Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

webfact

@soalbundy

I appreciate your reply. I don't want to leave you with the impression that everything is doom and gloom in my village. I recognize some of the elements of village life you talked about, especially the sense of belonging that I think everyone in a small village, even foreigners if they live there long enough, enjoys. There are many cheerful, playful and engaging children where I live as well.

I agree with your view that birth parents aren't the be all to end all. Of course some birth parents are terrible and just about anybody else would be preferable to them. But substitute parenting definitely has its limitations. Granny can barely see. Granny can barely walk. Granny likes her lao khao and rolling tobacco, and isn't much for cooking. I think you get what I'm talking about.

Home visits from teachers? That one really surprised me. Unheard of where I live, and I've taught in multiple schools in my area. Not even my step-daughter's private school did that. Parent orientation at the beginning of the school year, that was it. But if the teachers in your area are doing that, that's wonderful.

When I said junk food, I wasn't just talking about fast food. It's easy to see what kids are eating just by looking at the litter alongside the roads in town: empty children-sized artificially flavored fruit drink boxes, dried shrimp strip, corn doodle, chip, cookie, and candy wrappers, etc. Or by walking around the neighborhood at dinner time to smell what's cooking, or looking at what people are bringing home from the market, or just by looking at complexions and whether they look healthy or not. Just one note about poverty levels: if you live in Isaan, there has to be some farmers without access to ground water that are barely scrapping by.

But I am genuinely happy for you that you've been able to establish a warm home environment and sense of community where you live.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Can you imagine, only countries in Africa.

You wish they had the lowest population growth rate.

For as much as people here in the thread love to point to things like low education rate, low incomes, lack of opportunity...it’s all nothing but virtue signaling.  The other countries that share low birth rates are ones where education levels are high, per capita income is high, etc etc etc.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/birth-rate-by-country

A55F7351-6C25-4CF1-AA5A-216ACF2057F3.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Airalee said:

For as much as people here in the thread love to point to things like low education rate, low incomes, lack of opportunity...it’s all nothing but virtue signaling.  The other countries that share low birth rates are ones where education levels are high, per capita income is high, etc etc etc.

Every country where women have a choice has a reducing population.

Usually resulting in the leaders of the depopulated country allowing immigration from cultures where the women have no choice.

Thailand has just legalised abortion up to 12 weeks, so their population will now be falling faster than ever.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Every country where women have a choice has a reducing population.

Usually resulting in the leaders of the depopulated country allowing immigration from cultures where the women have no choice.

From my time spent on dating websites both here and back in the US, there seems to be a plethora of childless women (age 35-45) who now want to change their choice and desperately want children.  And then, one can read article after article in various publications where women lament the fact there are no good men left.

But it’s not PC to discuss such issues.

• Like 1

Global population has been discussed for 30 or more years, in depth by many people.  This is the outcome.  Your tax base erodes as the population falls.  

Look at Japan, they will be in a horrible state in 50 years if they continue.  But then so will every country that doesn't import migrant workers.  

Who's going to catch your fish, clean the streets or make lousy tour buses with gigantic speakers that go around and disco lights annoying everyone on the planet.  

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Global population has been discussed for 30 or more years, in depth by many people.  This is the outcome.  Your tax base erodes as the population falls.  

Look at Japan, they will be in a horrible state in 50 years if they continue.  But then so will every country that doesn't import migrant workers.  

Who's going to catch your fish, clean the streets or make lousy tour buses with gigantic speakers that go around and disco lights annoying everyone on the planet.  

or who will pay your pensions, keep up the donations and payments to the public/private health insurance, police your streets, man the fire engines, buy the products from the robot manned production lines, in other words who is going to keep the whole system running if most couples refuse to have children.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Why would life be empty without having Children.  Some people relish the idea of a kid free environment.

One of the many disorders of modern life. 

Without my kids I would probably join the mob of geezers who get to the pub at 11am to wake up with their first beer of the day. My environment is pub free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like migrant workers will be in demand for higher paying jobs.  Looking like India, Japan, and S. Korea will also need to supply workers into the IT infrastructure as well as engineer's and such from Europe, the west and other countries.  But then this only my opinion, who knows maybe Covid times will produce a Baby boom here in Thailand.  Saw many pregnant Thai ladies when I visited the Hospital the other day.

Nearly all the girls I ever talked to in a bar had a baby

with the grandma,

I used to play palm reading game, you have baby in Esan? yes how you know, your husband no good gamble to much, drink to much, have mia noi to much, he run away give you no money... how you know?

Then they would all line to have their palms read.

Thailand does  have a problem with slave labour as young Thais don't want to be guma gones (common laborer)

Now that the bar girls are unemployed there should be plenty of laborers around.

But mind you the first to get on the shovel would be a Thai girl they are good workers.

I

On 2/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Why would life be empty without having Children.  Some people relish the idea of a kid free environment.

think there is a birth rate problem, but there is a slave labour problem, even now with Covid Thais will not lower themselves to be Gumagones, even if bar girls' future future looks bleak.

