Sin sod query

Clive

Mister T and Thailand Ryan cover it all,, with confirmation from some others..     If  and thats a big IF,   you marry  one  with a degree, a steady, respectable job, and from a good family,  they should, and would normally return any sin sod  you gave, it being   purely for show.

Do not, ever,  build near    your partners family, or on land they profess to own.

• Like 1

When you think about it Sin Sod is going to probably cost you less than most wedding in the west.

The overall cost of a wedding has increased significantly during the period, rising from an average of 20,020 British Pounds in 2009 to more than 32,000 British Pounds in 2018.
Thats  about 1.3 million Thb. So why would a Sin Sod of around 200000Thb be a problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes it is still a widely practiced custom.  There is no normal price though.  It depends on the circumstances.  It can be anywhere from zero to millions.  And as some have already said often the money is returned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, CharlieH said:

The short answer is ZERO - Whatever the family feels they can get away with.

Personally I didnt and wouldnt pay a penny.

Each to their own and their individual relationship.

When my now wife came back here after staying in Aus with me for 3 months she told her mother that we go married there and will be no wedding in Thailand hence NO SIN SOD back luck i would never pay anyway she had already been married and divorced at least once .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

On the other hand, an older woman is more mature, more humbled by her experiences, more aiming to please, likely speaks better English, is more likely to be loyal if you take care or her, since it's not as easy for her to just hop to another guy.

So your best advice is to find a Thai woman nobody else would want to bed?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, Morch said:

Just to give a less gloomy angle - sometimes the sinsod bit is for show (or good luck, tradition, whatever). The groom gives the agreed upon sinsod to bride's parents, who in turn give it back to the newlywed couple. Sure, there are also sinsod-goes-wrong stories involving greedy parents/family, but I think overall it's not that common to mess with wedding money etc.

Mrs. Morch's parents and family never brought it up before we got married. I think the above version was part of her two younger siblings' weddings, but more like in a tradition/fun kinda way.

As other said, depends on many things, and if you don't feel comfortable with it, just don't. It's not a must.

Why do u need to get in a permenant  relationship or marriage anyway.stay single much cheaper

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

When you think about it Sin Sod is going to probably cost you less than most wedding in the west.

The overall cost of a wedding has increased significantly during the period, rising from an average of 20,020 British Pounds in 2009 to more than 32,000 British Pounds in 2018.
Thats  about 1.3 million Thb. So why would a Sin Sod of around 200000Thb be a problem?

That is the cost of the stupid party. It's up to the couple how much they want to waste.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

When I met my missus (her parents already dead), I told her not to let her extended family up-north know she has a Falang BF, she has kept to that for 10yrs+

Wow. Nicely done! You’d be enjoying the happiest marriage in Thailand no doubt ????

• Like 2

Sin sod is a family matter. If the family feels they can milk you for money. Any amount can be said... If the family wants the woman to be loved and provided for.. they will return the sin sod to you on wedding day.  My Thai family put all the sin sod under our wedding bed.. we showed 400,000 baht and 4 baht of gold. All returned to us. If the Thai family is asked my for sin sod alot and wants to keep it. Then perhaps you can expect you or new wife will be always sending them lots of money. Best to marry into a family that views you as a husband instead of an atm machine. Good luck

Thais don't pay sinsod for second hand wives. My maid was able to pick up sinsod for her daughter the second time but the groom was not from their part of the country and I don't think he realised she had been married before as she was still only about 20 the second time and had no kids. She got 30k from both husbands but both times the couple borrowed more than that from her and never paid it back. The second marriage lasted only bout a year and now the daughter has a 5 year old kid that she has no interest in and no prospects of a decent marriage. That is about par for the course sadly.

Thais have a big expectation of sinsod especially from foreigners and will tell you lots of stories about girls from poor families who got millions.  If she has been married before, specially if she has children, you can politely remind them of their own custom of avoiding the double jeopardy of paying sin sod twice.  If she is fairly young and not married before adn without children, you are going to have to bargain it with insistence this is alien to your  culture.  If you can't get to zero or a number you are satisfied with be prepared to walk away.  I gave something to Mrs Dog after fierce bargaining and was all gone in a few months on God knows what.  

Sometimes you can show money for face and it is given to your wife afterwards.  Some families of good financial standing like to do that to show they don't need the groom's money.

• Haha 1