Moving to Phuket?

Surelynot

Hi,

Rental contract is up soon in Bangkok and toying with the idea of moving tp Phuket for a year or two.

Only visited Phuket a couple of times, 20 years ago, so don't know the ins and outs.

Looking of a condo....quiet location, usual facilities, gym, pool etc.......happy to rent a smaller apartment in a better class of condo, rather than a big apartment in a condo that has seen better days.

Looking for something in the region of 15k-20k per month .

Could anyone point me in the right direction?....either general location or actual condo?

Thanks in advance for anyone bothering to respond.

PLenty of condos.  pick where you want to be, cheaper ones near central mall in town, & Kathu

more expensive near beach

Note; Patong, Karon and kata beach are dead

Kamala, Rawai, Chern taly have people and its fine

15-20 should get ya a nice studio/1 bedroom near beach

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

PLenty of condos.  pick where you want to be, cheaper ones near central mall in town, & Kathu

Cheers....quite happy with 'dead'.........so will have a look around.

• Like 1

To make a truly INFORMED decision, you should go and stay in Phuket for 1-2 months in a short-term accommodation and use the time to familiarize yourself with the various towns on the island,.

Patong is probably the most central/convenient place to stay for the short-term as you explore the other towns.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Looking of a condo....quiet location, usual facilities, gym, pool etc.......happy to rent a smaller apartment in a better class of condo, rather than a big apartment in a condo that has seen better days.

I live in Patong and IMO it's the perfect place to be, although like many places in Thailand, it has its "quirks" and good and bad.

You might want to look at apartments available in Phuket Villa, as a couple of friends of mine have managed to secure nice one-bedroom apartments in the price range you quoted.

The Lofts is another large apartment building with all that you require, but just a few minutes farther back from the sea, and I recently looked at one which was two bedrooms, and the owner had dropped the price quite markedly and I was very tempted to move in......but that's another story.

As others have said, best to come and have a look around and if you are down this way you can always PM me for some more local info. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I live in Patong and IMO it's the perfect place to be, although like many places in Thailand, it has its "quirks" and good and bad.

You might want to look at apartments available in Phuket Villa, as a couple of friends of mine have managed to secure nice one-bedroom apartments in the price range you quoted.

The Lofts is another large apartment building with all that you require, but just a few minutes farther back from the sea, and I recently looked at one which was two bedrooms, and the owner had dropped the price quite markedly and I was very tempted to move in......but that's another story.

As others have said, best to come and have a look around and if you are down this way you can always PM me for some more local info. 

Wow...thanks for that.....with so many places to choose from it is nice to narrow that choice down, based on some else's first hand knowledge.

13 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

To make a truly INFORMED decision, you should go and stay in Phuket for 1-2 months in a short-term accommodation and use the time to familiarize yourself with the various towns on the island,.

Patong is probably the most central/convenient place to stay for the short-term as you explore the other towns.

Yes...was thinking along those lines......cheers

15 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I'd also encourage you to come and take a look. I live in Patong, and with many of the condos mostly empty, some are struggling to pay for maintenance and upkeep. The pictures you see online may not reflect today's reality. 

On the other hand, some places have found this to be the perfect time to do maintenance and repainting. My condo actually looks better now than it used to. 

Yes....a lengthy visit is on the cards to scout......quite looking forward to a change in scenery.....central Bangkok is great, but like any big city it eventually wears you down.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, zzzzz said:

Agreed on all these points, except 15-20 will get you more than a studio on these areas.

Two things about Phuket. It's a big island. Where your live matters. Also, taxis are really expensive, so if you don't have a motorized means of transportation, you should either get one, or live where you can walk everywhere.

• Thanks 1

I live in Cherng Talay and it is a really nice place to stay, Central Food Hall, Villa, lots of restaurants and some really friendly pubs where you are sure to meet kindred spirits, Cider House and Peppers spring to mind but O’Hara’s Irish bar is opening on the 26th.

I am not knocking Patong but it is quite depressing at the moment due to the lack of tourists, Cherng Talay has a lot of permanent residents and the atmosphere is good. For a Sundowner on the beach Paul’s, Hugo’s, Beach 2 are great and only five minutes from the village 

• Like 2

Patong beach is Phuket's little Pattaya. If you like being grabbed by the hand by [hopefully] ladies offering you a massage with happy end then Patong is your best bet.

Otherwise take a look at Kata, Karon, Kamala.

Rawai / Nai Harn are nice beaches too.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:23 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

That's exactly what I did nearly 20 years ago. And that's why I got the heck out of Patong after two months of a three month contract.

