Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Moving to Phuket?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

 

No it's not.

Kata beach is much more beautiful as are the northern beaches.

They also don't have an unsightly resort built right on the beach, or those unsightly villas all crammed onto the southern headland.

 

Kamala is nice when you are there, but it's the most inconvenient place to get anywhere, having to go through Surin or Patong. Add to that it's reputation as Phuket's dog-poisoning centre (because of the religion of the locals) and in my opinion it is just an average Phuket beach.


Yes, kamala is considered by most to be the best beach town OVERALL.

 

Kata is indeed nice...but it is just another good beach on the west coast and nothing special.
 

Kata beach is relatively  small, and usually overcrowded because of its small size. Kata is also inconveniently further from Patong. In addition, Kata beach has far fewer amenities compared to Kamala beach.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No it's not. Kata beach is much more beautiful as are the northern beaches. They also don't have an unsightly resort built right on the beach, or those unsightly villas all crammed onto the

I'd also encourage you to come and take a look. I live in Patong, and with many of the condos mostly empty, some are struggling to pay for maintenance and upkeep. The pictures you see online may not r

Seems you don't know Phuket as well as you think you do. Kata 30 minutes from Patong? I don't think so.   "Most people in the know pick Kamala". If that was true then Kamala would be swamped

Best beach?
what criteria goes into choosing best?

 i had my daughter at BIS and than at QSI 2004-2012 the 60 kms drive/day was worth living in Kamala

Its a village, ( 75% of the pople thta live here were born here) there is a sense of community, there are enough restaurants, bars, markets, choices for food etc that you dont need leave.   Beach is nice ( ok, its not layan beach) BUT i prefer it cause there  are trees you can sit under to get out of the sun, Restaurants on the beach. 

Looking from  sea, the "resorts" cant even be seen, something one cant say about Patong  LOL
the view of the villas at either end can be sightly ugly but it is what it is.

 

Quote

....Rawai has more amenities than Kamala

what makes Kamala "better" is one has easy access to everything within  a 2-4 minute motorcycle ride; the beach, shopping, markets, bars, restaurants,varied  rentals from 6,000- 100,000 baht/month

 

to each their own, everyone lives where they feel is the "best" and it seems everyone here has their opinions so lets all be happy where we are>>   PHUKET

 

Kata noi, Nai harn are  nice beaches, but who would want to live there? 

 

FYI: the op is Moving here, not visiting as a tourist>

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

 

Who is "most"?

Let me guess. Other Kamala residents?

Seems that other long-stay expats don't agree with you.

 

Lets face it. Kamala beach was nice many many years ago but is now ugly......yes, ugly because of the aforementioned resort on the beach and all the shoe-box villas that look like a rash on the southern headland, which I notice you don't mention.

 

I have been talking about the actual beach. If you want to talk about better beach towns then Rawai has more amenities than Kamala. Also Nai Harn is at least a match for Kamala.

What does Kamala have that Kata doesn't? Kata beach is not just "another good beach". It is far more beautiful than Kamala.

Your posts reveal your bias.

 

Kata #2. Kamala #9.

https://www.phuket101.net/phuket-best-beaches/

 

Kata #2. Kamala #14

https://www.planetware.com/thailand/top-rated-beaches-in-phuket-tha-1-47.htm

 

Kata #1. Kamala not among the top ten.

https://www.hotels.com/go/thailand/best-phuket-beaches

 

So far, your opinion isn't shared.


You have gone way off topic. This is not about the best beach on Phuket.
 

The thread is about the OP who wants to find a place to live long-term in Phuket. Please try to stay on topic for the sake of the OP.

 

Most people are aware that Rawai is probably most suitable for people that have kids going to one of the international schools close to Rawai and they are comfortable driving to everything.

 

Kamala would probably be the best choice for anyone who does NOT have kids attending international schools.

 

As I already mentioned, Kata is indeed a pleasant little beach for a tourist on a short stay, but nothing really special.
 

For beach lovers who want to stay in Phuket long-term, Kamala beach is arguably as beautiful, or more beautiful, than Kata beach.


