Thailand still plans for international tourists to return on Oct 1

webfact

If the intention is to turn phuket into a Covid bubble, then they better make sure EVERYONE on the island is vaccinated, not just those working in the tourism industry.

if they did that AND properly ensured that no one entered or left the bubble by land sea or air for other parts of Thailand, then, yes, it could work.

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

If the intention is to turn phuket into a Covid bubble, then they better make sure EVERYONE on the island is vaccinated, not just those working in the tourism industry.

if they did that AND properly ensured that no one entered or left the bubble by land sea or air for other parts of Thailand, then, yes, it could work.

also pregnant women, old people with chronic diseases where a vaccine could either not work or be dangerous,  newborns without immune system to detox the vaccine,  young children, where the vaccine was not meant or tested for ?

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

There were already many dates proposed in 2020 - probably every single month from september till now, and every month in this year. 
Hence i worry, that some tourists would come, but it would be in tens od thausands in rhe whole year, so insignificant

Yes, they keep changing the dates.  Anything could happen from now until October.  Rise in infections, breakdown in vaccine plans, etc.

I'll wait for the next news report (with a different date).

Why so many news reports dealing with the same subject?

58 minutes ago, realfunster said:

That's a new record even for the inattentive TV crowd. You didn't even read the very first line of the article !

I got that.

it’s a request from the governor in Phuket ... and the vaccine part has already  been declined by Anutin and the government want to stick to the 14 days quarantine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

There were already many dates proposed in 2020 - probably every single month feom september till now, and every month in this year. 
Hence i worry, that some tourists would come, but it would be in tens od thausands in rhe whole year, so insignificant

You have to give them credit for being consistent.  By that I mean maintaining a consistent number of months until they eventually open.  I think it stays constant at about 6 months ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems to me they are putting the cart before the horse.  They first need a policy to address quarantine free admission of tourists vaccinated in their home country ... they may ultimately still require a quarantine due to insufficient evidence surrounding transmission by those vaccinated ... but at least have a policy decision.  Second, they need to ask themselves why would anyone want to visit Thailand when a very small percentage of the population has been vaccinated (and maybe still requiring a quarantine)?  The Phuket bubble idea is not going to do anything to address visitor reticence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists would still need to quarantine on the island but would not be confined to a hotel room, as is the case currently. Travel to other parts of Thailand would be restricted until tourists have completed 14 days on the island. 

That is a very lousy plan. As people would be free to roam around the island, they could of course get infected there, by new arrivals, at any time during "quarantine in paradise".

Just keep them in Phuket. And declare it off limits for anyone that's not on the island.

Same could be done for other places that have their own airports... like Samui, for instance. Or by provinces.

If people there agree or have ample time to move out if they don't.

• Sad 1