Thailand may INCREASE  quarantine for some travellers

webfact

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not about tourism at the moment, do you not get that?  No one is expecting tourists to do three weeks quarantine, this is about trying to protect Thailand from the virus.

So why are they saying they want tourists at the back of the quarter give ya heed a shake without tourism the country Is funked ????????????????????????????????????????

5 minutes ago, schvonsky1 said:

So why are they saying they want tourists at the back of the quarter give ya heed a shake without tourism the country Is funked ????????????????????????????????????????

5 minutes ago, schvonsky1 said:

It was said today this is the worst the economy has been since 1978, are the government trying to make it even worse. Military leaders who have no idea how to manage the economy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

None of the vaccines confer immunity.  They are only designed to prevent moderate to severe symptoms of the disease.  The J&J Vaccine is said to be 100% effective at preventing moderate and severe symptoms of the SA variant 69 days after the single shot vaccination.  In some people, protection against the virus wears off after about three months and people who have had and recovered from one variant of the disease can still catch a different strain.  Also, people who have had a mild case of the virus can be infected again with a more severe case.   In addition, the longer billions of people go unvaccinated, the more variant strains are likely to emerge.  This is likely to be a years-long complicated battle.  My money is on the J&J vaccine to become the best prophylactic for the foreseeable future but this is a war and there may be many twists and turns coming.  This is not the appropriate time to be thinking of leisure travel.  Beating the virus should be our sole focus.  As to the hungry and unemployed, governments and international institutions should step up to provide for their subsistence.  We need to go on a wartime footing against the virus.

Wow!!  this entire statement is just so wrong in so many ways.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not about tourism at the moment, do you not get that?  No one is expecting tourists to do three weeks quarantine, this is about trying to protect Thailand from the virus.

Then, I guess, all the land borders need to be locked completely.

But that, obviously, would stop the inflow of cheap labour.......

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Thailand vs Israel. Vaccination roll-out. Discuss.

Hmmmm.  You're harping on about percentages - your chart shows the two highest countries as Israel and the UAE - two countries with populations smaller than most major cities.  Not that they haven't been aggressive in the roll out, although Israel had an initial high burst then a big slow down.

Talking of aggressive, Israel is threatening to force anyone who doesn't accept the vaccine to undergo Covid tests every two days (and specified the most uncomfortable type) and be banned from public life.  You want Thailand to copy that to achieve high percentages?  Imagine the TVF outcry of human right abuses by the military government.  But Israel does it we should applaud it and Thailand is backward for not following?

Israel also blocked a the shipment of vaccines for essential front line workers from entering Gaza.  Israeli politicians even said the vaccines should only be allowed in in exchange for concessions from Hamas. Oh, and Palestinians living in the occupied territories are not eligible for the vaccine.  Yay, go Israel - if only Thailand were more like it.

No thanks, I prefer things here.

• Confused 1

On 2/16/2021 at 6:37 AM, Swiss1960 said:

They really do not want anymore tourists... 3 weeks of quarantine when you have a total of 4-5 weeks of holiday available per year from your work... 

same the world over. Best not to travel yet.

I am talking of tourists, not long termers.

Considering what we know about Thailand's selective testing...Truth is anyone arriving in any other country FROM Thailand should be scrutinized.

Which is what is most funny about this new threat from Thailand that of longer quarantines for those from risky countries.....Is anywhere more risky

than a untested or selectively tested country like Thailand?

The nerve/Thainess of these folks...Please Come visit Thailand

We will quarantine you at 10x the normal pre-covid hotel rates of stay & charge you for testing etc...Make sure you have a nice high limit in USD insurance policy...

Test you multiple times....AND THEN....Release you into a country that is likely MORE contaminated with COVID than the one your from 555

Yeah thanks but no thanks ????

Edited by meechai
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, meechai said:

The nerve/Thainess of these folks...Please Come visit Thailand

We will quarantine you at 10x the normal pre-covid hotel rates of stay & charge you for testing etc...Make sure you have a nice high limit in USD insurance policy...

The nerve / farangness of folks who come on here and post utter lies just to bash.

Explain why you believe the price of ASQ is ten times that of pre-Covid levels.  It is not more expensive at all and in many cases is even less.

Test you multiple times....AND THEN....Release you into a country that is likely MORE contaminated with COVID than the one your from 555

Again such incredible nonsense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Thailand vs Israel. Vaccination roll-out. Discuss.

Israel 76.25% per 100 people vaccinated

Thailand 0% per 100 people vaccinated

Not much more to add, stats says it all.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know when and where expats living here can expect to get a vaccination? I would like to get mine, no matter where it's from, just to get some feeling of normalcy. Right now we can't travel out of Thailand and get back in without serious hoops to jump thru! I like traveling to Singapore or KL once every few months just to get out of Dodge! At the moment we need a vaccination passport to go anywhere, and to get back in! I'll pay for the vaccine, just tell me where!! By the way, whatever happened to the vaccine that was supposed to be made here in Thailand in conjunction with Astra-Zeneca? The rest of the world is getting vaccinated, how long do we have to wait?!? 

• Haha 1

The covid 19 virus can be in your body for generally 14 days without you having symptoms.

