What processed food do you eat, which one do you avoid, are you also convinced that processed food kills ?

salsajapan

hi, I often meet healthy old men who never eat any processed food. As a old man, do you also agree that processed food is one of the worst thing for health ?

So, which ones do you eat and which ones you avoid ?

Is frozen chicken from the supermarket processed food ? or can we consider that it's just regular chicken that has been frozen, and consider it healthy ?

What about bread ?

I guess that the ultimate rule is to only eat what you make yourself, but this rule is a bit difficult to apply daily, what do you think ?

thank you.

I use to like many processed foods and would eat much from 7-11.

My age has caught up with me along with gout and gallbladder problems developing so don't eat much chicken now but can a little but it has to be skin & fat free because of the gout.

The gallbladder problem has put me on vegetables and fruits diat only. 

Wholemeal bread not white.

Toast and marmite or peanut butter. 

Drink lots more water with lemon. 

Milk is a no no so I eat musley with fruit yogurt. 

I do still miss what I called convieniance food rather processed. ????????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

It's a good question, what exactly is processed food?

Does that dry aged steak count as being processed?

A cheese?

Things like ham, bacon and perhaps sausages where nitrates are used get a lot of stick but I think it's mostly over the top.

If I take a chicken and run it through some kind of MRM type grinder / extruder / mixer contraption whilst adding various herbs and spices then form small shaped chicken pieces and freeze them dipped in a fine batter (chicken nuggets) does it turn a good piece of chicken into a bad piece of chicken?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I use to like many processed foods and would eat much from 7-11.

My age has caught up with me along with gout and gallbladder problems developing so don't eat much chicken now but can a little but it has to be skin & fat free because of the gout.

The gallbladder problem has put me on vegetables and fruits diat only. 

Wholemeal bread not white.

Toast and marmite or peanut butter. 

Drink lots more water with lemon. 

Milk is a no no so I eat musley with fruit yogurt. 

I do still miss what I called convieniance food rather processed. ????????

If you could go back, would you try to eat better food when younger ? do you think that it can really help when aging ?

1 minute ago, salsajapan said:

If you could go back, would you try to eat better food when younger ? do you think that it can really help when aging ?

Well depends on what young age, all I remember is I couldn't leave the table until I eat my vegetables.

Later on an older it was beer, eating a tin of cold bake beans out the can, a pork pie and you was all good to go. 

I wouldn't think about aging being the person I am, was, when I was younger I was inviciable it was exceptable to smoke and drink at the time but I never did other drugs.

As for taking care when you're young I would say it would be good thing if one really thought about getting older.  

That said everyone has various genes and different metabolisms, I guess all I've done is listened to my body. 

I pack up smoking because of coughing and as I got older eased up drinking spirits.

I get my health checked every 4 months at our local govt hospital. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Kwasaki said:

Sukhothai New City Govt hospital it's good to know at my age what you're kidneys, liver, prostate, gallbladder and heart,  blood pressure etc are doing cause I can't see em. 

how much for checkup there please ?

On 2/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well depends on what young age, all I remember is I couldn't leave the table until I eat my vegetables.

Later on an older it was beer, eating a tin of cold bake beans out the can, a pork pie and you was all good to go. 

I wouldn't think about aging being the person I am, was, when I was younger I was inviciable it was exceptable to smoke and drink at the time but I never did other drugs.

As for taking care when you're young I would say it would be good thing if one really thought about getting older.  

That said everyone has various genes and different metabolisms, I guess all I've done is listened to my body. 

I pack up smoking because of coughing and as I got older eased up drinking spirits.

I get my health checked every 4 months at our local govt hospital. 

moderation is the key I think 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

how much for checkup there please ?

You have to register with the hospital. 

I am with a Asthma clinic within the hospital and my check ups are now down to every 4months and my 4 months meds supply is about 1,200 baht. 

I don't feel like I have Asthma now but still take inhaler.

X-ray's, blood tests, 200 baht. Extra when doctor wants either and is ordered for the next visit.  

ECG can't remember not much. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

Anybody is drinking soy milk ? I am wondering if it's really healthy ?

even lactasoy seems not bad on food facts app, only 1 preservative ?

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/8850267900153

Usually depends how much sugar is in it. I think Lactosoy is loaded with sugar, unless you get the low sugar version.

You can buy the low or no sugar soy milk but IMO it just doesn't taste very nice. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Usually depends how much sugar is in it. I think Lactosoy is loaded with sugar, unless you get the low sugar version.

You can buy the low or no sugar soy milk but IMO it just doesn't taste very nice. 

this one is unsweetened and has A as nutriscore, so it should be good

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/8850267900146/

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

another champion !!!!

100% almond milk ? don't you feel ridiculous ?

almond milk is 99% water and 1% almond !!!

no wonder why big companies keep cheating people who perfectly know nothing and are so proud of it !!!

1 hour ago, Michaelaway said:

The brands I like are 100% pure almond milk. IMO, 99 baht for 1L is not expensive, especially when you compare the taste & health benefits to soy milk. But, we all should buy & consume whatever we like.

Doesn't almond milk have far less protein than soy or normal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:
The 7 Healthiest Milk Options
  1. Hemp milk...
  2. Oat milk. ...
  3. Almond milk. ...
  4. Coconut milk. ...
  5. Cow's milk. ...
  6. A2 milk. ...
  7. Soy milk.

Found it hard to believe, but saw a programme about mare's milk, apparently horse milk is all the rage in Belgium and Italy, who'd have thought..............

• Haha 1