Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

REAL helmet sun visor film


Recommended Posts

Had my REAL brand helmet for about a year and really like the fit and internal sun visor but the dark colouring on the visor is 'cracking' and 'peeling' off in a 'crazed' pattern. Getting quite distracting and letting the glare in. 

 

Shop I bought it from (In Chiangmai) says there's nothing can be done (and just to put the visor up - very helpful!). Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, perhaps for how to remove the surface layer (it doesn't seem to be a film) so I could then put some dark film over it? 

IMG_6174.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I would stop using it and get sunglasses instead. I stopped using my sun visor, better vision without it

Know what you mean, used to do that, but the visor is much more convenient/flexible than trying to put on/take off sunglasses while riding in/out of sunny conditions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try using a bit of colgate toothpaste on a micro fibre cloth, on a part of the visor that isn't in your line of vision. 

If you can get it clear, then do the whole lot, and replace it with a lightly tinted film. 

Seen the colgate thing done on YouTube with glasses with uv coating. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

You could try using a bit of colgate toothpaste on a micro fibre cloth, on a part of the visor that isn't in your line of vision. 

If you can get it clear, then do the whole lot, and replace it with a lightly tinted film. 

Seen the colgate thing done on YouTube with glasses with uv coating. 

 

Thanks NSD. Remember trying that with yellowing lenses on car headlights, but just tried it on this and doesn't seem to have any effect. (Maybe I shouldn't have used the "sensitive" version?) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CMMCB said:

 but just tried it on this and doesn't seem to have any effect. (Maybe I shouldn't have used the "sensitive" version?) 

 

Inside as well? I suspect it is laminated but...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CMMCB said:

Thanks NSD. Remember trying that with yellowing lenses on car headlights, but just tried it on this and doesn't seem to have any effect. (Maybe I shouldn't have used the "sensitive" version?) 

Maybe put a hair dryer or heat gun over it? 

Your last resort is always chemicals. 

Something will remove it... 

You just have to find out what. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of long shot but try Acetone....!

 

I have seen these pop out and can be exchanged on some models, but I doubt it's possible on Real.

 

Problem I got on mine is the mechanism has become loose, so it slowly drops down a bit...!!!, I'm told they can't be repaired, well, not on mine, but I have see on YouTube guys can get to it on some models...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the visor isn't usable as is. As they used to say in the Merchant or Real Navy. Fix it or f(intercourse) it.

Scratch both sides of visor somewhere well out of the field of vision to ascertain if the tint is on the inside or outside. having established this try hair dryer et. al. and remove the tint. Acetone (nail polish remover from 7-Eleven) will probably cause the visor to go cloudy. But again you can try a spot out of your field of vision.

 

As you cannot use it as is , you won't be making it any worse!

 

Note: A pair of photocromic sun glasses are less than 100 baht. Really posh cycling ones are about 300B

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9cadeba304c77ecbc13e5e2865e005c1.jpg_q80

 

These fancy sunglasses have interchangeable lenses. So if you only replace one lens with photochromic, when the sun comes out you instantly look like a pirate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I was considering a flip-up helmet for my next one and was interested in the new Real Storm ...

 

But made in Thailand and seeing your post has put me off a bit now, why this happened on yours, just normal use...!?

 

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/real-storm-force-flip-up-i1929744117.html

 

Flip ups are out, rarely do you see any around town. I'd buy an open face with a chin guard if I could. Some flip ups go right around the back, they look better, Bell Broozer looks the best 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Flip ups are out, rarely do you see any around town.

Maybe on Click riders, but every one of the guys I ride regularly with uses one.

They are called modular

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Maybe on Click riders, but every one of the guys I ride regularly with uses one.

They are called modular

Yes you get those plonkers with all the very hot gear on at 35°C, they just look daft

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an open face now and I like it, big visor and also drop down sun visor, but after 90kph it's very noisy and uncomfortable, so looking for something for long trips and high speed - or should get a very tall windshield for my old Forza...!

