10 handy hidden Android features you probably forget to use

ravip

Found this interesting article.

Android is practically overflowing with options, and it's easy to lose track of some useful stuff along the way.

#1: Fast app-switching
#2: App shortcuts
#3: Live Caption
#4: Share menu pinning
#5: App pinning
#6: Guest Mode
#7: Do Not Disturb rules
#8: App pausing
#9: Focus Mode
#10: Notification snoozing

Full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dddave said:

Darn.  Been using Android since "Froyo" and I don't even know what these terms mean.  It seems every time I try to initiate something new, the pathway I get is never quite the same as the directions, ending up in a panic with  some basic function screwed up.

I once tried to "root" a phone.  It's remains still sit in a drawer, a perpetual reminder to me to just leave things be.

Rooting is not really a 'basic' I think. 

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Does it make phone calls?

It took me an age to work out how to answer Line calls when I got my new phone. Needed the input of my Thai office assistant (much younger than I) to make it work (seems there's a bug that unsets some obscure setting).

There was nothing wrong with my old phone except it couldn't be updated to the Android version the banking apps wanted ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It took me an age to work out how to answer Line calls when I got my new phone. Needed the input of my Thai office assistant (much younger than I) to make it work (seems there's a bug that unsets some obscure setting).

There was nothing wrong with my old phone except it couldn't be updated to the Android version the banking apps wanted ????

Do you remember the good old days when phones just made calls and texts? Not all progress turns out to be to the betterment of humankind 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Do you remember the good old days when phones just made calls and texts? Not all progress turns out to be to the betterment of humankind 

It's not really that long ago (ok, mid 90's) I had a ruddy pager, "beep beep", find a phone, call the office to find out where I was supposed to be.

Also, "beep beep" at 2AM from an unknown number, call back to find some poor soul who's been given my number by a bit of stuff who evidently didn't want to be picked up ???? 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 4:08 AM, ravip said:

#10: Notification snoozing

Something like that is why I hardly use my phone nowadays. I used it mostly for emails while on the road; however, due to some battery saving feature, it no longer automatically check for new email every X minute.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's not really that long ago (ok, mid 90's) I had a ruddy pager, "beep beep", find a phone, call the office to find out where I was supposed to be.

Also, "beep beep" at 2AM from an unknown number, call back to find some poor soul who's been given my number by a bit of stuff who evidently didn't want to be picked up ???? 

I ran my first company with no computers on anyone's desk and a basic car phone.  When I stopped flying with passengers 4 years ago, my aircraft glass cockpit and automation was like Mission Control.  Not sure even now if it was a step forward or not, as it seemed to me that Boeing and technology was trying to move me ever further away from actually flying the jet. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Not sure even now if it was a step forward or not, as it seemed to me that Boeing and technology was trying to move me ever further away from actually flying the jet. 

With so many air crashes caused by human error its nice to know there are powerful computers watching over the unpredictable organic matter.

Its also nice to know that systems like OFDM are monitoring pilots and looking for trends that need to be addressed.

1 minute ago, maxpower said:

With so many air crashes caused by human error its nice to know there are powerful computers watching over the unpredictable organic matter.

Its also nice to know that systems like OFDM are monitoring pilots and looking for trends that need to be addressed.

haha, good one. At the end of the day, and it may be the end of every day, it's the skill of the pilot that makes a difference. Computers are and should be an aid to basic skills for the men and woman at the front end, not the final decision maker.  Didn't  Sully provide the definitive example of this obvious fact?  All the computers in the world could not have saved that aircraft and it occupants, basic flying skill  and professionalism did that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Didn't  Sully provide the definitive example of this obvious fact?  All the computers in the world could not have saved that aircraft and it occupants, basic flying skill  and professionalism did that. 

Not everyone has the same level of skill. Flight 1549 was lucky to be carrying a high level.

Computers aid in aircraft is not about helping the rare incident like complete engine failure.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Not everyone has the same level of skill. Flight 1549 was lucky to be carrying a high level.

Computers aid in aircraft is not about helping the rare incident like complete engine failure.

That my friend doesn't make any sense. Glass cockpits and computerisation help to reduce pilot work load, they do not replace basic aviation and piloting  skills  and knowledge.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That my friend doesn't make any sense. Glass cockpits and computerisation help to reduce pilot work load, they do not replace basic aviation and piloting  skills  and knowledge.  

You forgot human error, read my first post. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

why do people like you always have to make it personal by throwing out insults to a person you have never met, dont know and have no idea about. Its pathetic,  but not uncommon on here. 

I just get tired of moaners about technology because they can't use it. Not a word of what i said is untrue. Your own post prove how bad your with technology. Anyway have fun staying in the past while the rest of the world moves forward. 

You live in the past, you might be smart (probably as they don't let just anyone fly a plane) but you post show little aptitude for technology if you want to go back to a time when a phone could only call. 

You did not go after any of the things i posted that were improvements. Probably because your intelligence told you you would only make a fool of yourself. 

• Like 2