Dutchman from Phuket arrested for ‘Shopping Mall’ app scam

snoop1130

Dutchman from Phuket arrested for ‘Shopping Mall’ app scam 

By The Phuket News

1613388616_1-org.jpg

The arrest of the Dutchman, who had been staying in Kathu, was announced in Bangkok today (Feb 15). Photo:CCBI

PHUKET:-- Police are calling for all people who fell prey to the scam rolled out through the ‘Shopping Mall’ app to file reports of how much money they lost to the scheme. Police believe that more than 1,000 people in Phuket and on Koh Samui were duped out of money through the scam.

The call for victims to file reports of how much money they lost came today as police announced the arrest of a Dutch national for operating the scam.

The Dutchman, named today by police only as “Mr Wesley”, was taken into custody at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok last Thursday night (Feb 11), said Lt Gen Kanchai Khlaikhleung of the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB).

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dutchman-from-phuket-arrested-for-shopping-mall-app-scam -79023.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-02-15

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good job arresting him, all credit to the police here. He was arrested in Bangkok waiting to board a flight with his Finnish wife and daughter, I just pity what will happen to the child now, I know the embassy should do something but even so.

Did they also arrest the wife and daughter?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good job arresting him, all credit to the police here. He was arrested in Bangkok waiting to board a flight with his Finnish wife and daughter, I just pity what will happen to the child now, I know the embassy should do something but even so.

If he's a criminal acting in Thailand the embassy can only offer assistance in possibly finding him a lawyer, the rest is up to the courts and they will have little sympathy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Who were those scammed? Thais, foreigners or a mixture of both?  In this day and age it amazes me that so many people are so gullible. If it appears too good to be true, then it invariably is. Keep clear!

An old  saying..A fool and his money soon do part .

Good news on the Thai Authorities catching this guy while trying to leave the country

Let's hope he gets a punishment that fits the crime  if found guilty

Which sends out a message to others as no doubt there will be 

Of the seriousness of fraud ect in Thailand 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

the article here does not even state what he did ... clickbait for other papers ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1205670-foreigners-at-work-google-translate-giveaway-sounded-alarm-bells-for-some-in-shopping-mall-fraud/

Luring greedy people to an online scam promising multifold profits.

Some think they were not greedy but desparate.

Make up your own mind.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Who were those scammed? Thais, foreigners or a mixture of both?  In this day and age it amazes me that so many people are so gullible. If it appears too good to be true, then it invariably is. Keep clear!

Yes I agree..but his timing was excellent; so many thousands out of work with no chance of income, both Thais and Falang...it was the setting for the perfect scam. But my heart goes out to those who thought they had found a lifeline only to have it snatched away.

8 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Anyway, scammers, i despies them deeply, very good job by the Thai police. Jailtime PLEASE!! Including the wife.

The wife might very well have nothing to do with it. Even if she knew something was cooking, she could have been told a half truth. And if she did not participate in that software at all, and doesn’t keep any of the scammed money, I just don’t see any need for her to be jailed, just let her take care of their child as his mother. Cause the child for sure is not to be blamed for what his parents (rather father did). 

Edited by ctxa

I only wish that the Thai woman (not HiSo) who was/is married to a German Dentist at the time in Chalong and for whom has an arrest warrant been issued in 2016 for cheating me and others of various amounts, would one day be arrested as well. Even with brown encouragements (not given to traffic police) not much happened, except writing off the encouragements as well????

And yes, I switch off my brain at the time as others did too.

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Perhaps his wife, the child's mother, will continue to look after her.