Thai man's last selfie near Nong Khai skywalk - friend told him not to

rooster59

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

selfies, the curse of the modern world. When I was young and stupid (now old and stupid) we used to seek out adventures and experiences, not photo opportunities. Social media kills another one.  He isn't the first and he won't be the last. The irony is that these images will not be around in 50 years time, as paper photographs were.  They are as fleeting as life itself.

Hm,..what was once posted on the internet stays on the internet !!!

9 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Selfies are the lowest form of photography - totally crass. The only item on my bucket list is: to die never having taken a selfie!

You'll have to tell the Thai, unbelievable so many as that people take selfies, and for what?

Are they so proud about them self?

Really, I don't understand that people, and it is only one thing.

8 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

You'll have to tell the Thai, unbelievable so many as that people take selfies, and for what?

Are they so proud about them self?

Really, I don't understand that people, and it is only one thing.

Why are you singling out Thais? Every nation on the planet is into selfies nowadays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Sadly, and with respect, this may have been the spot. The sky-walk is to the left behind the trees, however visitors do like to climb onto the rocky outcrop for "selfies" etc. I have visited the sky-walk myself and found it quite scary as I do not like heights - the rocky outcrop was definitely a "no no" for me. RIP Thai man. 

image.png

That fence is fairly new. It wasn't there when I visited. Maybe 3 years ago

• Thanks 1

Condolences to the deceased's family and friends.

The word "selfie" now is most probably in today's modern dictionaries.

Younger females seem to be the main participants in the taking of selfies.

One would have thought that with all the many attempts they make to get that "perfect selfie" they would gain some sort of experience and prowess but I think not...   It's pure vanity, you must get that lip implant and nose job in the right lighting.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Selfies are the lowest form of photography - totally crass. The only item on my bucket list is: to die never having taken a selfie!

i can't write it here.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

IMhO the Japanese were  right and you were wrong.

There's 1M professional photos of the mountains, the only reason for you to add to the photo's, is if you're (or someone else important to you) in them.

Both Japanese tourists and wannabe Ansell Adams were not really "there".

They were with their "selfs", or looking forward to something that they would be with in the future.......looking forward to looking backwards.

Some would say that both were "wrong".

I would have said it once.

Edited by Enoon

31 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Both Japanese tourists and wannabe Ansell Adams were not really "there".

They were with their "selfs", or looking forward to something that they would be with in the future.......looking forward to looking backwards.

Some would say that both were "wrong".

I would have said it once.

Ansel Adams

20 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Those were the very reasons I never opened one in the first place.

Staying more on topic , you don't see folk with those selfie sticks any more. A blessing indeed.

You will have to wait for the return of the hordes of Chinese tourists..............

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Sadly, and with respect, this may have been the spot. The sky-walk is to the left behind the trees, however visitors do like to climb onto the rocky outcrop for "selfies" etc. I have visited the sky-walk myself and found it quite scary as I do not like heights - the rocky outcrop was definitely a "no no" for me. RIP Thai man. 

image.png

What I find amazing in your picture is no warning signs, and is that a gate on the left !!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

What I find amazing in your picture is no warning signs, and is that a gate on the left !!!!

That is correct, no warning signs when I visited about 2 years ago. According to "Bunnydrops", about 3 years ago there wasn't even a fence!  This scenic spot with its sky-walk is very popular with many Thai families, especially on public holidays. I believe the fence was erected to prevent visitors, especially children, from running straight to the edge. Yes, there is an entrance to the left directing visitors to the rocky outcrop. What the present day situation is I have no idea - probably still the same.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, Pilotman said:

selfies, the curse of the modern world. When I was young and stupid (now old and stupid) we used to seek out adventures and experiences, not photo opportunities. Social media kills another one.  He isn't the first and he won't be the last. The irony is that these images will not be around in 50 years time, as paper photographs were.  They are as fleeting as life itself.

Does Facebook, Google and all the others not keep all photos, conversations etc FOR EVER?

Most photos taken on phones are looked at once....10 seconds after being taken. Then they are up on Farcebook for the world to laugh at......not in this Thai guy's case though.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, scammed said:

that mean your visa status doesnt hinge on a pic of yourself

in your house, outside your house, etc/ etc

Agreed. The only way to easily take the 6 photos required for the annual marriage extension debacle !

But done with a digital camera, not my smartphone. 

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Does Facebook, Google and all the others not keep all photos, conversations etc FOR EVER?

Most photos taken on phones are looked at once....10 seconds after being taken. Then they are up on Farcebook for the world to laugh at......not in this Thai guy's case though.

Bruce Willis took them to Court some time ago, to try to retain legal property rights over his social media, including photos and music when he died etc.  It was soundly rejected by the US courts.  Similar actions in other countries (EU) have also fallen.  

35 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

We are always taking selfies. It's a modern form of flattery.

Historically we have always been regarded as great cooks and lovers. Risk-takers too. This poor man was just trying to be cool.

Not too much sympathy for him on this thread.

RIP.

Perhaps you are always taking selfies? Yes, it is a modern form of self-flattery, very narcissistic.

I have only ever taken one selfie. That was six years ago, when a photo was required for a job application.

I did avoid standing in front of any scenery, risking my life.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps you are always taking selfies? Yes, it is a modern form of self-flattery, very narcissistic.

I have only ever taken one selfie. That was six years ago, when a photo was required for a job application.

I did avoid standing in front of any scenery, risking my life.

Only one!? Good for you Mr Bluesofa.

Does taking a selfie suggest that one is taking a pic of just oneself? I prefer to have a beautiful French (or Dutch) lady in the shot; with her head resting on my shoulder. I guess that's not really a selfie under the strict definition of selfies.

Never mind. Just have to be careful when taking selfies.

• Like 1