And don't expect any taxis screeching to a halt as you exit your condo, like in Bangkok. And forget about 35 baht on the meter.  :unsure:

Apart from that, welcome to Phuket!   :w00t: 

If it's a quiet location that you're looking for, could be "The Pixels" on Cape Panwa would suit.   A few metres from the sea front, and a few restaurants/convenience stores in the area.   It seems to have the facilities that you mention i.e. swimming pool/fitness room etc.   I don't live in Panwa, though visit the area quite often.   Certainly has to be one of the most scenic areas of Phuket, with a small expat community and relatively few tourists at any time (obviously nil at the moment).

Seems to be plenty of information on Google, this as an example, with 1 bedroom units circa 15,000/month, though no doubt that would be negotiated down quite easily.

https://www.fazwaz.com/projects/thailand/phuket/phuket-town/wichit/the-pixels?gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3kpgui0MKGmyBl9wLHmalzzaOGu54IT9TUdxDc3gSuSkQbS6PydmSYxoC71MQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Phuket | EN - Project&utm_content=The Pixels&utm_term=%2Bthe %2Bpixels&gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3kpgui0MKGmyBl9wLHmalzzaOGu54IT9TUdxDc3gSuSkQbS6PydmSYxoC71MQAvD_BwE

I'll throw my hat into this ring.  Patong has its' pluses and minuses.  For me, it is a bit too frenetic when the tourists are there.  I opted to go one town North to Kamala.  Smaller town with a good beach and pretty friendly people.  About a 10 - 15 minute scooter drive (without tourists less) to Jungceylon Mall.

If you're going to move to an island, move somewhere with a beach.  Beaches on the west side of the island tend to be superior to the East side.  Pick up a place for a month and drive  around and see what tickles your fancy.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The beauty of moving to an Island is that, wherever you choose to live, a favored beach or raunchy night out, is only a 10-15 minute scooter drive away. There's no reason to live in any of the noisy, pricey, tourist enclaves to enjoy the best Phuket has to offer. My place, away from the tourist throngs, is within minutes of Tesco malls, Makro, Homepro, Villa Mart, Supercheap Central Mall, hospitals, schools, business centers, etc.  A short drive gets you to the best beaches. The Island is only about 20km across at the widest point.

why live on an island if ur not going to live within 5 minutes of a beach??

84-96 Patong ( was great back than)

97-98  California

98-..... Kamala>> never considered elsewhere..

2008/09  Phnom Penh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

why live on an island if ur not going to live within 5 minutes of a beach??

84-96 Patong ( was great back than)

97-98  California

98-..... Kamala>> never considered elsewhere..

2008/09  Phnom Penh

Life involves more than just being adjacent to a beach. Five minutes or fifteen makes little difference if you want a day at the beach. Paying cheaper rents and being closer to other daily amenities makes more sense for most long term residents.

I spent my youth in walking distance of one of the best beaches in Australia and travelled extensively during my life. I also enjoyed Patong as a tourist last century, but wont bore readers with a list of places I've lived over the last 40 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the big difference is for me i can pop down to the beach in less than 5 minutes for a hour walk and swim which i do everyday, I haven't spent a DAY at the beach in 25 years.  lol

I ONLY do a big shopping once a week at central, what other daily amnesties do i need?  In Kamala we have a Big C, Tesco, multiple 7/11's, clinic's etc etc

so its a no brainier where to live

to each their own

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

the big difference is for me i can pop down to the beach in less than 5 minutes for a hour walk and swim which i do everyday, I haven't spent a DAY at the beach in 25 years.  lol

I ONLY do a big shopping once a week at central, what other daily amnesties do i need?  In Kamala we have a Big C, Tesco, multiple 7/11's, clinic's etc etc

so its a no brainier where to live

to each their own

Indeed..

Unless you have kids that need to be close to their school somewhere in the island interior, the west coast beach towns are always where you want live in phuket:

Driving to the good west coast beaches from the interior of the island can be a huge PITA during non-covid times due to traffic.

Being able to conveniently walk to a good west coast beach, or being within a 5 minute drive, is priceless.

Edited by ChasingTheSun

On 2/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

Indeed..

Unless you have kids that need to be close to their school somewhere in the island interior, the west coast beach towns are always where you want live in phuket:

Driving to the good west coast beaches from the interior of the island can be a huge PITA during non-covid times due to traffic.

Being able to conveniently walk to a good west coast beach, or being within a 5 minute drive, is priceless.

Let me guess, the BEST west coast beach is Kamala.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Let me guess, the BEST west coast beach is Kamala.

Yup, you are correct.

Most people would agree with you that Kamala beach is the best beach town overall on Phuket.

Considering its good beach quality and relatively safe shallow beach slope, central island location(close to Patong for a night out), and easy access to amenities right on/around the beach etc.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Confused 1