 

The flip-up or modular that goes all the way back of course are nice, but I have not found one below 15k baht, pricey...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes you get those plonkers with all the very hot gear on at 35°C, they just look daft

555 - best get up to date on riding gear

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I got an open face now and I like it, big visor and also drop down sun visor, but after 90kph it's very noisy and uncomfortable, so looking for something for long trips and high speed - or should get a very tall windshield for my old Forza...!

 

The flip-up or modular that goes all the way back of course are nice, but I have not found one below 15k baht, pricey...

 

Ear plugs will cut a lot of noise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll keep trying.

 

The crazing is on the outer side only. I already have photochromic sunglasses but a little difficult to put on inside a full face helmet. Will be doing that though until find another solution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Can't buy a replacement visor ?

Try Helmet 2 Home

If not, buy a helmet where you can get spares

Seems I must have bought one of the last of that style and there are no spares available (this from the biggest helmet shop in CM, afaik.) Will try helmet to home though, on Chotana Rd, right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was considering a flip-up helmet for my next one and was interested in the new Real Storm ...

 

But made in Thailand and seeing your post has put me off a bit now, why this happened on yours, just normal use...!?

 

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/real-storm-force-flip-up-i1929744117.html

 

Good question. Not really sure. Nobody else has said they had a similar problem. Yet. Definitely no "abnormal" use. 😉

I keep the helmet in a top box when I leave the bike anywhere and in the shade out the front of the house when at home. Let's see if anyone else reports similar. If not, I'd be tempted by Real again but would check about availability of spares first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CMMCB said:

Seems I must have bought one of the last of that style and there are no spares available (this from the biggest helmet shop in CM, afaik.) Will try helmet to home though, on Chotana Rd, right? 

 

If it was me, I would contact Real helmet directly.

 

https://www.real-helmets.com/

 

Putting a film on it after you succeeded in taking off the damaged layer, will not work anyway.

 

I have asked this years ago in professional window film shops, and they all say it is not possible because the screen is curved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CMMCB said:

Not really sure. Nobody else has said they had a similar problem. Yet. Definitely no "abnormal" use.

 

From the picture you posted in the OP, it looks as if it is only at one side of the visor.

 

Could it be that at one point in the past, some aggressive fluid was spilled on it, maybe even unknowingly while riding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Susco said:

 

From the picture you posted in the OP, it looks as if it is only at one side of the visor.

 

Could it be that at one point in the past, some aggressive fluid was spilled on it, maybe even unknowingly while riding?

 

Nah, it's both sides. No fluid that I know of, but who knows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CMMCB said:

Seems I must have bought one of the last of that style and there are no spares available (this from the biggest helmet shop in CM, afaik.) Will try helmet to home though, on Chotana Rd, right? 

New name Helmet Shop Chiang Mai (Number One)

Sridonchai Road across from Suriwong Book Center

18.78138  98.99693

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I bought some unknown eye glass cleaning spray, didn't think of it much, after like 6 months use I noticed coating on the lenses are kind of faded/scratched/damaged , I always use soft microfiber cloth, so I suspected that spray - though they also get damage by age..., so watch for cleaning sprays (for anything), now I try to find some known brands etc...

 

So are you happy with build quality of Real...? There is also another Thai manufacturer, Bimola.., but front runner for me at the moment is MT model Atom, Spanish company but China made...!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Last year I bought some unknown eye glass cleaning spray, didn't think of it much, after like 6 months use I noticed coating on the lenses are kind of faded/scratched/damaged , I always use soft microfiber cloth, so I suspected that spray - though they also get damage by age..., so watch for cleaning sprays (for anything), now I try to find some known brands etc...

 

So are you happy with build quality of Real...? There is also another Thai manufacturer, Bimola.., but front runner for me at the moment is MT model Atom, Spanish company but China made...!

 

Yes, happy with the build. And seen many posters on here recommend before too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

New name Helmet Shop Chiang Mai (Number One)

Sridonchai Road across from Suriwong Book Center

18.78138  98.99693

 

Yes, bought a few things from that shop. Great place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...