CABB - experiences?

Kiujunn

Prices? 

Do they pick me up at a location in e.g. Samut Prakan or Nonthaburi?

Do they really show up? 

Can a 6-footer sit upright in their cars? 

Possible to open the windows? 

Does the partition between driver and passenger look virus-proof?

I called them and they were not sure whether the passenger can open the windows.

For me, that is a necessity.

They also said,  the price is the same as Grab - is that more or less true? According to YouTube,  2x the normal taxi fare. 

Edited by Kiujunn
  • Confused 2

It's a taxi service, so why would it not pick you up at your place, have you tried booking with them?  They will tell you if they can't accept your trip and they will tell you what the fare will be.   Grab Taxi's rates are not double normal taxi rates.

Why would a "six-footer" not be able to sit upright in a taxi that is designed on London cab specs and is taller than a normal Toyota taxi that six-footers can easily sit upright in without a problem?

The cabs have switches for opening and closing the windows, why would it not be possible to open them?

Why would anyone claim that any partition, in any circumstance, is "virus proof"?   Are normal taxis virus proof?  I wouldn't worry about it, though, as long as you wear your mask the driver will be as safe as it's possible to be from your infecting him.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

It's a taxi service, so why would it not pick you up at your place, have you tried booking with them?  They will tell you if they can't accept your trip and they will tell you what the fare will be.   Grab Taxi's rates are not double normal taxi rates.

I have been charged double on a few Grab rides, but typically it is more like a 50% premium.

12 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Why would anyone claim that any partition, in any circumstance, is "virus proof"?   Are normal taxis virus proof?  I wouldn't worry about it, though, as long as you wear your mask the driver will be as safe as it's possible to be from your infecting him.

And be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after you exit. Every Grab and taxi driver I have ridden with was very good about wearing a mask. Given the relatively low number of infected in Thailand, I think the risk is relatively low. If you are truly concerned, try to wear the best mask available to you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

I called them and they were not sure whether the passenger can open the windows.

For me, that is a necessity.

Might want to take a tuktuk then. A cab driver trying to stay cool with the Ac on might not appreciate a passenger wanting windows down.

• Like 2

Now I have watched a lot of promotional YouTube videos of CABB. This answered some of my questions. 

But they avoid showing their cars next to normal cars,  and the staff in the videos are always short, even for Thai standards. 

I cannot sit upright in a normal Bangkok taxi,  are CABB higher? 

In the videos,  there is a gap (for payment) in the partition between driver and passenger. Can this gap be closed during the trip?

(I come from a covid-free country - where everybody is scared to death seeing the international news - and I have seen quite a bit of careless behaviour here in Bangkok)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Now I have watched a lot of promotional YouTube videos of CABB. This answered some of my questions. 

But they avoid showing their cars next to normal cars,  and the staff in the videos are always short, even for Thai standards. 

I cannot sit upright in a normal Bangkok taxi,  are CABB higher? 

In the videos,  there is a gap (for payment) in the partition between driver and passenger. Can this gap be closed during the trip?

(I come from a covid-free country - where everybody is scared to death seeing the international news - and I have seen quite a bit of careless behaviour here in Bangkok)

Have you seen the movie No Country for Fussy Old Men? The dubbed version is just as good as the original Thai.

• Like 1

I can only presume the OP is in an extremely high risk  for Covid with lots of underlying condition. I would suggest if thats the case that you should avoid going out at all. if you do need to go out the CABB will be the least of your worries.

I see a lot of the CABB around where i live. They look identical (presumably as they are) to London CABBS. If they are then London Cabs have partition but it is not designed to be virus free, its just designed to give some vocal privacy for the driver and the passengers.

Size wise i dont really understand the question as a 6 footer (unless we are talking very very tall) can sit up straight in a normal taxi, but a CABB is more roomy so obviously no problem there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, timendres said:
22 hours ago, Matreusse said:

And be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after you exit. Every Grab and taxi driver I have ridden with was very good about wearing a mask. Given the relatively low number of infected in Thailand, I think the risk is relatively low. If you are truly concerned, try to wear the best mask available to you.

I don't have any concerns, it's the OP you should be addressing!

14 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

I cannot sit upright in a normal Bangkok taxi, 

Why not?  A normal Bangkok taxi is a Corolla, how tall are you exactly, you said you were six feet tall (a six-footer).   I am 6' 2" and have no problem sitting normally in the back of a Corolla neither does a colleague who is 6'4".

CABB taxis are, very obviously, not going to have less headroom than a normal taxi so what's your problem?

I can easily see over the molehill you're deliberately and disingenuously making a mountain out of.

Please stop insulting me.

People who don't have answers to my questions need not reply. 

Are you paid by CABB?

