Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

With women having babies later in life or not at all there are big problems associated with an ageing population and lack of people in the workforce. 

this is a GOOD thing

with many unemployed people and come on.... waaaaaaaaaaay to many people

I blame pesticides on everything, very polluted air, dirty public water,  companies damaging communities with their toxic waste,  unhealthy overweight people addicted to junk...

did it not ring a bell for some people when MALE frogs were being turned into females DECADES ago ?

this is engineered for population control

what about birth control pill ....  yes, those women have more problems, they pee it out, cannot be filtered out of the community water and men also are affected

better than WARS between nations

accept it

3 hours ago, Forrests Father said:

And the next topic in my overview is: “Thai road carnage: A motorcyclist is killed every 30 minutes in Thailand”

So not only a low birthrate but was is left gets killed...

Indeed.. the youth will die before they succeeded to make a baby..but who cares?? Teach them at school to come on a motorcycle with no helmet.. Give them drivers licenses without education and traffic behaviour... and now complain.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I feel the problem is less one of fertility and more one about finance. Raising kids is not cheap and many Thais have worked out that none, one or two is better for them than half a dozen hungry mouths to feed.

I agree...

While my experience is limited to a very very small pool of females in this age/circumstance range... but of the ones that i do know, many have said the exact same thing about having kids...

Most like/love the idea of children (2 or more) but many said the economics are hard and many said to me that they saw firsthand when they were kids (from households of 2-4 kids) how hard it was for their parents to make the economics work ...  plus many of the women also said that they’d finished university and now would like to work and develop a career based on their degree ... and they also want to have some amount of savings put aside.   what i also heard from many was that that they planned to “raise” their kids alone rather than with the biological father as it wasn’t necessary - many of my female colleagues are from single parent (mom) households. 

• Like 2

One of the great failings of the nationalistic government has to deter immigration to Thailand.  Thailand has, for the time being, higher wages and a better standard of living than its neighbors.  This is a golden time to address the serious demographic cliff the country is about to fall off.  When it does, the stock market will crash, property prices will crash and serious reforms will be needed.  This can be avoided and prosperity guaranteed by enabling immigration of the best, brightest and hardest working in the region, not to mention the vast numbers of Chinese and even westerners who would happily immigrate.  Tragic lost opportunity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am opening a fertility clinic in my house here in Hua Hin.

just need a larger waiting room. 

I admire your plan but have you ever heard this joke?

Where do you get virgin wool?

From very ugly sheep!

You may need a bigger mask not only to cover your nose and mouth but also your eyes!

Brown paper bag over her head?

Forget it!All the brown paper here is used for envelopes.

'birthrate had fallen below 600,000 newborns'

'major cause for concern'

Oh hum.

Birthrate was 760,000 newborns in 2010 and expected to fall below 700,000 during the 20 years.

www.hiso.or.th/hiso/picture/reportHealth2012/eng2012_4.pdf

As t's been Prayut's "government" from mid-2013 to the present, lack of concern AND action has led to a greater than anticipated decline.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leader in the field of gynaecology and obstetrics in Bangkok has said that an alarming drop in the birth rate has to be addressed now.

With women having babies later in life or not at all there are big problems associated with an ageing population and lack of people in the workforce. 

A big rise in people giving birth to children with Down syndrome is also happening. 

Dr Kamthorn Phreuksananon of the Royal Thai College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists said that the birth rate had fallen below 600,000 newborns. 

The Total Fertility Rates - TFR - are now at 1.51 persons. 

The WHO and World Bank say that the figure needs to be at least 2.1 to avoid problems associated with ageing populations and lack of manpower in the workforce. 

Japan has experienced such problems, he said, after the birthrate there fell to 1.6. Now Thailand is even worse. 

The country used to have a birthrate of 5.1 but it has steadily decreased over the years.

Women are having babies later or not at all and now the situation is getting critical with little action. He warned that it would be at 1.3 in ten years if nothing is done. 

The number of children being born with Down syndrome is getting worse as a consequence.

Women under 35 have a 1 in 800 chance of giving birth to a baby with Downs syndrome. For over 35 it is 1 in 350. For over 40s it rises to 1 in a 100.

Daily News said that according to sources plans are afoot to increase allowances for people seeking fertility treatment as a means of boosting the birthrate among those who are having difficulty conceiving.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

It's connected to too many reasons
1. Economic conditions have made people tense and in a atmosphere where people are surviving to make ends meet they cannot think of making babies.
2. There is no privileges for the mother or parents similar to abroad where there is a minimum 6 month paid leave by the government even for public sector and support money for minimum 6 months to one year and free birth delivery in hospital paid by government plus other benifits .
3. Gay population has been increasing so there's less men available per women.
3. Irresponsible male behavior has driven woman to not get married and stuck in a relationship or vice versa.

4.which also is a cause for prostitution.

5.lack of free quality education is another reason of low living standards.

5 hours ago, stereolab said:

I suspect the team did not visit our area in North East Isaan, babies abound here.

Don't doubt what you are seeing, but financial realities of mechanization and urbanization are definitely chipping away at rural attitudes about having large families. If you doubt whether this is having an effect, do some checking and see how many of those kids you're seeing are living with both parents. Newborn infants of course are going to be with their mothers, but I'll wager that the majority of kids over five have at least one parent working away from home.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, P Funk said:

In Bkk too... lots of new angles being born. And a few devils too, me thinks.

Understand where you're coming from, but I'm pretty sure a nationwide birth rate study is not going to be trumped by anecdotal evidence.

never understood how fewer born could be a problem. Thank God theres lesser population. Atleast in Thailand they dont give a dime for the elders so whats the problem? In Europe its another thing where the government has to take care of the elders

• Thanks 1

with the new young people who do not have the family values of the working life, with little chance of work with no security for the future, with only in mind not to do anything new mobile phones turn on a moped drink smoke at a very young age, do not go to school do nothing have fun, without civic education of respect for life to think about the future, to think about looking for a life partner for a long life together with a family, without and with very few of these things in mind the Christmas will go down more and more, but it seems to me that governments, politicians, institutions do not care about any of this, only to think about vaccinating people with these medicines so that the degree of infertility of women and men will drop even more, and also shortening the length of the life for new generations, all for the sole purpose of eliminating millions billions of people, goodbye life goodbye future generations

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

The outlook is horrible, we might be running out of our beloved Thais before long...

Don't panic, Valentines Day coming soon, BIG day for teen pregnancies! Thailand has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Asia!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, farang63 said:

with the new young people who do not have the family values of the working life, with little chance of work with no security for the future, with only in mind not to do anything new mobile phones turn on a moped drink smoke at a very young age, do not go to school do nothing have fun, without civic education of respect for life to think about the future, to think about looking for a life partner for a long life together with a family, without and with very few of these things in mind the Christmas will go down more and more, but it seems to me that governments, politicians, institutions do not care about any of this, only to think about vaccinating people with these medicines so that the degree of infertility of women and men will drop even more, and also shortening the length of the life for new generations, all for the sole purpose of eliminating millions billions of people, goodbye life goodbye future generations

.........what's the downside? ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

In a country as small as Thailand and with a population of approx 68 million I cant see the problem, even why they need to import foreign labor from neighboring countries. There is obviously a problem with the local population and their work ethic!

Take Australia as a comparison, 5 times the size of Thailand, population 26 million, operates so much more efficiently than Thailand and does'nt rely on foreign labor. Speaks volumes of what is wrong in Thailand!

• Like 2