Stem Cell Treatment

OJsimpson

1 hour ago, OJsimpson said:

I'm looking into getting a treatment for my knees at the Stem Cell Treatment Center in Bangkok

Yer I went to visit the BKK one about 2 years ago--- didn't have anything done, I think I started a posting about it, and after our resident cat lady commented on it I decided to give it a miss.

Stem cell treatment for joint disease is still in extremely early experimental stages and not approved as a treatment in Thailand nor in most other countries.

The Thai Food and Drug Administration has regulated the use of stem cells since 2009 after there were some horrific deaths as a result of their use. Stem cells are permitted for use in conditions were the benefit has been proven, such as leukemia and other blood diseases. Other than that, only in approved clinical research which has been approved by national regulatory committees.

Any clinic offering it otherwise is operating against medical council regulations. A fact which should give considerable pause.  See https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/certain-clinics-in-thailand-offering-fraudulent-stem-cell-treatments

You should  be careful not to fall victim to quack or fake treatments.    If you really want to try this, best to do it either in a country where it is an approved therapy or in the context of an approved clinical trial. (These have their dangers too, and may not work, but at least the risks will be fully explained. In addition treatment is usually free. Also, the treatment given will be as described which is often not the case in unregulated stem cell clinics in Thailand).

Hi Sheryl,  Thanks so much for your feedback and the info. you send about this treatment.  My situation is, I'm Canadian and Health Canada has not approved stem cell treatments at this time.  Stem Cell therapy is available in the U.S. at a cost of about $20,000 U.S.D per knee.  And as you mentioned, fraudulent clinics are popping up all over the place.  I thought I'd look into it while I'm here in Thailand.  The Stem Cell Treatment Center in Bangkok has a pretty fancy and extensive web sight and looks pretty legitimate.  Although anyone can put together a fancy web sight.

I corresponded with them and my first step in this process would be to get an MRI scan and send it to them for evaluation, to ascertain if their treatment would actually help me.  An MRI scan in Canada would be free but with a waiting time of about a year.  To get faster results it would cost about $1500 CAD.  I haven't yet priced out an MRI here at one of our local hospitals.

After evaluation of the MRI, I could get an idea of the cost of the treatment and it may turn out to be cost prohibitive.

At this time, in Canada they would recommend a full knee replacement.  Although the technology has been getting better, I just can't bring myself to voluntarily subject myself to a 6 or 7 month recuperation period per knee.

Thanks again for your feedback.  I'll definitely remain skeptical.

45 minutes ago, OJsimpson said:

Hi Sheryl,  Thanks so much for your feedback and the info. you send about this treatment.  My situation is, I'm Canadian and Health Canada has not approved stem cell treatments at this time.  Stem Cell therapy is available in the U.S. at a cost of about $20,000 U.S.D per knee.  And as you mentioned, fraudulent clinics are popping up all over the place.  I thought I'd look into it while I'm here in Thailand.  The Stem Cell Treatment Center in Bangkok has a pretty fancy and extensive web sight and looks pretty legitimate.  Although anyone can put together a fancy web sight.

I corresponded with them and my first step in this process would be to get an MRI scan and send it to them for evaluation, to ascertain if their treatment would actually help me.  An MRI scan in Canada would be free but with a waiting time of about a year.  To get faster results it would cost about $1500 CAD.  I haven't yet priced out an MRI here at one of our local hospitals.

After evaluation of the MRI, I could get an idea of the cost of the treatment and it may turn out to be cost prohibitive.

At this time, in Canada they would recommend a full knee replacement.  Although the technology has been getting better, I just can't bring myself to voluntarily subject myself to a 6 or 7 month recuperation period per knee.

Thanks again for your feedback.  I'll definitely remain skeptical.

As explained, this clinic is operating outside Thai Medical Council guidelines and against Thai law.  Keep that in mind.

No guarantee that would you would receive are actually human stem cells.

Have you tried HA injections?

"HA injections"?  I'm not sure what they are but a couple years ago before one of my trips to Asia, I was visiting my knee doctor, who had done an arthroscopic procedure on one of my knees some years back, and he gave me injections in both knees.....He called it a "grease job".  For me, it did absolutely nothing.

No harm in trying. 

1 hour ago, OJsimpson said:

"HA injections"?  I'm not sure what they are but a couple years ago before one of my trips to Asia, I was visiting my knee doctor, who had done an arthroscopic procedure on one of my knees some years back, and he gave me injections in both knees.....He called it a "grease job".  For me, it did absolutely nothing.

No harm in trying. 

That was likely HA.

Synovsic, which now a=has a new forumulation called Synvisc-One   https://www.synviscone.com/

Best knee doctor in Thailand is Dr Panya at Bumrungrad

Besides HA, another non surgical option though still considered experimental is PRP (platlet rich plasma).  This is available at several hospitals. Can be costly, last I heard Pra Ram 9 Hospital was the best cost wise in bangkok, thsi doctor https://www.praram9.com/en/doctors/dr-nuttavut-phaisinsomboon/

• 2 weeks later...

We have  the medical wellness in Phuket for stemcell therapy. 

Our doctor have the experience and we use MSC stemcell from certified laboratory.

if you want to get more information and other optional for holiday retreat please contact me.

It would be great to sharing information for you.

Edited by Sheryl
telephone number removed by Moderator