Chiang Mai: Foreign language teachers replaced by a high-tech pen!

webfact

On 2/12/2021 at 12:27 PM, webfact said:

Chiang Mai: Foreign language teachers replaced by a high-tech pen!

Best of luck on that front.  Soon Google Translate will be Thailand's official source of NES teachers, well that and a "smart pen." 

Now that they don't have a ready supply of low-paid NES tourists to tap into they'll economize and laud the NES Pen!  And Thai children's ability to speak English will continue to spiral down the drain. 

You'd think they'd be actively looking for qualified long-stay expats (like yours truly with 3 years of teaching experience but over the age of 60 seeing that ageism is alive and well in the Thai educational system as well as in most  institutions).  Plus they haven't adjusted the pay scale in a couple of decades.  But baby!  They got Pen!  Woo Hoo!  I'm sure the Smart Pen by be able to identify nouns, but I want to hear that Pen teach Present Continuous to the kiddies!   Lol!

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 4:08 AM, bluesofa said:

He must have a degree in Engrish by now after using it?

Word has it TAT just hired him to address the incoming mass of tourists lining up, demanding to be let into the Magical Kingdom! :)....Just need a magic "wisa" as seen on teewee.. ????

On 2/12/2021 at 1:12 AM, trainman34014 said:

Hope the pen does a better job than the English Teachers did; because let's face it, the pen couldn't do any worse could it !

Dont forget to stock up on batteries, or use the handy low grade usb cable..just plug into any PC so the chinese can install malware...thank you come again! ????

And as others note all thais have a phone--google translate app has a camera and translates into voice as well..tho not as happy n cute as a hello kitty junky plastic soon to break pen.sanuk!

On 2/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, connda said:

You'd think they'd be actively looking for qualified long-stay expats (like yours truly with 3 years of teaching experience but over the age of 60

Here in the BKK outskirts at the mid-level private schools we’ve got several teaching in their 60’s. We also had a few out in the Issan provinces where I was before, but there the government salary still tops out at about 35k.

I often quickly spot Google Translate in my essay assignments and have the students rewrite them. It’s mostly gibberish. Indeed, many grammatical nuances are lost, and thus there’s no way they can be learned this way. They try to use advanced vocabulary in Thai that comes out completely different. Machine translation’s still not smart enough to pick up on what the intended word’s supposed to be, given the context. For that we still need humans. Also features like gender and plurality are often lost in translation, as these and many other things aren’t usually indicated in Thai.