There are cases though that it may take up to 21 days and maybe a few more before the

symptoms show up.  That Khao Yai is why there may be cases for a lengthen time for a 

longer quarantine.  Who really knows about the newer variants and how long before they

show symptoms?  2021 will be another year of learning even more of the Wuhan virus

I call it that as, if it was from somewhere else, why did we not hear about it earlier?

Just asking.

Geezer

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

The initial spread of covid was blame on the foreigners.
The second wave was brought in by the Thais bars girls.
Now the African covid was brought in by another Thai citizen. 

And now they want to put out more barriers to keep tourists from returning instead of placing more challenging restrictions on the Thai citizens traveling in/out of the country. 

What's next?......????????

They will actively look for new ways to blame foreigners. It’s simply the Thai way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Hmmmm.  You're harping on about percentages - your chart shows the two highest countries as Israel and the UAE - two countries with populations smaller than most major cities.  Not that they haven't been aggressive in the roll out, although Israel had an initial high burst then a big slow down.

Talking of aggressive, Israel is threatening to force anyone who doesn't accept the vaccine to undergo Covid tests every two days (and specified the most uncomfortable type) and be banned from public life.  You want Thailand to copy that to achieve high percentages?  Imagine the TVF outcry of human right abuses by the military government.  But Israel does it we should applaud it and Thailand is backward for not following?

Israel also blocked a the shipment of vaccines for essential front line workers from entering Gaza.  Israeli politicians even said the vaccines should only be allowed in in exchange for concessions from Hamas. Oh, and Palestinians living in the occupied territories are not eligible for the vaccine.  Yay, go Israel - if only Thailand were more like it.

No thanks, I prefer things here.

"Are you talkin to me?"

1 hour ago, neillyweilly said:

I'm a Brit in Namibia, on a ship (doing a 3 month trip), planning to come back to Thailand in May.

3 week quarantine is a painful prospect...????

Give you a tip mate, make sure you've all your travel history paperwork including your seamans book stamped up  when you sign off.   Seems as though seamen are getting a good deal travelling at the moment.  I signed off in Taiwan, ended up in Heathrow then legged it to Portugal..... Going to Turkey tomorrow.....  Hopefully i can get into Malaysia in the very near future...... I'm not jumping through the Thai hoops anymore, even though i live in Bkk.......  Just not worth it.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The covid 19 virus can be in your body for generally 14 days without you having symptoms.

There are cases though that it may take up to 21 days and maybe a few more before the

symptoms show up.  That Khao Yai is why there may be cases for a lengthen time for a 

longer quarantine.  Who really knows about the newer variants and how long before they

show symptoms?  2021 will be another year of learning even more of the Wuhan virus

I call it that as, if it was from somewhere else, why did we not hear about it earlier?

Just asking.

Geezer

Utter nonsense. The average time is 5 days. You may get extreme cases that take longer. But 21 days is just ludicrous. 

It's akin to speed limits - you can have a slow 10mph limit, and someone can still get hurt. But at what point do you say the risk to lower the speed limit incase 1 out of a million may get harm. In this instance that actual chance someone testing postive after 14 days is very rare. 

When Thailand isn't even testing quarantine workers in airports and asq hotels, pourous boders, they aren't exactly 100% fail proof. 

On 2/16/2021 at 8:12 AM, Blumpie said:

Oh boy three weeks in quarantine.  

Maybe.  

Maybe not.

Oh look, a butterfly!

It doesn't really matter if the idea applies to African or Brazilian variants. The word will be out, Thailand, already known for ambiguous rules and arbitrary decisions, will be known as somewhere where 3 weeks quarantine may be required. 

No - one, unless they have pressing personal (family) reasons for entering (to stay in) the country will bother.

• Like 1

2 million in a year had the virus when they died, which is something else than dying -from- the virus. In the same timeframe 7 million people died prematurly from air pollution, over 1 million died on the roads, 18 million people died of mcdonalds (cardiovascular diseases) and about 40 million died of other causes. Considering the average age of the diseased from the virus in the west is just months to a year shy of the average life expectancy, this virus really has minimal impact.

I am not saying the virus isn't here, it most certainly is, but it is a lot, A LOT, less of a problem than the world makes it out to be.

Why we do everything to prevent it, while we do nothing to prevent other causes is beyond me.

If Thailand even spend half the money on preventing traffic " accidents " and air pollution, we would save a lot more people than are dying from the virus.

I hope the hysteria stops at some point, but knowing people it probably won't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It doesn't really matter if the idea applies to African or Brazilian variants. The word will be out, Thailand, already known for ambiguous rules and arbitrary decisions, will be known as somewhere where 3 weeks quarantine may be required. 

AFAIK the first who introduced 21 days quarantine was HK

12 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Give you a tip mate, make sure you've all your travel history paperwork including your seamans book stamped up  when you sign off.   Seems as though seamen are getting a good deal travelling at the moment.  I signed off in Taiwan, ended up in Heathrow then legged it to Portugal..... Going to Turkey tomorrow.....  Hopefully i can get into Malaysia in the very near future...... I'm not jumping through the Thai hoops anymore, even though i live in Bkk.......  Just not worth it.... 

Thank you, mate. How is the quarantine situation in Malaysia? 

I really don't like this idea of having to do 3 weeks in a hotel in Bangkok - especially after three months in Dry Dock ????