Options to stay here in old age

Clive

On 2/15/2021 at 5:53 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

If you qualify for the proper visa for you, then there are no visa issues... 

If you are ill, the doctors, I think issue a letter.. but accommodations are made... 

Are they?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, timendres said:

At this point, I would be much more concerned about the quality of the health care system, than dealing with immigration. In this regard, Thailand is a top choice in SEA.

The Philippines have great doctors. If I had to chose only depending on this I would have left Thailand long time ago already. I could tell you many bad stories of my medical experience here in Thailand. The worst was a wrongly diagnosed lung cancer at one of the top hospitals here. A doctor on the Philippines clarified this within minutes when he saw my x-rays and scans - he could not believe such a stupid diagnosis. I better don't write here what he said. Many of the doctors there studied in the US. And my dentist over there is one of the best I ever had.

What is not so good is the infrastructure for Western people in respect of transportation and accommodation. In respect of food - it is up to you what you cook. But it should be a paradise for Americans - endless fast-food restaurants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Yet, that is exactly what bothers me about old age in Thailand or Philippines.

You cannot count on a return to Farangland at the end.

Nothing is certain in any part of life except death, and where old age is concerned, not even taxes if you are fly enough.????

Edited by possum1931
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The Philippines have great doctors. If I had to chose only depending on this I would have left Thailand long time ago already. I could tell you many bad stories of my medical experience here in Thailand. The worst was a wrongly diagnosed lung cancer at one of the top hospitals here. A doctor on the Philippines clarified this within minutes when he saw my x-rays and scans - he could not believe such a stupid diagnosis. I better don't write here what he said. Many of the doctors there studied in the US. And my dentist over there is one of the best I ever had.

What is not so good is the infrastructure for Western people in respect of transportation and accommodation. In respect of food - it is up to you what you cook. But it should be a paradise for Americans - endless fast-food restaurants. 

Doctors can be good/bad/indifferent everywhere and no place has perfection.  As said medical is not bad in the Philippines but transport can be a major factor in a serious emergency as getting to Manila can be a lot harder than getting to Bangkok for people living elsewhere and best facilities are going to be there.  But for general care doctors speaking good English (and understanding) can be a huge advantage and suspect there is a better chance of good general care most places in PI due to language ability.  Believe there are fewer in Thailand outside major cities that have the English ability to ask the right questions or often even understand what is being said.

Not only many fast food but prices that are reasonable - totally different than Thailand in that respect.  But little or no choice of frozen meals for those using microwaves and the local street food is often not what we want and not close to Thailand.  One reason that Manila/Subic/Angeles/Cebu/Dumagarte seem to attract foreigners without being all that much of a tourist attraction is likely the variety of foods available.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Does it really matter if you're dead?

No.

But it matters in the last straight line to death.

Probably something got lost in the "adaption" of my post, but I can not clarify.

I was not talking about "after" death.

Edited by oldhippy

On 2/15/2021 at 11:27 PM, Clive said:

I'm torn between retiring to the Philippines and Thailand, Thailand being my first choice for a number of reasons food and general quality of life and less poverty being just a couple. 

However one aspect that keeps cropping up in my mind is ease of stay here. 

Looking way into the future what options are open to foreigners who can't make it to the immigration office to renew their visa due to inability to walk/alzheimers or some other medical condition. 

I'd love to hear your views as a worse case scenario would be to be deported back to my home country not knowing anyone in a frail condition or not having all my faculties. 

Thank you

Nothing in this world is ever certain, but having lots of money and using a good agency for all immigration matters goes a long way to ensuring a smooth visa extension every year.

The main things, IMO, are having really good medical insurance which is extremely expensive ( I left because I couldn't afford that AND keep the 800,000 in the bank ) and keeping the 800,000 baht in an untouched account. If you can't afford to leave 800,000 in an account permanently, IMO you can't afford to stay in LOS.

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Thailand - No country for old men.

I wouldn’t want to end my days in Thailand, particularly if I lost my faculties. 

A lot of older farang 70 to 85 end up dying on the floor because they don't have insurance or money for hospital when serious symptoms present themselves. It's sad and I've witnessed it first hand.

The crazy part is most would rather die like that than have to go back home. 

• Like 2

It's a shame so many discussions get so derailed:

The op asked about living here in old age.  My wife and I have lived in Udon for 24 years.  We've known lots of 80's and young 90's (if there is such a thing) guys who have served out their final days here.  Many needed a nursing assistant at the home to help out.  If you have the money, you can do it.....and it's not that expensive.  I've known a few who were legitimately bedbound for a few years and didn't renew their extension/90 day report and no one bothered them.  

I've looked into the Chiangmai retired home.....just for info.  For around $2000 a month, you get what appears to be excellent facilities/care.  Maybe more if you're truly bedbound.  A vet friend of mine recently was admitted to a small nursing home in Udon.....not the best care/facility in the world, but 24 hour care for around 15,000 baht per month.  

Given the sad state of affairs with nursing homes in the US, I'd gladly pay $2000+ for the care in a Thai facility, if'n'when the day comes.  

As for hospitals, we've been marooned in the US for one year, due to go back in 2 days.  We've talked with several people who have had the same problems with misdiagnosis.....including our son-in-law (then) who had leukemia and was diagnosed with bronchitis.....for 2 months.....before the right hospital determined his problem.  Thanks to the efforts of people like Sheryl on this forum, you can find many first class doctors/hospitals in Thailand.   