For long term residents, the Kamala beach town community also offers all the amenities within walking distance...and that convenience is priceless to most people. The relatively short drive from Kamala to Patong is also a huge bonus for entertainment seekers.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Best beach?
what criteria goes into choosing best?

 i had my daughter at BIS and than at QSI 2004-2012 the 60 kms drive/day was worth living in Kamala

Its a village, ( 75% of the pople thta live here were born here) there is a sense of community, there are enough restaurants, bars, markets, choices for food etc that you dont need leave.   Beach is nice ( ok, its not layan beach) BUT i prefer it cause there  are trees you can sit under to get out of the sun, Restaurants on the beach. 

Looking from  sea, the "resorts" cant even be seen, something one cant say about Patong  LOL
the view of the villas at either end can be sightly ugly but it is what it is.

 

what makes Kamala "better" is one has easy access to everything within  a 2-4 minute motorcycle ride; the beach, shopping, markets, bars, restaurants,varied  rentals from 6,000- 100,000 baht/month

 

to each their own, everyone lives where they feel is the "best" and it seems everyone here has their opinions so lets all be happy where we are>>   PHUKET

 

Kata noi, Nai harn are  nice beaches, but who would want to live there? 

 

FYI: the op is Moving here, not visiting as a tourist>


Well said zzzzz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:


You have gone way off topic. This is not about the best beach on Phuket.
 

The thread is about the OP who wants to find a place to live long-term in Phuket. Please try to stay on topic for the sake of the OP.

 

Most people are aware that Rawai is probably most suitable for people that have kids going to one of the international schools close to Rawai.

 

Kamala would probably be the best choice for anyone who does NOT have kids attending international schools.

 

As I already mentioned, Kata is indeed a pleasant little beach for a tourist on a short stay, but nothing really special.
 

Kamala beach is arguably as beautiful, or more beautiful, than Kata beach.


For long term residents, the Kamala beach town community also offers all the amenities within walking distance...and that convenience is priceless to most people. The relatively short drive from Kamala to Patong is also a huge bonus for entertainment seekers.

 

I think it was you that started this best beach BS and I responded.

No body on here, or on the lists links I have posted consider Kamala better than Kata. Just the opposite, so, no it isn't "arguably" anything. The results are in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

 

I think it was you that started this best beach BS and I responded.

No body on here, or on the lists links I have posted consider Kamala better than Kata. Just the opposite, so, no it isn't "arguably" anything. The results are in.


No again.

 

You are clearly the only person who drifted way-off topic and tried to make this a thread about ranking beaches. 

 

We are trying to help the OP find a place to live in Phuket. We are NOT trying to rank beaches.
 

We would all welcome your opinions if you stay on topic and try to help the OP with meaningful advice.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:


Yes, kamala is considered by most to be the best beach town OVERALL.

 

Kata is indeed nice...but it is just another good beach on the west coast and nothing special.
 

Kata beach is relatively  small, and usually overcrowded because of its small size. Kata is also inconveniently further from Patong. In addition, Kata beach has far fewer amenities compared to Kamala beach.

When you start with unproven claims many will be dissuaded from reading.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:


No again.

 

You are clearly the only person who drifted way-off topic and tried to make this a thread about ranking beaches. 

 

We are trying to help the OP find a place to live in Phuket. We are NOT trying to rank beaches.
 

We would all welcome your opinions if you stay on topic and try to help the OP with meaningful advice.

 

 

"We are trying to help the OP find a place to live in Phuket. We are NOT trying to rank beaches."

Then maybe you should refrain from claims that Kamala is the best beach.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"We are trying to help the OP find a place to live in Phuket. We are NOT trying to rank beaches."

Then maybe you should refrain from claims that Kamala is the best beach.


You need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

 

Nobody said Kamala was the “best beach”.

 

Please focus on the OP  original query, and stop the obsession with just ranking beaches.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly wouldn't recommend Kamala if you have a school run every day. The two exits through Cherng Talay to the north and Patong to the south are choked up in the mornings and evenings.

