I Had No Reason to Stop, but Here is my story of quitting cigarettes

good on you, and maybe you should have a can of snus

as backup in case you go out drinking,

i also quit but when a friend came over and insisted on drinking every gawd day for 2 weeks in a row, the craving for a sig when

drinking became overwhelming and i fell back into the trap.

i have snus now so i can quit any day but life is boring so i smoke and pretend i get anything out of it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

Aside from knowing the deleterious health effects ? What further motivation could you need ?

You’re right. I wasn’t ignorant to the health risks, I simply chose to ignore them, I didn’t care and had zero motivation to stop. That’s what is why my story is a bit unusual. I had no desire to quit, but after a hospital stay I was no longer interested in smoking. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

How very strange headline: I had no reason to stop???? Everybody have a reason. That is to in as good as possible way plan a better and healthier life. Ok, there is no guarantees, but a lot is documented.

Most people have vices, whether good or bad. It’s just something that is an integral part of our lives. Smoking was one of mine.  I didn’t have any desire or motivation to stop just to try and live a healthier life . The smoking cessation thing  just happened. I think it was due to the medications while I was hospitalized. They were painkillers, corticosteroids, anti-anxiety and nerve pain pills. And perhaps in my primitive thoughts I knew it wasn’t good for survival. 

Regardless, I am pleased that I no longer smoke and carry the stigmas associated with it. If anyone wishes to disparage me or diminish my accomplishment, feel free I don’t mind!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

I guess it would have been more accurate to say that the 'addiction' to nicotine was stronger than the knowledge of the damage it was doing to your health. Classic reason why cigarettes are so dangerous....

Thank you; so simply and truthfully spoken. 

• Like 1

A good friend of mine ( work colleague ) smoked for many years despite attempting to quit various times.

His job, on the road, could be stressful at times and the relaxing in the evening usually included a few beers, so smoking was inevitable.

Last October he travelled from Thailand to Germany for a return visit to a factory for installation of some equipment. Due to return in late November he fell ill and ended up in hospital, they diagnosed advanced throat cancer and started chemotherapy but it spread rapidly.

He died alone in that hospital in Germany on Dec 26th, his wife and child in Thailand praying for his safe return. He was 58.

I quit about 25 years ago, but if I hadn’t had then I would certainly have destroyed any cigarettes I owned on that day, Dec 26th 2020.

OP, keep at it , it’s not only you who suffers through the after effects of smoking !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Hello all, I’ve been a member but haven’t posted much, as I enjoy reading more than posting.

When I came across this topic, I felt that I had to write something. Whether it helps 1 person or none is not my goal, I just wished to share my reality. 

I started smoking cigarettes in high school. Not a lot, maybe 5 or 6 a day. Once I was graduated school and had a job with lots of extra cash to spend I increased to 1 pack a day. This was around age 20. Then I signed on for the service in 1983.<deleted> EVERYONE smoked, it was the culture. We’d smoke in meetings, smoke aboard the aircraft, in the mess hall, the library.... even the <deleted> gym! During formation breaks, smokers were allowed to fall out and smoke while the other dumbass healthy kids had to stand at parade rest. 

Fast forward 15 years. The rules had tightened about smoking so I switched to chewing tobacco Skoal. I chewed a can a day for the next 8 years or so until I retired and returned to cigarettes. 

After 30 years service and my retirement, I moved to Bangkok.

On a trip to the USA, I incurred a broken leg by a fall at the airport. It was a severe tibial plateau fracture and I had surgery with bone graft and titanium stabilization plates and screws. I still smoked during this, as I spent only a single night in the hospital. 

Moving along nearly 2 years later, I consulted A doctor at Bumrungrad Hospital near my home in Bangkok. He recommended that I get the titanium plates removed and also that he repair a torn meniscus that he found on the MRI. I was all for it and we scheduled the surgery immediately. Everything went well and I spent six days in the hospital. I couldn’t leave my floor, I couldn’t go anywhere. The medication they gave me were for healing my knee, which worked really well. However, with those meds and my hospital stay I believe those factors took away the craving to smoke. When I was released from the hospital I had a pack of cigarettes with two left in the pack. So, outside the hospital I sat down and lit up, feeling like “oh, this is gonna be good”, but it was the most disgusting <deleted> thing ever. I coughed and heaved like a schoolboy’s first smoke. I was in shock. I never had any real motivation to quit smoking, I rather enjoyed smoking but apparently my body didn’t like it and somehow, being in the hospital for a few days took all the cravings away.

This happened in Aug 2020. I’ve met with friends who smoke when we get together for a Singha or whatever and their smoking doesn’t bother me a bit. 

I guess I am lucky. So many people struggle and have miserable experiences. For those of you enduring the struggle, I am wishing all of you the best in your efforts to stop and send blessings that it isn’t too awfully difficult. You CAN do it. 

-James

Congratulations, you've done very well. But don't ever think that you had 'no reason to stop'. 

read this:

''Smoking restricts the flow of oxygen-rich blood that nourishes bones, muscles and joints and helps them heal. Smoking affects the body's ability to absorb calcium, leading to lower bone density and weaker bones. Nicotine slows the production of the bone-forming cells that are so crucial to healing''.