I am tall and cannot sit upright in a normal Bangkok taxi. 

Maybe some people don't know the meaning of the word "upright".

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

They look identical (presumably as they are) to London CABBS.

The only informatiive answer so far. Thx.

BTW they are not London cabs, they are Geely (a Chinese car maker) cars, according to their company they are produced in Thailand.  They are "in the style of London cabs" (company info).

It looks like nobody here has actually ever used a CABB.

If someone has I would really be interested to hear his experience. 

Edited by Kiujunn

If you don't know how big the CABBS are, and all they show in the clips is the CABB and the people, how can you tell the people in the clips are short, did you recognize some of them?

The CABBs are pretty spacious, and the windows roll down but they are controlled by the driver. Do you speak Thai? If not, you want to have  a Thai friend write a note telling the driver to roll the windows down.  

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

Please stop insulting me.

I am tall and cannot sit upright in a normal Bangkok taxi. 

Maybe some people don't know the meaning of the word "upright".

No one has insulted you and everyone knows the meaning of sitting upright.   

Some people are confused, though, by your claim, as a six-footer, not to be able to sit upright in Bangkok taxis that other people, much taller than you, have no problem with. 

Perhaps you should just check out CABBS for yourself and refrain from insulting other posters by suggesting that some of us don't know the meaning of the simple and easily understood phrases, "six feet tall" and "sitting upright".

Edited by Matreusse

On 2/15/2021 at 11:28 AM, Kiujunn said:

Prices? 

I used a CABB taxi an hour ago. The price for my distance was very similar to a standard taxi, being 54 baht for about a 2km journey; We caught the taxi from the designated CABB taxi stand outside Gourmet Market Emquartier, Sukh Soi 35; I'm 180 cm tall and had at least another 15 cm before my head would touch the ceiling of the vehicle whilst seated in an upright position (sitting with a reclining posture would be difficult given style of seat in the vehicle) ; There were buttons on the inside fo the door for opening the window although we chose to continue using the aircon and kept the windows closed; The perspex partition is substantial although there is a small gap for arranging payment, and they did not accept cash, with payment being made efficiently through iBanking app on my wife's phone.

Edited by mark5335
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

I used a CABB taxi an hour ago. The price for my distance was very similar to a standard taxi, being 54 baht for about a 2km journey; We caught the taxi from the designated CABB taxi stand outside Gourmet Market Emquartier, Sukh Soi 35; I'm 180 cm tall and had at least another 15 cm before my head would touch the ceiling of the vehicle whilst seated in an upright position (sitting with a reclining posture would be difficult given style of seat in the vehicle) ; There were buttons on the inside fo the door for opening the window although we chose to continue using the aircon and kept the windows closed; The perspex partition is substantial although there is a small gap for arranging payment, and they did not accept cash, with payment being made efficiently through iBanking app on my wife's phone.

Thanks a lot.

So the gap in the partition cannot be closed during the trio3? 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Thanks a lot.

So the gap in the partition cannot be closed during the trio3? 

Take some cling film and sellotape with you and close up the tiny hole in case the driver - who is facing forwards and wearing a mask - decides to turn around, take his mask off, put his head to the gap and sneeze through it.  You can't take risks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Matreusse said:

Why not?  A normal Bangkok taxi is a Corolla, how tall are you exactly, you said you were six feet tall (a six-footer).   I am 6' 2" and have no problem sitting normally in the back of a Corolla neither does a colleague who is 6'4".

CABB taxis are, very obviously, not going to have less headroom than a normal taxi so what's your problem?

I can easily see over the molehill you're deliberately and disingenuously making a mountain out of.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  Everyone knows that six foot tall people become seven feet tall when they sit upright.  Google it!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

BTW they are not London cabs, they are Geely (a Chinese car maker) cars, according to their company they are produced in Thailand.  They are "in the style of London cabs" (company info).

Geely make London cabs.  London cabs are Geelys.  They're Geely good.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

You, for once,  obviously don't know what "upright" means. 

You need a picture?

Please Google it yourself,  I asked you not to answer anymore. 

You're posting on a public forum, I'll comment if I choose to, thanks.   

Yes, a picture of you sitting upright and being unable to do so in a Bangkok taxi would help a lot of commenters here to understand your problem.  Thank you.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, Kiujunn said:

If anybody has to say something useful,  answering my questions in OP, that will be appreciated

Seems that you missed a few answers...

Do they pick me up at a location in e.g. Samut Prakan or Nonthaburi?     

Answered already, yes, they're a taxi service

Do they really show up?  

Answered already, yes, they're a taxi service.

Answered already, yes.

Answered already, yes.

There's no such thing as a virus-proof partition, whether it looks virus-proof is purely subjective.