Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

How to evict Tokai geckos without demolishing house?


Recommended Posts

We have 3 or 4 Tokai geckos (the loud "Oh-Oh" ones) that have taken up residence in our ground floor ceiling void gaining entrance under the concrete tiled eaves of a little feature roof. The void is around 350mm but with concrete beams in a grid supporting the upper floor and walls. They had been quiet and no problem so we'd left them alone but the sound of lizard claws rattling across the ceiling has got our 4 large house dogs wound up and that keeps us awake at night with their howls and barking.

 

In the past we have had rats - easily trapped with a bit of oyster-sauce flavoured pork as bait - and snakes - evicted with a can of Chaindrite sprayed liberally into the void. This has also been seen to work with the Geckos as they came out under the tiled eaves. We do try to seal up holes but some are inaccessible above fragile roofs. I was nearly killed when a roof collapsed under me causing considerable injuries so no one is allowed up there now.

 

How can I drive these little buggers out? I read that it can be a chore, anyone else had success or is it a powerful torch job head and shoulders up the access hatches and target practice with a BB gun?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've done pretty much all of that, extensions, re-wiring, all new windows, all new bathrooms (4) and redecorated. The little arched "bumps" in the tiles sitting on the fascia of the low-level feature roof projections are a design weak point, allowing small creatures to squeeze in. Unfortunately we have 1st floor roofs abutting just under the fascia line that are Sheera roof sheets which prevent safe access and although we had sealed up the sealing has been chewed away in places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

We have 3 or 4 Tokai geckos (the loud "Oh-Oh" ones) that have taken up residence in our ground floor ceiling void gaining entrance under the concrete tiled eaves of a little feature roof. The void is around 350mm but with concrete beams in a grid supporting the upper floor and walls. They had been quiet and no problem so we'd left them alone but the sound of lizard claws rattling across the ceiling has got our 4 large house dogs wound up and that keeps us awake at night with their howls and barking.

 

In the past we have had rats - easily trapped with a bit of oyster-sauce flavoured pork as bait - and snakes - evicted with a can of Chaindrite sprayed liberally into the void. This has also been seen to work with the Geckos as they came out under the tiled eaves. We do try to seal up holes but some are inaccessible above fragile roofs. I was nearly killed when a roof collapsed under me causing considerable injuries so no one is allowed up there now.

 

How can I drive these little buggers out? I read that it can be a chore, anyone else had success or is it a powerful torch job head and shoulders up the access hatches and target practice with a BB gun?

Try 25 bottles of Baygon! 🤣 If only enough, it will kill everything.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Try 25 bottles of Baygon! 🤣 If only enough, it will kill everything.

Chaindrite stinks worse than Baygon, it somehow filters down and the whole house stinks of it. We are coughing and spluttering and sneezing, just hoping it makes the geckos clear off, a whole large can in a shallow void must make the air pretty choking! What is in Baygon that is more effective than Chaindrite? I drove out snakes and Tokai before with Chaindrite but I'm open to offers. Shooting with BB will wound but not kill and both of us are adverse to that.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As said we have 3 big Thai dogs and one medium UK dog. The biggest of the Thai dogs has the weight and build of a GSD and looks like a golden long-haired,  the other two look like Dobermans. They are house dogs, live in the house, not banished to the yard or garden like many Thai dogs or even left out on the street. They are brilliant house-dogs and anyone coming close to the gate evinces a frantic hysterical response. Imagine the reaction to a noise in THEIR house over their heads? I don't disagree about the insects but cockroaches are controlled with fat/flour/sugar/Borax balls in the manholes and are a rarity seen above ground, other insects are controlled by the little house geckos of which we have many pooping over the walls. It's the big ones in the ceiling causing the disturbances!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll try that. My wife did chuck some small ones up there a while ago but they don't last too long. Maybe bigger ones will do better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Chaindrite stinks worse than Baygon, it somehow filters down and the whole house stinks of it. We are coughing and spluttering and sneezing, just hoping it makes the geckos clear off, a whole large can in a shallow void must make the air pretty choking! What is in Baygon that is more effective than Chaindrite? I drove out snakes and Tokai before with Chaindrite but I'm open to offers. Shooting with BB will wound but not kill and both of us are adverse to that.

 

It was more of a joke. Baygon is the same as you kill all the bugs with, but I can imagine it can kill humans too in larger doses. 😉

However, I salute you for not wanting to kill them. A very good thing. I guess you are doing what you can and Chaindrite might just work. 🙂 Good Luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I used the little white balls that you use for the mens toilets smells like moth ball or camphor ball you can buy them in the markets very cheap I just throw a handful into that roof space it gives of a vapour that put off rats, mice, and many other critters it's worth a try, it worked for me. I hope it helps

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Mothballs (naphthalene balls) seem to discourage most wildlife if you can get them into the space.