On 2/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, Andy from Kent said:

Pretty much the main issue of remaining in Thailand is not being able to maintain the 28,000 Thai Baht in a bank account for the required amount of time.    Other  than that  issue, there really are few obstacles to remaining in  Thailand.

I think you mean $28,000, not bahts.

3 hours ago, kokesaat said:

It's a shame so many discussions get so derailed:

The op asked about living here in old age.  My wife and I have lived in Udon for 24 years.  We've known lots of 80's and young 90's (if there is such a thing) guys who have served out their final days here.  Many needed a nursing assistant at the home to help out.  If you have the money, you can do it.....and it's not that expensive.  I've known a few who were legitimately bedbound for a few years and didn't renew their extension/90 day report and no one bothered them.  

I've looked into the Chiangmai retired home.....just for info.  For around $2000 a month, you get what appears to be excellent facilities/care.  Maybe more if you're truly bedbound.  A vet friend of mine recently was admitted to a small nursing home in Udon.....not the best care/facility in the world, but 24 hour care for around 15,000 baht per month.  

Given the sad state of affairs with nursing homes in the US, I'd gladly pay $2000+ for the care in a Thai facility, if'n'when the day comes.  

As for hospitals, we've been marooned in the US for one year, due to go back in 2 days.  We've talked with several people who have had the same problems with misdiagnosis.....including our son-in-law (then) who had leukemia and was diagnosed with bronchitis.....for 2 months.....before the right hospital determined his problem.  Thanks to the efforts of people like Sheryl on this forum, you can find many first class doctors/hospitals in Thailand.   

Excellent point. I wish someone would publish a list of the assisted living facilities or nursing homes available to elderly expats here in Thailand. It's a great business opportunity for those Thais whose hotels are shuttered but could be converted. 

24 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

Excellent point. I wish someone would publish a list of the assisted living facilities or nursing homes available to elderly expats here in Thailand. It's a great business opportunity for those Thais whose hotels are shuttered but could be converted. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, DoneTravelling said:

You really believe Thailand is tops in health, wow. Hospitals are fairly inept, private hospitals are just money grabbing. 

My wife had constant headaches, after a 10 minute consultation in a private hospital she was crying like crazy, the quack had told her she needed emergency brain surgery, it turned out she had blocked sinuses. Numerous other doctor stories I can tell.

Wow,thats realy scarey.

Always get a second opinion,or third opinion,if major,like that..

Your poor wife...to have to go through that unnecessarily...omg..

5 hours ago, madmen said:

A lot of older farang 70 to 85 end up dying on the floor because they don't have insurance or money for hospital when serious symptoms present themselves. It's sad and I've witnessed it first hand.

The crazy part is most would rather die like that than have to go back home. 

Not crazy at all, IMO. I'd rather live large in LOS than small in the home country, even if it meant dying on the floor, but as I can't get my pension in LOS I'd run out of money before I ran out of life, and LOS is no place to be poor in. As I'd not be able to renew my extension every year I'd be having a very bad time when it caught up with me, so I left, though I'd certainly prefer to be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sghanchey said:

Without the trained staff available, it's not an option to be opening more assisted living facilities or nursing homes available to elderly expats. However, if they could also open training facilities it could be an employment opportunity for ex bar girls that can't work in bars ( because they are closed, possibly for a very long time ).

Of course, it'd have to be coupled with immigration policies better than the ones in force now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not crazy at all, IMO. I'd rather live large in LOS than small in the home country, even if it meant dying on the floor, but as I can't get my pension in LOS I'd run out of money before I ran out of life, and LOS is no place to be poor in. As I'd not be able to renew my extension every year I'd be having a very bad time when it caught up with me, so I left, though I'd certainly prefer to be there.

What country you in? Most age pensions are portable and 15 k will sort out your visa 

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't get my pension in LOS

That sucks. What's the deal there, I thought Kiwis could get paid overseas similar to Aussies and not frozen like Brits?

Edited by Salerno
Typo

5 hours ago, kokesaat said:

For around $2000 a month, you get what appears to be excellent facilities/care.  Maybe more if you're truly bedbound.  A vet friend of mine recently was admitted to a small nursing home in Udon.....not the best care/facility in the world, but 24 hour care for around 15,000 baht per month.  

$2000/m is an enormous sum for most of us!  Even $500/m could be difficult.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Without the trained staff available . . . 

You seem very knowledgable in this area.  It would be useful if you could explain this subject area in more detail, or post a link to a source of information about these aspects of running such facilities here.

4 minutes ago, PGSan said:

You seem very knowledgable in this area.  It would be useful if you could explain this subject area in more detail, or post a link to a source of information about these aspects of running such facilities here.

I'm a registered staff nurse and have nurse friends that work in retirement homes. An untrained person can do a lot of damage to old bodies if they don't know to look after them properly. I didn't work with the aged after I graduated, but did so quite a bit during training.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That sucks. What's the deal there, I thought Kiwis could get paid overseas similar to Aussies and not frozen like Brits?

Depends on the individual. Some can, but I can't. Basically I needed more years in home country to qualify to get it in LOS, but because I used my savings to stay there as long as I could, I no longer have enough money to have 800,000 baht in the bank, so even if I qualify in three years time I don't have enough money to live there.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Basically I needed more years in home country to qualify to get it in LOS

Sorry to hear that, sometimes decisions in our earlier years do in fact come back to bite us on the <deleted>. But, you've not only travelled, you've lived and worked in places around the world and so experienced other places/cultures and made memories in more depth than a lot of people even nowadays will.