Options to stay here in old age

Clive

I'm torn between retiring to the Philippines and Thailand, Thailand being my first choice for a number of reasons food and general quality of life and less poverty being just a couple. 

However one aspect that keeps cropping up in my mind is ease of stay here. 

Looking way into the future what options are open to foreigners who can't make it to the immigration office to renew their visa due to inability to walk/alzheimers or some other medical condition. 

I'd love to hear your views as a worse case scenario would be to be deported back to my home country not knowing anyone in a frail condition or not having all my faculties. 

Thank you

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Best option is the expensive one. If you can pop for the 20 year Elite visa, 1,000,000 baht, Thai Elite staff generally handle the renewals for you. Why not, otherwise you have to keep 800,000 in the bank anyway for the annual renewal. Then hire a private nursing assistant to regularly care for your needs at your own home/condo. Your home should be near to hospitals that you have investigated for yourself as a rural location is not a good idea if you have medical needs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

Best option is the expensive one. If you can pop for the 20 year Elite visa, 1,000,000 baht, Thai Elite staff generally handle the renewals for you. Why not, otherwise you have to keep 800,000 in the bank anyway for the annual renewal. Then hire a private nursing assistant to regularly care for your needs at your own home/condo. Your home should be near to hospitals that you have investigated for yourself as a rural location is not a good idea if you have medical needs. 

Is that really true? The Elite staff actually do take care of annual extensions if you are in Thailand at the time? I'm skeptical about that assertion. Can people credibly back that up with some kind of evidence? 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is that really true? The Elite staff actually do take care of annual extensions if you are in Thailand at the time? I'm skeptical about that assertion. Can people credibly back that up with some kind of evidence? 

FAQ's Thai Elite... 

The Member is entitled a special five (5)-year multiple entry VISA with automatic approval of one (1) year stay. The Member doesn’t need to leave Thailand and get back again to extend the length of his or her stay rather he or she should pay just extension fee (1900 THB) as stated in the Thai Immigration and train Service duty charges.

https://thailandelitevisa.com/faqs/

4 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

FAQ's Thai Elite... 

The Member is entitled a special five (5)-year multiple entry VISA with automatic approval of one (1) year stay. The Member doesn’t need to leave Thailand and get back again to extend the length of his or her stay rather he or she should pay just extension fee (1900 THB) as stated in the Thai Immigration and train Service duty charges.

https://thailandelitevisa.com/faqs/

That is NOT the proof I asked for. A post suggested the Elite company takes care of the extensions for you. Like going to immigration for you like an AGENT might. They really don't do that, do they?

1 minute ago, Don Chance said:

Might look into Ecuador. You can buy a piece of property for 50k, then you can get residency. Universal heath care is $70 a month for everyone. Different climates to choose.

I have a friend in Panama... he says it is a breeze their and he owns land. I don't have any more details however. 

1 minute ago, Don Chance said:

Might look into Ecuador. You can buy a piece of property for 50k, then you can get residency. Universal heath care is $70 a month for everyone. Different climates to choose.

Sure, but watch out. Ecuador will require a police record report from Thailand if you've been living here and it has a short expiration date. As the immigration processes tend to take a very long time there, it would be super easy for your Thai document to expire before it's done. They have ZERO flexibility on such documents and they want everything apostilled or it's alternative (Thailand is not in that treaty). Also the public/private health care system in Colombia is rated much higher than Ecuador. 

5 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

You've posted a false assertion which I strongly suspected. 

I think they do help with 90 day reports if you live in Bangkok only. 

The visa assistance in that link is about the ORIGINAL Elite visa.

I don't see any mention of them actually taking for of the ANNUAL EXTENSIONS if you're in Thailand when they are due. If you aren't in Thailand when they are due, you don't need to do them at all, that is true.
So you're basic assertion is just wrong.

For me it would be a strong feature if I didn't need to do 90 day reports or annual extensions in Thailand. But living in Pattaya, NOPE.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

I have a friend in Panama... he says it is a breeze their and he owns land. I don't have any more details however. 

Panama is a good option but quite expensive in the Panama City region. There isn't a national health care system for expats so their stuck with expensive private insurance with underwriting policies (as in Thailand).

27 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

Best option is the expensive one. If you can pop for the 20 year Elite visa, 1,000,000 baht, Thai Elite staff generally handle the renewals for you

The link you provided says the cost is 2,000,000 baht (or 1.5 million to upgrade if you already paid the 600k for 5 year option).  

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The link you provided says the cost is 2,000,000 baht (or 1.5 million to upgrade if you already paid the 600k for 5 year option).  

There are many options... I find this one the best option. 
Elite Superiority Extension

• Membership validity of 20 years
  • It costs 1 million Thai baht with no annual fee
  • The Elite Visa validity of 5 years and renewable for another 5 years

10 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

There are many options... I find this one the best option. 
Elite Superiority Extension

• Membership validity of 20 years
  • It costs 1 million Thai baht with no annual fee
  • The Elite Visa validity of 5 years and renewable for another 5 years

Strange as 5+5 would equal 10 to most of us.  So does that mean you are a member but can not stay in Thailand for the other 10 years?