Unexpected SCB Annual Fee charged to Credit Card Account @ 5,350 Bht

Bad surpise this morning.  Never seen this charge before and have been with SCB for more than 20 years.  Our situation is that we have been locked out of Thailand since Jan 2020 when we left to visit UK family for a brief period.  But have not yet been able to return to Thailand. 

Our bank and credit card accounts have been maintained throughout, albeit with fewer transactions.  The bank balance has reduced over the period but is good for many more months' of low-level activity before needing top-up.  (This is our day-to-day working account, and separate to our 800k account held with another bank.)

Any advice gratefully received.  Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have a UK credit card much better IMHO.

I agree. 

Dump the Thai CC.  No need for it, and the security accounts you have to for it, and the rubbish insurance they say you have to have to get the Thai CC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Also, many outlets (particularly online) won't accept foreign cards and with a Thai card you always know how much you will be charged.

I have 3 credit cards from the USA and have never had an issue using them in Thailand, online, or anywhere in the world.  The exchange rate is always excellent if you tell them to use Thai Baht on the charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

I have 3 credit cards from the USA and have never had an issue using them in Thailand, online, or anywhere in the world.  The exchange rate is always excellent if you tell them to use Thai Baht on the charge.

Experiences vary of course and things change. I've not actually tried my UK cards for a Thai online charge for a while.

Agree 100%, always tell them to charge in Baht to get the best rate.

1 hour ago, bprhodes said:

I expect you have your USA address onfile with those 3 cards?

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

I expect you have your USA address onfile with those 3 cards?

Yes,  but it’s just a mail drop, not a physical address.  I switched to the mail drop from a physical address when I moved to Thailand.  Not sure if I could open a new account with the mail drop address.  Nowadays banks and brokerages check for a physical address and when I try opening an account online I get a message that the address is invalid.  The money laundering laws are making it increasingly difficult to maintain a US financial presence. 

I've been living in Thailand for nearly 5 years and use my US credit cards often. My cards  have no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees and provide 1% cash back or travel points. I use them often and have never had a case where a Thai card was needed. Always, always, always make certain the charges are in Baht - or local currency if you're travelling

If you have or can get a foreign card with no fees, my advice would be to cancel the Thai credit card. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

Yes,  but it’s just a mail drop, not a physical address.  I switched to the mail drop from a physical address when I moved to Thailand.  Not sure if I could open a new account with the mail drop address.  Nowadays banks and brokerages check for a physical address and when I try opening an account online I get a message that the address is invalid.  The money laundering laws are making it increasingly difficult to maintain a US financial presence. 

Having a US address on file (a.k.a., mailing/billing address) is why you've had no problems in online ordering.   But if you have a foriegn mailing/billing address on file for the US card you will run into situations where you US card will not be accepted for online buys.  And highly unlikely you could add a US card  with a foriegn billing address to  US PayPal acct  and similar payment systems.  That's based on my experience in having US credit cards which have my  US address or Thailand address.  For in store buys the billing address doesn't matter...works fine.

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Having a US address on file (a.k.a., mailing/billing address) is why you've had no problems in online ordering.   But if you have a foriegn mailing/billing address on file for the US card you will run into situations where you US card will not be accepted for online buys.  And highly unlikely you could add a US card  with a foriegn billing address to  US PayPal acct  and similar payment systems.  That's based on my experience in having US credit cards which have my  US address or Thailand address.  For in store buys the billing address doesn't matter...works fine.

For just this reason I have avoided revealing my Thailand address to the CC companies.  However, they might catch on because I keep renewing the travel advisory.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Life would be much easier if I could afford to maintain a USA physical address (preferably in a no text state)  even if it is a dumpy small apartment that is vacant 95% of the time.

1 hour ago, bprhodes said:

For just this reason I have avoided revealing my Thailand address to the CC companies.  However, they might catch on because I keep renewing the travel advisory.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Life would be much easier if I could afford to maintain a USA physical address (preferably in a no text state)  even if it is a dumpy small apartment that is vacant 95% of the time.

That's were I'm lucky I guess my UK bank FD on-line banking because I only have a Thailand address.

Told them when I left.

