Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

webfact

31 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Take Australia as a comparison, 5 times the size of Thailand, population 26 million, operates so much more efficiently than Thailand and does'nt rely on foreign labor. Speaks volumes of what is wrong in Thailand!

You do not know much about the Australian immigration program. Check you facts (before covid of course)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Take Australia as a comparison, 5 times the size of Thailand, population 26 million, operates so much more efficiently than Thailand and does'nt rely on foreign labor.

"There are more than 1.1 million temporary workers in Australia – international students, working holidaymakers, bridging visa holders, those on temporary protection or safe haven visas – most are ineligible for all of the government's assistance packages."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/01/left-with-nothing-australias-migrant-workforce-face-destitution-without-coronavirus-safety-net

The above doesn't even scratch the surface when sponsored workers, guest worker, seasonal workers etc. are included and all programs are considered.

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/guestworker/australia.php

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

With women having babies later in life or not at all there are big problems associated with an ageing population and lack of people in the workforce.

Just shows many Thai people find kids expensive.

Also he means there will be a lack of poor people doing jobs that him and his kind won't do.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

"There are more than 1.1 million temporary workers in Australia – international students, working holidaymakers, bridging visa holders, those on temporary protection or safe haven visas – most are ineligible for all of the government's assistance packages."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/01/left-with-nothing-australias-migrant-workforce-face-destitution-without-coronavirus-safety-net

The above doesn't even scratch the surface when sponsored workers, guest worker, seasonal workers etc. are included and all programs are considered.

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/guestworker/australia.php

You got your poster/quotes mixed up but I thoroughly agree with you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Prople prefer to spend their money on iPhones, cars, condos and shopping binges at Central. Only to wake up in their late 40s with a completely empty life. 

I think many couples genuinely would like to have kids but are unable to due to one thing or another. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Plunging birth rate a major cause for concern in Thailand

Why would many thai people want kids. Poor country poor people ,many don't have a spare THB so that they can afford to bring up  a kid. 

Nowadays the people want I Phones  Big Tv's Cars & Motorbikes  + House, so Both Have to have a job if they want to pay back the Bad Bank.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

In the meanwhile the Thai government and media are in a tizzy fretting about "young people" having sex on Valentine's Day. 

Ya can't have it both ways.  People gotta have sex to have babies. 

Them fretting about people having sex is sexist and oppressive towards women.  

Their bodies, their choice.

Worrying about women not having enough children is sexist and oppressive too.

Their bodies, their choice.

It appears we have a conundrum.

Edited by Airalee

The major problem I see is the bias against non Thai people. Australia has grown its population and work force by inviting people from other countries to migrate and add to the population. Australia now has a high multicultural population and a high success rate in migrants reaching the top of the employment ladder in all walks of life. Thailand will not survive with the current attitude Thailand and good jobs for Thais only.        

9 minutes ago, connda said:

In the meanwhile the Thai government and media are in a tizzy fretting about "young people" having sex on Valentine's Day. 

Ya can't have it both ways.  People gotta have sex to have babies. 

I rest my case...

I know a number of Thai ladies in 30's, 40's and 50's who have been unable to conceive. Also a fair few that have had two children and then been "cut" as they call it. One, a niece was in her early 20's, got married, popped 2 kids out in 3 years then built her business. She was from a family of 4 generations under one (very large) roof. Great grandmother had no less than 11 children, 11 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren - at last count - and is very well looked after! The younger generations, especially urbanites, just don't want too have kids, or simply don't have the finances for large families. Also, seen a fair few young ladies hand over the newborn to grandma and then head off to Bangkok or elswhere to find work. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I could not contemplate being without mine. They may all be 6,000 miles away, but we are connected emotionally and lovingly in ways that are difficult to explain to anyone without children.  Interestingly, that is not yet shared by those 3 kids of mine for themselves, who have yet to produce a Grandchild. They just need to get a grip, concentrate on the task in hand and try harder! 

My son in the UK was an only child. He is now 47 married with 2 children.

My Thai son is only 16 and still at school and is at the stage of liking girls, but not that much, yet.

• Like 2

Let's just work this out.  No jobs, low salary if you have a job, ever increasing living costs, large medical bills, no incentive from the government to have children, ( In the UK it used to be more kids less tax i believe ) and the chance of your kids going into the Army.    

Nah, i'm understanding now why a lot of Thais are moving out of Thailand for a better life..... I know lots of Thai women that moved to Britain, and when you ask them will they go back to Thailand ?  they look at you in disbelief...... What for ?     

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

If I was only offered 300 baht a day I would have little interest in finding a job, it would be a lot easier to send out the girlfriend to work in a restaurant or bar and live off her money. Seen the boyfriends picking up their girlfriends from the go go bars early in the morning. The boyfriends are not bothered how their girlfriends make their money. 

This is one of the big problems that face farangs that havn't been here long enough to witness the truth within the country and its people.  How many times have you seen blokes heartbroken when they find out that the love of their life has a Thai boyfriend or husband in some cases ?  They just don't understand the culture, it's nothing personal it's just money..........

I remember years ago a very valuable lesson i was taught by shall i say a very experienced lady of the night.

She laid on the bed and put on a writhing and moaning show that was definetely doing the job, but as she explained, "That's for the customer, and this is for free".......   As you say, why knock your pan for 300 bht a day when you can have someone do it for you........For a lot more...... 

• Like 2

It would seem to me that if Thailand lifted the quarantine, and brought their Baht down, say 10%—then the tourist industry and exports would thrive, and good paying jobs would return.  When people have good income, they behave accordingly—procreate.

• Like 2

I remember a few years ago the government here was going all out to curb teenage pregnancies. It looks like they succeeded. 

Thailand really hasn't got the problems many western countries have as they need a high birthrate to keep paying pensions and other benefits to people who are living decades longer. Maybe the world could benefit from having fewer people in future.

• Like 2