Another Variation on Driving Licence Renewal

MartinL

I went to my local DLT office today to see what was required there for a 5-year licence renewal, due in 2 weeks.

There have been all sorts of different requirements reported in different offices but I've never come across this one before.

They were quite willing to renew the licence using my yellow book and pink card BUT the licence would only be valid for driving in the local amphur where the book was issued. They had no answer when I asked if the licence would be different to a 'nationwide' licence and how anybody in, say, Chiang Rai would know the licence was only for local use in Phon.

The GOOD news was that if I renewed using my passport and details from the expiring licence, they wouldn't need a Letter of Residence from Immigration.

Came away will a slight grin on my face and shaking my head in disbelief. All this <deleted> just leaves me amused these days rather than frustrated.

I'll go with the second option but fully expect the passport and old licence won't be sufficient when actual renewal time comes and a trip to Immi. will be needed but I might be pleasantly surprised.

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

They were quite willing to renew the licence using my yellow book and pink card BUT the licence would only be valid for driving in the local amphur where the book was issued.

This is surely one of those ‘lost in translation’ explanation.... either the officer completely misunderstood the regulations or his explanation was very flawed. 

The Thai Driving licence is a national license, there is no provincial limitation. 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is surely one of those ‘lost in translation’ explanation.... either the officer completely misunderstood the regulations or his explanation was very flawed. 

The Thai Driving licence is a national license, there is no provincial limitation. 

Yes of course it is, RS. But no point in arguing with them and renewing with passport is no hassle so long as no trip to Immi. is necessary.

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You didn't say to which DLT you went, but as far as I know a yellow book is accepted as proof of address (and thus no certificate of residence from immigration required) in all provinces except Chonburi, nothing new.

Phon, Khon Kaen DLT.

Maybe read the post again. The point of my post was to highlight the fact that the local DLT believe using a yellow book to renew restricts the area validity of a driving licence, some thing I've never heard of before and which sounded completely ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Maybe read the post again. The point of my post was to highlight the fact that the local DLT believe using a yellow book to renew restricts the area validity of a driving licence, some thing I've never heard of before and which sounded completely ridiculous. 

They most likely meant that if you use the pink id card instead of a passport, then the driving license would be limited.

It had nothing to do with the yellow house book as proof of address used together with your passport.

Which is also why they told you that you don't need a letter from immigration (but they will want your yellow house book as proof of address)

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see where this goes in a couple of weeks. 

I really want to see one of these ‘provincial’ licenses - I think you should ask specifically for one of those, MarinL, just to see what you get, or at least watch them back-pedal !

FYI - the Passport and Yellow house book should secure you a full 5 yr renewal DL without any need for a letter of address from immigration. 

Additionally: When I obtained my DL renewal last year the DLT were only interested my Pink ID and my Passport, they were not interested in copies of the yellow book which seemed strange to me (DLT Area 3 Sukhumvit Bangkok). 

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

The thing is that the one behind the desk makes up the rules as he goes.

Read my experience on 16 December

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/?do=findComment&comment=16086121

And again on 24 December, in the very same DLT office. Only difference was, there was another lady behind the desk.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/?do=findComment&comment=16108445

And when I went to pick up the 5 year license the next day.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/?do=findComment&comment=16110208

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1