I use the following debit card internationally and everywhere in Thailand. They pay my Spotify and Netflix and I get 5% cashback(in crypto). I also can use Airport first class lounges free. So convenient to top up in bitcoin or whatever. I just paid my phone bill and 3 others in my family.

I'm going to try to use it to buy gold soon ????

https://crypto.com/en/cards.html

Edited by Neeranam

23 hours ago, tomdfc said:

Bad surpise this morning.  Never seen this charge before and have been with SCB for more than 20 years.  Our situation is that we have been locked out of Thailand since Jan 2020 when we left to visit UK family for a brief period.  But have not yet been able to return to Thailand. 

Our bank and credit card accounts have been maintained throughout, albeit with fewer transactions.  The bank balance has reduced over the period but is good for many more months' of low-level activity before needing top-up.  (This is our day-to-day working account, and separate to our 800k account held with another bank.)

Just curious, why have you been locked out of Thailand since Jan 2020? if you left for a brief period?

On 2/12/2021 at 8:47 PM, tomdfc said:

I've got similar charge from Bangkok Bank a week ago. Went to the branch to enquire about it and explained to them I was stuck out of Thailand for nearly an year. They said the charge will be reversed next week. If you have been a good customer with SCB for that long I suggest to call them and try to reverse the charge.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I've got similar charge from Bangkok Bank a week ago. Went to the branch to enquire about it and explained to them I was stuck out of Thailand for nearly an year. They said the charge will be reversed next week. If you have been a good customer with SCB for that long I suggest to call them and try to reverse the charge.

SCB call center (02-777-7777) can also reverse the annual fee charges if you call and explain. They rather drop the annual fee than lose a customer. 

On 2/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Pib said:

Actually I use my US Chase card at Tesco/Tops/Lazada online services with no issues and it has my Bangkok Address.  Just can't use it for US firms like TurboTax and such. 

As for PayPal mine is indeed paid by this Bangkok address Chase card and has been so for over 20 years with no issues.  But my PayPal was established in Singapore (before they had in Thailand).

On 2/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, Neeranam said:

I use the following debit card internationally and everywhere in Thailand. They pay my Spotify and Netflix and I get 5% cashback(in crypto). I also can use Airport first class lounges free. So convenient to top up in bitcoin or whatever. I just paid my phone bill and 3 others in my family.

I'm going to try to use it to buy gold soon ????

https://crypto.com/en/cards.html

I was looking at this today, you now have to keep 50,000 CRO coins in Stake & Earn for 180 days on crypto.com to qualify for a card, that's just under $5,000 I believe, that's a high risk price for a credit card, even with the cashback spot & flix benefits. 

13 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I was looking at this today, you now have to keep 50,000 CRO coins in Stake & Earn for 180 days on crypto.com to qualify for a card, that's just under $5,000 I believe, that's a high risk price for a credit card, even with the cashback spot & flix benefits. 

$4200, but yeah it's gone up since I got mine. However, this is the start of a big bull run so that staked CRO will increase in value, plus you get 16% pa on it.

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

$4200, but yeah it's gone up since I got mine. However, this is the start of a big bull run so that staked CRO will increase in value, plus you get 16% pa on it.

True, it's certainly a good return! 

On 2/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, bprhodes said:

I had US cards too (lived for a while in the US). But when they expired I couldn't get new ones anymore because I couldn't prove that I still have an address there. So be prepared.

4 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I had US cards too (lived for a while in the US). But when they expired I couldn't get new ones anymore because I couldn't prove that I still have an address there. So be prepared.

So far renewals have happened automatically with the cards sent to my mail drop, then forwarded to me.  But your right, I may eventually have to establish a “residency” with my son at his address in the US.  Hopefully by then he moves to a no income tax state.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

So far renewals have happened automatically with the cards sent to my mail drop, then forwarded to me.  But your right, I may eventually have to establish a “residency” with my son at his address in the US.  Hopefully by then he moves to a no income tax state.

My brother still lives in the US. So I could have used his address. But sadly they asked for utility bills that are in my name. Perhaps you can pay the Internet for your son or perhaps even better the garbage disposal... In my case it was too late to react.