1 minute ago, kiwikeith said:

Nearly all the girls I ever talked to in a bar had a baby

with the grandma,

I used to play palm reading game, you have baby in Esan? yes how you know, your husband no good gamble to much, drink to much, have mia noi to much, he run away give you no money... how you know?

Then they would all line to have their palms read.

Thailand does  have a problem with slave labour as young Thais don't want to be guma gones (common laborer)

Now that the bar girls are unemployed there should be plenty of laborers around.

But mind you the first to get on the shovel would be a Thai girl they are good workers.

Ig the Thai government banned Burmese workers from entry now, there should be plenty of beautiful maids available and there should be no shortage of Thai labour at present  with the covid situation

Just now, elgenon said:

When you have money not as much need for kids. When you are poor you need them to work and care for you in your old age.

Yes kids are just pension funds and insurance policies in Thailand, for most parents

years ago they were free child labor on the family farms as well.

On 2/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

Prople prefer to spend their money on iPhones, cars, condos and shopping binges at Central. Only to wake up in their late 40s with a completely empty life. 

I am a late developer then, I was in my late 60s. And it was only partially empty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, PatOngo said:

In a country as small as Thailand and with a population of approx 68 million I cant see the problem, even why they need to import foreign labor from neighboring countries. There is obviously a problem with the local population and their work ethic!

Don't forget the carnage on Thai roads due to inept goverance by the powers that be who have allowed this carnage to escalate steadily to reach the figures they are today, shame on you.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:09 PM, webfact said:

Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leader in the field of gynaecology and obstetrics in Bangkok has said that an alarming drop in the birth rate has to be addressed now.

With women having babies later in life or not at all there are big problems associated with an ageing population and lack of people in the workforce. 

A big rise in people giving birth to children with Down syndrome is also happening. 

Dr Kamthorn Phreuksananon of the Royal Thai College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists said that the birth rate had fallen below 600,000 newborns. 

The Total Fertility Rates - TFR - are now at 1.51 persons. 

The WHO and World Bank say that the figure needs to be at least 2.1 to avoid problems associated with ageing populations and lack of manpower in the workforce. 

Japan has experienced such problems, he said, after the birthrate there fell to 1.6. Now Thailand is even worse. 

The country used to have a birthrate of 5.1 but it has steadily decreased over the years.

Women are having babies later or not at all and now the situation is getting critical with little action. He warned that it would be at 1.3 in ten years if nothing is done. 

The number of children being born with Down syndrome is getting worse as a consequence.

Women under 35 have a 1 in 800 chance of giving birth to a baby with Downs syndrome. For over 35 it is 1 in 350. For over 40s it rises to 1 in a 100.

Daily News said that according to sources plans are afoot to increase allowances for people seeking fertility treatment as a means of boosting the birthrate among those who are having difficulty conceiving.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

And USA (according to the policies of DJT), China and Japan; Also will affect any other countries with overly restrictive immigration policies. Welcome to the post-birth control pill third of the 20th century.  Population planning policies at last?

On 2/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, Pilotman said:

I could not contemplate being without mine. They may all be 6,000 miles away, but we are connected emotionally and lovingly in ways that are difficult to explain to anyone without children.  Interestingly, that is not yet shared by those 3 kids of mine for themselves, who have yet to produce a Grandchild. They just need to get a grip, concentrate on the task in hand and try harder! 

I like that Pilotman , On a birthday a week ago We went to a mates for a bit of a do , I took my laptop with me and at 2 pm England and 9 pm here I spoke to my eldest daughter and 3 grand ones. Everyone at the bit of a do shared the moment as all knew my family from pre covid visits.  Even the host shed a tear at the coming together . Hoorah for skype too.

Niece of a girlfriend just made her first contribution to increasing the Thai population yesterday. At just 15 years old, she gave birth to a baby girl. I asked about her "husband". He's 18 years old and his mother will apparently house all three of them in Buriram. In the UK he'd likely be arrested, charged, convicted and jailed for rape.

17 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Niece of a girlfriend just made her first contribution to increasing the Thai population yesterday. At just 15 years old, she gave birth to a baby girl. I asked about her "husband". He's 18 years old and his mother will apparently house all three of them in Buriram. In the UK he'd likely be arrested, charged, convicted and jailed for rape.

Seems to be a common trend in Thailand, and a cousin of my ex-girlfriend here has had five children from three different fathers, none of whom she is with currently, and she looks after none of the children, having "given them away" to other relatives who would care for them......and she started at the age of 16.

The sister of that cousin has also had a child from a man who was already married and who takes no responsibility for the child, and so it goes on.

Not too sure about the statistics as regards the plunging birthrate, but the little sperm seem alive and well as regards anything to do with the girls of this family!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like migrant workers will be in demand for higher paying jobs.  Looking like India, Japan, and S. Korea will also need to supply workers into the IT infrastructure as well as engineer's and such from Europe, the west and other countries.  But then this only my opinion, who knows maybe Covid times will produce a Baby boom here in Thailand.  Saw many pregnant Thai ladies when I visited the Hospital the other day.

Yeah but to also produce baby's with brains, and to raise them to be productive later on, is another problem in Thailand.