... but also the quality of the stance. for example, if you have unstable footing and therefore can't rotate as much, your swing will lose power. standing in sand equates to about 1 club for me, very soft sand about 2 clubs.

True that. Difference between being good on the range and learning to actually play.

I was amazed that i got a message from a girl who has a full golf scholarship at a big 10 US college who asked Why her distance increases with a draw.

Great player, but dumb as a box of rocks. That can be a good thing though, she sure never thinks technical on the course. Aim and hit. ????

10 hours ago, Sujo said:

Come on, some have nice bars. You can sit and have a nice lunch and beers and watch the players come in drenched in sweat and paying losing bets. ????

i do play very occasionally, but it is by far the most exasperating game imaginable, probably because I'm no good at it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just use a gps app on my phone.  It’s free, and works well in Thailand.  Here’s a pic from their website -  it’s a really nice interface and always better than my caddie ???? (the app is called Birdie Apps Golf GPS)

1EEE6B7D-CBB1-4372-884B-E0E04EF14863.jpeg