 

Get the big ones from makro and put them in cloth bags on fishing line so you can get them out again once the beasties have moved out.

Yes I tried this and worked for me I did the same but used old sock with the big ball in and again a little fishing line as I didn't fancy walking around up there, and like you said you can pull the socks or bags back to refill if you had to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are pretty fearless buggers, this is what I do. Wait till your least favorite neighbor is away on a meal or something.  Grab a kitchen towel and sneak up on them slowly. Again very slowly come from behind and grab the tookay in the torso. He will open his mouth and look scary but the don’t squirm much once grabbed. Quickly run out and put the tookay on your neighbors house. Repeat. Keep un screened windows closed next few nights. Problem solved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Understand your desire not to kill them, but you may not have a choice.  It would be different if they were endangered.  So I'll just offer up the solution that they used in Saudi Arabia....glue boards.     One other idea, how about that canned spray foam to fill the voids. 

You may not like either suggestion, but I figured you deserved at least one more non-flippant response.    😀

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this repellent spray on Lazada, which seemed to do the trick. It smells of lemon grass so now I just buy the (cheaper) lemon grass mosquito repellent. Spray on where the lizard/gecko walks.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nogecko-200-gecko-lizard-chase-repellent-100-i2004574841-s6448446499.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.45d2449fm6A3E1&search=1&freeshipping=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/puregreen-120-mosquito-spray-puregreen-120ml-lemongrass-i1496476755-s3947570303.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!3947570303!256075268&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSq6J7_p7SYWI8CsEJ9jKUzLdpyXM_-tI_6fB0j33onJ_Chcd_vmId8aAiBsEALw_wcB

Link to post
Share on other sites

eh! yes, madisongy, in saudi arabia they like to practice sharia law.
The more suffering there is, the more it amuses them.
Maybe you'd like to be glued to a panel, and wiggle around.
Geckos are active at night and only a flashlight surprises them.
Try patience, get a dip net, turn on the lamp and try to catch them.
They are very fond, too, of pieces of bread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

falling thru fragile potentially asbestos roof tiles is more of a problem than some little tokays! 😮   Hope you've recovered from the fall with no lasting effects... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cliveshep said:

We have 3 or 4 Tokai geckos (the loud "Oh-Oh" ones) that have taken up residence in our ground floor ceiling void gaining entrance under the concrete tiled eaves of a little feature roof. The void is around 350mm but with concrete beams in a grid supporting the upper floor and walls. They had been quiet and no problem so we'd left them alone but the sound of lizard claws rattling across the ceiling has got our 4 large house dogs wound up and that keeps us awake at night with their howls and barking.

 

In the past we have had rats - easily trapped with a bit of oyster-sauce flavoured pork as bait - and snakes - evicted with a can of Chaindrite sprayed liberally into the void. This has also been seen to work with the Geckos as they came out under the tiled eaves. We do try to seal up holes but some are inaccessible above fragile roofs. I was nearly killed when a roof collapsed under me causing considerable injuries so no one is allowed up there now.

 

How can I drive these little buggers out? I read that it can be a chore, anyone else had success or is it a powerful torch job head and shoulders up the access hatches and target practice with a BB gun?

I the past I have Made a Long extension on the vacuum cleaner Just Suck them up. 

What you with them is up to you, Let them go somewhere or Let the Lady of the house cook and eat them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Become a responsible dog owner and a responsible neighbor -  - Train your dogs.

 

They are also driving your neighbors crazy -  if the sound of lizard claws gets 4 dogs barking, then many other things do also.

 

Train them before your neighbors figure out what they can feed your dogs to solve their problem.

 

And if you don't mind post your address so I can make sure I don't ever live within 500 yards of your residence.

Edited by JimmyJ
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Crossy said:

Mothballs (naphthalene balls) seem to discourage most wildlife if you can get them into the space.

 

Get the big ones from makro and put them in cloth bags on fishing line so you can get them out again once the beasties have moved out.

I tried moth balls on the window sills to no avail.  The Geckos came in anyway and laid their eggs in the sliding window tracks.  My wife put them on the inside as well and the only thing they drove out was me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sirocco said:

(snip)
They are very fond, too, of pieces of bread.

We sometimes get rats in our loft.

One of those rectangular mesh-box traps with as spring-loaded door, baited with a slice of apple, works wonderfully for catching them.

If tokays are fond of bread, you could try baiting traps with bread, and see if you catch some.

 

We had a tokay which used to hang on the wall outside our bedroom window and serenade us each night.

One night I went out and gave it a good whacking with a stick, and it decided to move elsewhere.

Maybe the fact that I'd forgotten to get dressed before going out had something to do with it's decision...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...