Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

webfact

Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leader in the field of gynaecology and obstetrics in Bangkok has said that an alarming drop in the birth rate has to be addressed now.

With women having babies later in life or not at all there are big problems associated with an ageing population and lack of people in the workforce. 

A big rise in people giving birth to children with Down syndrome is also happening. 

Dr Kamthorn Phreuksananon of the Royal Thai College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists said that the birth rate had fallen below 600,000 newborns. 

The Total Fertility Rates - TFR - are now at 1.51 persons. 

The WHO and World Bank say that the figure needs to be at least 2.1 to avoid problems associated with ageing populations and lack of manpower in the workforce. 

Japan has experienced such problems, he said, after the birthrate there fell to 1.6. Now Thailand is even worse. 

The country used to have a birthrate of 5.1 but it has steadily decreased over the years.

Women are having babies later or not at all and now the situation is getting critical with little action. He warned that it would be at 1.3 in ten years if nothing is done. 

The number of children being born with Down syndrome is getting worse as a consequence.

Women under 35 have a 1 in 800 chance of giving birth to a baby with Downs syndrome. For over 35 it is 1 in 350. For over 40s it rises to 1 in a 100.

Daily News said that according to sources plans are afoot to increase allowances for people seeking fertility treatment as a means of boosting the birthrate among those who are having difficulty conceiving.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, realfunster said:

It seems odd that as a middle-income developing country, Thailand has hit this issue, typically faced by developed countries, so early.

Not odd at all, whenever you give women a free choice, they choose not to breed with us.

Abortion + contraception = racial suicide.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

Normal transition under way from 3rd world to struggling 2nd. The Western world made this transition in the 50s & 60s, as modern contraception became available & acceptable.

Nothing surprising here. Modernity slowly edging in, even to Thailand. And even here amongst the peasants! The economic effect is to assist the transition from 5 men & a dog to 1 man + machine. Or even a woman & a machine!

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I feel the problem is less one of fertility and more one about finance. Raising kids is not cheap and many Thais have worked out that none, one or two is better for them than half a dozen hungry mouths to feed.

That's just modernity speaking. To raise kids you need X,Y and Z products and services, which is gonna cost a lot of money so you better hope you get a raise. Thais are on the same dead end path as the West now. It'll be curious how this all ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would life be empty without having Children.  Some people relish the idea of a kid free environment.

On the relatively few occasions I have to think about children ( usually when seeing some young miscreants causing a problem ) I thank the deity that I managed to avoid having any.

When I was young I assumed I would as that was what normally happened when one got married ( no oral contraceptives back then ), but I managed to avoid marriage till decades later, and nice girls didn't, as they didn't want to get pregnant. I did live with a woman that already had kids and they certainly put me off any desire to have some of my own.

• Like 2

From Wikipedia 

Global human population growth amounts to around 83 million annually, or 1.1% per year. The global population has grown from 1 billion in 1800 to 7.8 billion in 2020. It is expected to keep growing, and estimates have put the total population at 8.6 billion by mid-2030, 9.8 billion by mid-2050 and 11.2 billion by 2100.

• Like 2