Any beach south of Patong are easier to get in and out of during rush hours.

 

If school and the ease of getting there is most important, then somewhere inland in the centre of the island has certain advantages. Being an island it takes a maximum of twenty minutes or less to get to a beach. You also don't have to put up with the thousands of tourists (during usual times) that also want to stay next to a beach. Also, as Old Croc has said, rents are cheaper and people friendlier away from the beaches.

Best way would be to come and look around the island yourself first.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

 

Who made you a mod?

 

Here is a post you made before I posted on this thread. Seems you're trying to gaslight people, or, you need to work on your own comprehension skills......

 

"Yup, you are correct". (after Old Croc's sarcastic remark).

 

"Most people would agree with you that Kamala beach is the best beach town overall on Phuket". 


Again, you don’t seem a to comprehend simple things. Not gaslighting, just facts based on what you have written here.
 

Nowhere does it mention which beach is “best.”

 

Please do start your own new thread if you want to focus on beach rankings.
 

This thread is about where may be beast to live long term in Phuket for the OP. We welcome your thoughts on that subject here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I certainly wouldn't recommend Kamala if you have a school run every day. The two exits through Cherng Talay to the north and Patong to the south are choked up in the mornings and evenings.

Any beach south of Patong are easier to get in and out of during rush hours.

 

If school and the ease of getting there is most important, then somewhere inland in the centre of the island has certain advantages. Being an island it takes a maximum of twenty minutes or less to get to a beach. You also don't have to put up with the thousands of tourists (during usual times) that also want to stay next to a beach. Also, as Old Croc has said, rents are cheaper and people friendlier away from the beaches.

Best way would be to come and look around the island yourself first.


Thank you to Karen Bravo for finally being on topic. 👏  

 

Why do you say that people have not been as “friendly” to you near the beaches. Could it have something to do with you, or is it their fault for being less “friendly”?

 

OP,

Pay no attention to Karen Bravo regarding friendliness of Phuket Islanders. Indeed, people are just as friendly near the beaches as anywhere else on Phuket, if you are also friendly to them.

 

In addition, rents can be very competitive/reasonable on the west coast if you take the time to look around. 
 

As mentioned earlier, if being able to walk and/or quickly drive to all amenities and the beach is important to you, focus on the west coast beach towns. Driving anywhere can be an absolute nightmare once the tourists come back post covid. That “20 minute drive” can easily turn into an hour drive at certain times of the day/week.

 

 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:


Yes, kamala is considered by most to be the best beach town OVERALL.

 

Kata is also inconveniently further from Patong. In addition, Kata beach has far fewer amenities compared to Kamala beach.

According to who?

Are you serious, what is at all inconvenient about not being next to patong?

What amenities does Kamala have that Kata doesn't?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, beechbum said:

According to who?

Are you serious, what is at all inconvenient about not being next to patong?

What amenities does Kamala have that Kata doesn't?


Ok, I will try to help you understand Phuket better, and this can help the OP as well....


Why is Kamala the best beach town to live long-term OVERALL? If you have read the TV Phuket forum threads on a regular basis over the years, you would have surely noticed a theme that most reasonable people in-the-know pick Kamala as the best beach town OVERALL to live(except for those who have kids going to international schools in the far south).

 

Convenience? Are you aware that Patong is a major global tourism hotspot? Kamala is only about 10 minutes drive to Patong. Kata is almost 30 minutes drive to Patong without traffic. Hence, If you are  like the majority of tourists and locals who enjoy sampling the nightlife/shopping/restaurants in a global hotspot, Kamala is a much more convenient base vs Kata.


More beach amenities in Kamala? Well if you look at Kata now, you may notice that almost everything is closed and its like a ghost-town. Whereas if you look at Kamala now, almost everything is open and the large amount of locals are out and about as usual. 
 

During normal times, Kata beach only has a couple of streetfood vendors and a single fenced-in large hotel spanning the entire length of the beach road. Kamala beach offers a large variety of streetfood/restaurants/bars/hotels at all different price ranges RIGHT ON THE BEACH, as well as the world famous Cafe Del Mar beach club. Many massage places on offer on the beach in Kamala as well. Kamala beach is so spacious and long that there are also plenty of places to find privacy, unlike the claustrophobic feeling one can get on small often-overcrowded beaches like Kata.