A Thai surgeon explained this to me when I broke my leg 5 years ago. Fortunately I had already quit many years previously and it did indeed heal well.

Keep it up, it's well worth it for many reasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Most people have vices, whether good or bad. It’s just something that is an integral part of our lives. Smoking was one of mine.  I didn’t have any desire or motivation to stop just to try and live a healthier life . The smoking cessation thing  just happened. I think it was due to the medications while I was hospitalized. They were painkillers, corticosteroids, anti-anxiety and nerve pain pills. And perhaps in my primitive thoughts I knew it wasn’t good for survival. 

Regardless, I am pleased that I no longer smoke and carry the stigmas associated with it. If anyone wishes to disparage me or diminish my accomplishment, feel free I don’t mind!

I was in no way trying to diminish your accomplishment. If so, please tell me how I did that. It was only strange to me. I have also been smoking, but stopped like3-4 years ago. I just said that I jnow for a fact, that everyone have a reason to stop smoke. It´s a fact that it´s not healthy, and that will therefore be everyones reason.

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A good friend of mine ( work colleague ) smoked for many years despite attempting to quit various times.

His job, on the road, could be stressful at times and the relaxing in the evening usually included a few beers, so smoking was inevitable.

Last October he travelled from Thailand to Germany for a return visit to a factory for installation of some equipment. Due to return in late November he fell ill and ended up in hospital, they diagnosed advanced throat cancer and started chemotherapy but it spread rapidly.

He died alone in that hospital in Germany on Dec 26th, his wife and child in Thailand praying for his safe return. He was 58.

I quit about 25 years ago, but if I hadn’t had then I would certainly have destroyed any cigarettes I owned on that day, Dec 26th 2020.

OP, keep at it , it’s not only you who suffers through the after effects of smoking !!

RIP to your friend and sorry for your loss and that of all those who loved him. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:54 AM, 2112 said:

Hello all, I’ve been a member but haven’t posted much, as I enjoy reading more than posting.

When I came across this topic, I felt that I had to write something. Whether it helps 1 person or none is not my goal, I just wished to share my reality. 

I started smoking cigarettes in high school. Not a lot, maybe 5 or 6 a day. Once I was graduated school and had a job with lots of extra cash to spend I increased to 1 pack a day. This was around age 20. Then I signed on for the service in 1983.<deleted> EVERYONE smoked, it was the culture. We’d smoke in meetings, smoke aboard the aircraft, in the mess hall, the library.... even the <deleted> gym! During formation breaks, smokers were allowed to fall out and smoke while the other dumbass healthy kids had to stand at parade rest. 

Fast forward 15 years. The rules had tightened about smoking so I switched to chewing tobacco Skoal. I chewed a can a day for the next 8 years or so until I retired and returned to cigarettes. 

After 30 years service and my retirement, I moved to Bangkok.

On a trip to the USA, I incurred a broken leg by a fall at the airport. It was a severe tibial plateau fracture and I had surgery with bone graft and titanium stabilization plates and screws. I still smoked during this, as I spent only a single night in the hospital. 

Moving along nearly 2 years later, I consulted A doctor at Bumrungrad Hospital near my home in Bangkok. He recommended that I get the titanium plates removed and also that he repair a torn meniscus that he found on the MRI. I was all for it and we scheduled the surgery immediately. Everything went well and I spent six days in the hospital. I couldn’t leave my floor, I couldn’t go anywhere. The medication they gave me were for healing my knee, which worked really well. However, with those meds and my hospital stay I believe those factors took away the craving to smoke. When I was released from the hospital I had a pack of cigarettes with two left in the pack. So, outside the hospital I sat down and lit up, feeling like “oh, this is gonna be good”, but it was the most disgusting <deleted> thing ever. I coughed and heaved like a schoolboy’s first smoke. I was in shock. I never had any real motivation to quit smoking, I rather enjoyed smoking but apparently my body didn’t like it and somehow, being in the hospital for a few days took all the cravings away.

This happened in Aug 2020. I’ve met with friends who smoke when we get together for a Singha or whatever and their smoking doesn’t bother me a bit. 

I guess I am lucky. So many people struggle and have miserable experiences. For those of you enduring the struggle, I am wishing all of you the best in your efforts to stop and send blessings that it isn’t too awfully difficult. You CAN do it. 

-James

If you stop enjoying why persist . I enjoy a cigarette with a beer and enjoy . 

I smoked for 50+ years and finally on my 5th try QUIT. About 40 years of a pack a day habit. My motivation to quit was that I felt chained to cigarettes. I couldn't go on a trip or a vacation or anywhere without first considering do I have enough cigarettes with me or will I be able to get some where I am going. So how did I finally succeed? I started using the skin patches and I made a promise to God (I'm not especially religious and I am not a regular church goer) that I would never smoke another cigarette as long as I lived. About the 3rd day into it I forgot to put on a new patch in the morning. By mid afternoon I realized I didn't have a patch on and thought well I guess I don't need any more patches. Every time I got the urge to smoke, I thought of that promise and the urge went away immediately. God's grace helped me. You may break a promise to your wife or mother or father or kids but promises made to God, people tend to take more seriously. At least that was true in my case.