Can I buy a house in Thailand in my 12 year old child's name?

bushman1666

On 2/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, BritManToo said:

It's usually a conspiracy between mom and the land office where this happens.

Children are clearly allowed to own land and property under Thai law, although the named adult appointed 'manager' must be by mutual consent of both parents.

I once was allowed to overhear a telephone conversation where two foreign grandparents wanted to put a house they were buying in their Thai grand-daughters name. They hired a Thai lawyer, who promptly phoned mom (Thai lady who let me listen in) and the lawyer said, "we can both make money from this". Thai lawyers are shockingly corrupt., and rarely work in the best interests of their foreign employers.

someone has been reading too many Christopher Moore novels

35 minutes ago, bojo said:

A Thai national can own property in their own name since the day they were born. Dual nationality is just a red herring...................they are still a Thai national

Indeed. When I buy land, my British citizenship has got absolutely nothing to do with it.

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense.

Absolutely not nonsense. As I have already written before, I was an interpretor in Thai Juvenile courts some 10 years and I was shocked seeing and hearing how biased Thai lawyers were. First hand information. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

someone has been reading too many Christopher Moore novels

So tell me your own first hand experience and if you can't, stop acting as if you do. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, Neeranam said:

Better we put our big boy pants on and have a healthy debate. 

Totally agree, yet making statements like "It's really tiresome to read all the WRONG information put forward by ignorant posters." is not called for. Being polite is the way to go

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 4:47 AM, MikeyIdea said:

Absolutely not nonsense. As I have already written before, I was an interpretor in Thai Juvenile courts some 10 years and I was shocked seeing and hearing how biased Thai lawyers were. First hand information. 

Are you Thai? I also work as an interpreter. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Are you Thai? I also work as an interpreter. 

Why would I be a Thai? Juvenile court accept foreign interpretors and I would advise that you use a foreigner if you need one in a Thai court, or at least a Thai interpretor who has never met "the opposite side" or your lawyer. Thai interpretors are also biased but from what I have seen, not as often as Thai lawyers. It is still not acceptable.

First hand experience again. I "corrected" the Thai interpretor on what a judge said for a Brit myself a couple of times in a court appearance, it was easy to see that the lawyer disliked it. The Thai interpretor didn't interpret much after that... That Brit asked me to be his interpretor next time and I was.   

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
I am reading this post about Thai minor being able to buy land/house

I tried that, buying for my child, a house

Land department of Samut Prakarn threw  section 1574 at me

they need the court's approval

I could ask that (divorced)

but does my ex-wife still consent with this, as she is also a guarding, but an absent one never visits the child, does pay for only government school fee, that is it, nothing else...

I would love to get sole custody, but that is another unicorn on its own

if after court's approval, I still need ex-wife's consent, than I better save myself the trouble

as I lost the deposit on a house, as my ex-wife said it was not her problem

I knew I could not sell the land without court's approval, if child would have had a house/land

but not the being GIFTED a house by me, with my money...

• 2 months later...

Can somebody help me with this: we just wanted to buy some land on our child’s name. The person who own the land showed me the red chanote for the land already. On the back of the chanote it is recorded that he bought this land 25 year ago from somebody else. But on the front of the chanote there is still the name from the first owner of the land. Is this normal and why is this not possible to change this name on the front and put the actual owner inside there?

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

Read all the thread 

this is my story 

Im divorced and have 2kids,

I have sole custody 

one is 20 other is 17

my plan is now to buy a house in their names and maybe add a usurfuct for myself 

is this possible ?

The 20 yr old ... yes, as considered an adult, and signature is legally binding.  17 yr old would still need a guardian for contracts ... I think.

image.png.b6dcdf43056e5b2ddc286fe11296a818.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The 20 yr old ... yes, as considered an adult, and signature is legally binding.  17 yr old would still need a guardian for contracts ... I think.

image.png.b6dcdf43056e5b2ddc286fe11296a818.png

As I know, to put in child’s name I’ve been told if they’re underage, you will need a guardian over 20 , so why can’t the eldest be the said guardian?

On 2/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, the green light said:

she is under age. she cannot own land.

you can go to a lawyer and do a buy lease program with your name.

why would you use your daughter.. you never know if she can turn out like her mother.

If you’re worried your kid will backstab you, you’ve done something wrong bro

14 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

As I know, to put in child’s name I’ve been told if they’re underage, you will need a guardian over 20 , so why can’t the eldest be the said guardian?

'legal guardian' ... which would be the parents of, till age 20.   The 20 yr can be the guardian, IF, mother, assuming ex, allows it, and would image that needs to be done with judication, or what ever they do here/TH.   

So back to square 1 with the 17 yr old.   How many houses do you plan on buying ????

You could buy 2 in the 20 yr old's name, and then transfer one to the 17 yr old, when reaching 20 yrs old.

Or simply rent, or buy a condo.  Far safer since you actually have to ask.  

Good Luck.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Apiwan2, kudos to you for thinking about the future of your kids; it's a commendable step. Buying a house in their names is indeed an idea worth exploring, especially if you have sole custody and want to ensure their financial security.
However, there are several legal and financial complexities involved in buying a property in someone else's name while adding a usufruct for yourself.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, BillieWenders said:

Hey @Apiwan2, kudos to you for thinking about the future of your kids; it's a commendable step. Buying a house in their names is indeed an idea worth exploring, especially if you have sole custody and want to ensure their financial security.
However, there are several legal and financial complexities involved in buying a property in someone else's name while adding a usufruct for yourself.

I'd highly recommend talking to real estate professionals who have experience with these kinds of arrangements. https://www.decosta.group/ is a resourceful agency that could guide you through the intricacies of this type of property purchase. They can provide you with tailored advice that considers all the factors, from tax implications to inheritance laws.

Edited by BillieWenders