 

I’m here to help if there are more questions 🙂

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I too would like to move to Phuket from Bangkok but after several trips there I cannot find a condo for purchase that is affordable and well located and I am most interested in purchasing. However as far as renting there are more options and now is the time to lock in a lower rent. I like Kata and Karon the best. It's all a matter of taste so you'd have to go and see for yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Seems you don't know Phuket as well as you think you do. Kata 30 minutes from Patong? I don't think so.

 

"Most people in the know pick Kamala". If that was true then Kamala would be swamped by long term expats. There are far more resident expats that live in Rawai than Kamala.

 

You're funny.....


Kata-patong could be less than 30 minutes, or more,  Depending on the time of the day and high season vs low season.

 

It is indeed possible that more expats live in Rawai, likely because they have school age kids attending school down in that area or they work in that area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:


Kata-patong could be less than 30 minutes, or more,  Depending on the time of the day and high season vs low season.

 

It is indeed possible that more expats live in Rawai, likely because they have school age kids attending school down in that area or they work in that area.

 

1. Only if you're walking.

 

2. They are nearly all retirees (thought an expert on Phuket would know that), so schools don't come into it.

 

Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived here?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:


Ok, I will try to help you understand Phuket better, and this can help the OP as well....


Why is Kamala the best beach town to live long-term OVERALL? If you have read the TV Phuket forum threads on a regular basis over the years, you would have surely noticed a theme that most reasonable people in-the-know pick Kamala as the best beach town OVERALL to live(except for those who have kids going to international schools in the far south).

 

Convenience? Are you aware that Patong is a major global tourism hotspot? Kamala is only about 10 minutes drive to Patong. Kata is almost 30 minutes drive to Patong without traffic. Hence, If you are  like the majority of tourists and locals who enjoy sampling the nightlife/shopping/restaurants in a global hotspot, Kamala is a much more convenient base vs Kata.


More beach amenities in Kamala? Well if you look at Kata now, you may notice that almost everything is closed and its like a ghost-town. Whereas if you look at Kamala now, almost everything is open and the large amount of locals are out and about as usual. 
 

During normal times, Kata beach only has a couple of streetfood vendors and a single fenced-in large hotel spanning the entire length of the beach road. Kamala beach offers a large variety of streetfood/restaurants/bars/hotels at all different price ranges RIGHT ON THE BEACH, as well as the world famous Cafe Del Mar beach club. Many massage places on offer on the beach in Kamala as well. Kamala beach is so spacious and long that there are also plenty of places to find privacy, unlike the claustrophobic feeling one can get on small often-overcrowded beaches like Kata.

 

I’m here to help if there are more questions 🙂

Can only guess you're trying to be funny with "reasonable people in-the-know pick Kamala" because it actually highlights how not in the know you are.

If it takes you half an hour to get from Kata to Patong regardless of the season then a visit to central or Phuket town must be an overnight excursion for you.

Everyone wants to be in Kamala yet the beaches in Kata are overcrowded!

The common theme in your post is "contradiction".

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

 

1. Only if you're walking.

 

2. They are nearly all retirees (thought an expert on Phuket would know that), so schools don't come into it.

 

Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived here?

“Walking” as fast as a car drives? Doubtful.

 

Tons of working/retired expats with school age kids in  Rawai.  There are also lots of retirees in Kamala. “An expert” would know these things.

 

By the way....you never responded as to why you said the people living near the beaches are not friendly?

Edited by ChasingTheSun
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

“Walking” as fast as a car drives? Doubtful.

 

Tons of working/retired expats with school age kids in  Rawai.  There are also lots of retirees in Kamala. “An expert” would know these things.

 

By the way....you never responded as to why you said the people living near the beaches are not friendly?

 

The 30 minutes you quote shows you don't really know. It takes me 20 minutes driving from Chalong to Patong.

