Chiang Mai: Foreign language teachers replaced by a high-tech pen!

webfact

Chiang Mai: Foreign language teachers replaced by a high-tech pen!

9pm.jpg
Thai caption: Hi-Tech machine reads three languages

Ban Muang reported that foreign language teachers at a school in Saraphi, Chiang Mai, had been replaced by a thick pen.

Chinese nationals and native speakers of English used to teach the primary kids at Wat Welujan school but since the pandemic they have had to do without. 

Now they used the pen that is held over words and can announce the pronunciation and translate using Thai, Chinese and English.

P6 child Jantharawimon said it was fun and easy to use. 

Source: Ban Muang

• Haha 2

how come English is actually thought at every school, but 99,9 percent don't understand or can even speak a sentence ?

we did not have thai as a second language in our schools at home

lol

well, at least I speak 3 languages fluent + understand german

Edited by Mike Rodik
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Didn't see any mention of conversation or discussion practice which also connects to listening and comprehension skills. 

A Trump Enterprises product, free when staying at one of our resorts or hotels

• Haha 1

in 6 years I've met maybe three Thais who can REALLY speak English.  I've "taught" at one school years ago.   Three out of tens of thousands of people I've met.....

schools charge money if they have teachers from countries like UK, USA, etc......and they can't charge too much because they have a pen.  lol

a talking dictionary will NEVER teach you how to learn a language.   

but a backpacker or non-native will never teach you how to speak English, either

enjoy

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

While I can only claim to speak and understand my native language fluently, I have been introduced to the study of 6 other languages. In order to learn a different language you need a human, knowledgeable in both the word translation but also in the culture. Some words do not translate on a one to one basis and needs the cultural context to be comprehended. Language translation has improved tremendously but, interpretation is a bit different ...

Edited by wwest5829

14 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

how come English is actually thought at every school, but 99,9 percent don't understand or can even speak a sentence ?

we did not have thai as a second language in our schools at home

lol

well, at least I speak 3 languages fluent + understand german

I hope that English is not one of the three that you claim to speak fluentLY (adverb).

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Ban Muang reported that foreign language teachers at a school in Saraphi, Chiang Mai, had been replaced by a thick pen.

The pen is only a "direct translation tool" it cannot explain things so children understand like a real teacher.

20 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

Teaching conversation is one type of English instruction.  There is also study of grammar, reading and writing.  Thai school English instruction focuses on the later.  It is like the guy I knew who took 3 years of university level German, got all A grades but could not speak a word because speaking was not what they studied.  He was reading scientific stuff in German.