 

Many Thais come from all over Thailand to work in Phuket. They are there for the money only and usually aren't too polite going about it. They make up the majority of Thais on the West coast.

 

Anyway, you've lived here for how long?

 

I can remember when the roads to Kamala and Karon from Patong were being constructed. Before that, there was only one road out of Patong which the King had something to do with after hearing that a man carried his friend with a broken leg on his back two days to get to Phuket Town using the jungle trails. That was in the 50's.

 

I even lived in Kamala for a few months long ago. Too quiet and the call to prayer always woke me up and the beach wasn't as good as Kata and Kata Noi, so I moved.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i prefer kamala,

one of the main reasons is many of the locals that live here were born here and everyone looks out for everyone>> once they know ur staying they can be very friendly.  

 

Add in the beach, the restaurants on the beach, Big C, Tesco, Supercheap,  bars, ( for those that need a drink),  plenty of 7/11's, a few preschools and various choices of accommodations
 Wherever you are, you're never more than a 5 minute motorcycle ride from the center of town and beach

 

To each their own>>>
 

PS:
I do not think its the best beach and am dam thankful NOBODY agrees with me and stays in Kathu , Rawai and Nai Harn   🙂


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Can only guess you're trying to be funny with "reasonable people in-the-know pick Kamala" because it actually highlights how not in the know you are.

If it takes you half an hour to get from Kata to Patong regardless of the season then a visit to central or Phuket town must be an overnight excursion for you.

Everyone wants to be in Kamala yet the beaches in Kata are overcrowded!

The common theme in your post is "contradiction".

 


Do you even live in Phuket? LOL! 
 

You are coming across as an outsider who has visited once before and now thinks he’s an expert.

 

You obviously have no idea about travel times in phuket during normal non-covid times.
 

You don’t seem to know anything about Kata or Kamala beach either. Have you ever been to both beaches?

 

Kamala beach is probably 3-4 times the length of Kata beach, so you can stretch your legs with a nice long walk or find a nice place to relax.

 

Kata is also smothered with cheap guesthouses. Hardly anyone actually lives in Kata. Thats why Kata is a ghost-town now.

 

Kamala is a actually a mainly-Thai community of people who live there. There are hotels in Kamala, but most are 4/5 star. Thankfully, there are few of those low-end guesthouses like you see in Kata and Patong.


Unfortunately though, even more 5star hotels are coming every year to Kamala, so the beach is getting  busier each year. However, it is still very pleasant. Some call it “progress”.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, beechbum has probably lived here longer than you.

You are the one coming across as the newbie.

 

If Kamala is mainly a Thai community, where are all these expats that "are in the know?"

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Actually, beechbum has probably lived here longer than you.

You are the one coming across as the newbie.

ahh so its whose been here the longest  LOL

ok, i moved to phuket  in 85,  so what?  does that make me an expert?   NOPE

 

PS: no road to Karon, BUT there was the old road to Kamala 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

 

Obviously, I can walk faster than you drive. It takes me 20 minutes driving from Chalong to Patong.

 

Many Thais come from all over Thailand to work in Phuket. They are there for the money only and usually aren't too polite going about it. They make up the majority of Thais on the West coast.

 

Anyway, you've lived here for how long?

 

I can remember when the roads to Kamala and Karon from Patong were being constructed. Before that, there was only one road out of Patong which the King had something to do with after hearing that a man carried his friend with a broken leg on his back two days to get to Phuket Town using the jungle trails. That was in the 50's.

 

“It takes me 20 minutes driving from Chalong to Patong.”
- Only 20 minutes during peak hours of the normal high season in a car?You must be driving a flying car. As Joe Biden would say “cmon man!”.

 

“Many Thais come from all over Thailand to work in Phuket. They are there for the money only and usually aren't too polite going about it. They make up the majority of Thais on the West coast.”

- Its interesting that you feel that way about about Thais. i wonder if others on the thread feel that way, and thats why they also chose to live in Rawai. I have found Thais to be very friendly/polite everywhere i have visited in Thailand, but maybe thats only because I am also very friendly/polite to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...